Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which would be the best CMS

Options
  • 19-08-2009 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

Could do with some advice here.
    I have just been asked to put together some ecommerce site's for some client's in Dublin and I'm not sure as to which would be the best CMS to use (needs to be a CMS as the clients want to update their site's themselves on a regular basis).
    For the last while I have been knocking out decent enough site's with Wordpress. However, as most developers know, it has it's limitations and I am sick or having to come back and rewrite bad code in third-party templates and plugins.
    Anyhows, I have been looking at Expression Engine and CodeIgniter as options (and before anyone starts, I know CodeIgniter isn't really a CMS, more a MVC).
    Also, I'm in the process of setting up a web development company but don't have the funds to buy the full package Expression Engine yet so I would be looking at the Core version.

Anyone have any thoughts on which would be best to use?
    I have heard that CodeIgniter is more for developing Web Applications which I like because once you have written it yourself you know what you have but then again, I don't want to reinvent the wheel just trying to make a few bob.

In the past I have used Drupal and found it too big for this kind of work and Joomla is a bit flaky imo (tho I prefer it to Drupal).

I'm open to suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

If you flick a couple of pages back in this section, you'll find a few very similar threads.

For eCommerce solutions: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055641543
    Magento has a CMS feature built-in, although it's fairly limited. But if you just need a store set up, I'd highly recommend this.

Concrete5 is a very easy-to-use CMS, but it lacks support and many additional features cost...

I personally prefer Joomla for powering sites. Sure it takes a bit of time to the back-end, but it's quite functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

Hi Roche,

I'm mainly using ExpressionEngine or MODx (http://www.modxcms.com) these days.

MODx is a free, open source solution and has a lot of functionality and a great community.

ExpressionEngine is good for more complex sites with lots of structured content items and sites with a lot of member based functionality as you can have a members area and forum etc all integrated. However, it has a steep learning curve and a few "quirks" here and there.

If you're going to look at CodeIgniter, ExpressionEngine 2.0 (a long time in the works) is using a completely different codebase based on this, so it may make more sense for you to investigate it then.

Advertisement