Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video game console rental?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 9:31am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm wondering if there's anywhere in Kilkenny that does games console rentals. My folks have been muttering for a while that they think they'd like to get one but aren't sure about dropping the cash to buy one and then not use it, so it'd be good to rent one for a few weeks and let them try it out.

Is there anywhere that does this in Kilkenny? I've had a look around online and can't find anywhere, a couple of websites offer game-only rentals through the post but not for consoles (not surprising really).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

extravision are the only place i can think of that may do that. If they do you'll prob have to put in a fair size deposit. This is in case you run away with the machine :P

I'd look into what it'd cost to rent per night first and how long you're looking to rent it for as if you're renting if for a few weeks it mightn't work out that much different than buying say even a second hand one from Game or somewhere. Also when renting the console will any games come with it or will you have to rent them per night as well? In which case again i'd recommend looking to see what you'd get with a second hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Slick Flix in newpark shopping centre do gaming in their store, they might be a good bet either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Thanks for the replies - the crux of the matter is that my folks reckon they'd get into Wii Fit if they had a Wii and the board, after I showed them how it works the last time they were visiting. They have a bit of a tendency of being impressed by shiny new things that they then don't use though, so having spent about £400 on a pretty decent laptop for them as a family present only to see it sit unused in a cupboard, neither myself nor my brother and sister are too happy about spending the £230 odd it'd cost to buy them a Wii and Wii Fit unless we're reasonably convinced they'll actually use it.

I can live with a hefty deposit on the console as long as it's returnable - the main thing is just not to be paying for a new console and game, only for it to get used once and then forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies - the crux of the matter is that my folks reckon they'd get into Wii Fit if they had a Wii and the board, after I showed them how it works the last time they were visiting. They have a bit of a tendency of being impressed by shiny new things that they then don't use though, so having spent about £400 on a pretty decent laptop for them as a family present only to see it sit unused in a cupboard, neither myself nor my brother and sister are too happy about spending the £230 odd it'd cost to buy them a Wii and Wii Fit unless we're reasonably convinced they'll actually use it.

I can live with a hefty deposit on the console as long as it's returnable - the main thing is just not to be paying for a new console and game, only for it to get used once and then forgotten.

My mum was impressed with my wii fit when came round and got herself a second hand wii and a new wii fit from Gamestop in market cross for 200 euro. Still a fair few euro to throw down but something to keep in mind if they do want to buy one down the road but are only going to really use it for one game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fysh wrote: »
    so having spent about £400 on a pretty decent laptop for them as a family present only to see it sit unused in a cupboard, .

ah I know this feeling, except its a desktop :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I remember when neaarly all the video game shops used to do this years ago, used to rent out a sega megadrive or a super nintendo for a week.:)
    Not sure if they do it now though

Advertisement