Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Neutering my rabbit??

Options
  • 19-08-2009 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

This sounds daft but is it possible for a vet to give a buck rabbit a vasectomy like humans get, where the vas deferense are cut WITHOUT removing the testes?
    I don't want any baby rabbits but i don't want my rabbit to change personalities either. A part of me thinks it is cruel to desex him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I don't think so but why do that anyway the rabbit will have to go under anesthetic wether either op is done. Neutering is not cruel it's the responsible thing to do. It's vital with any smallie to get a very experienced rabbit vet to do the op and they will give a long acting pain killer and if you find the bun is still sore the next day then you can bring him in for another one.
    My site (below) has lots of info on before and after care when neutering rabbits.

It's cruel to have rabbits breeding over and over again unwanted litters that noone will take and then them ending up in rescues and not all rescues rehome. Rabbits are put to sleep if there's no space in some rescues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

It's cruel to have rabbits breeding over and over again unwanted litters that noone will take and then them ending up in rescues and not all rescues rehome. Rabbits are put to sleep if there's no space in some rescues.

I agree re the unwanted rabbits. I did say I don't want to breed him!
    But I like his boldness, energy and his affectionate ways. I don't want him to be a fat lifeless rabbit. I think that if we can preserve the hormones he has been used to and the personality that makes him unique, than I should try at %

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Neutering doesn't affect their behaviour except for any aggression or humping other than that after spaying/neutering their personality stays exactly the same. I've had a good few bunnies spayed over the years and never had any change of personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

The way the vet does it is actually less cruel as the sugery isn't as invasive, to do the surgery the way you would like it to be done means going right into your rabbit, it is riskier and takes longer to heal also after, more painful. If it was thought that it was a better way of neuteuring, then that's the way vets would do it.;) Also, he won't become fat and lazy, he'll become more relaxed because he won't be totally driven by hormones and will still be the same.

Advertisement