Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

website designer from hell

Options
  • 18-08-2009 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

:confused: Hi everyone,please help me.I got someone to design and setup my website.Rome was made faster and what i want on the site and what i am getting is 2&2=27. And now they f off for 3 weeks,the site is ecommerce with paypal but they have not linked paypal to the site,i have my end done.CAN I DUMP THEM.if so what is the story with can they pull down the site.please please help yours wkid:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

What have they said when you've contacted them in relation to progress so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 wkid

they keep saying,i will fix that,i will look into that and now 4 things on the site will not work and they are not repleying to my emails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Have you paid them yet?

Are they a "proper company" or a one-man band? Or a mate? A recommendation? Have they got other sites in their portfolio?

i paided them half at the start, i have the money ready for them and we have the deal,when the site is ready i will give the balance.all i want is the site finish and the ecommerce side working.

yes they are a company,small company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

was there a contract with agreed deliverables by certain dates? if they've broken this then ask for a refund. Of course you can dump them, but who controls the domain? new hosting can be arranged, but if they technically own the domain name there's not much you can do about that (presuming it's not a .ie)

It's .com and no contract just have it ready in 5 to 6 weeks.IT'S now 10 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rochemedia

Was the hosting charge paid by you or through them?
    One thing you can do is go to www.whois.net and type in your website address. Check to see who is down as the admin contact. If you dump them and they refuse to hand over control of the domain, you can contact the hosting company and have the login details changed to your liking provided you are down as the domain admin.
    IF you have paid them some money already but dont wish to continue with them, them may be happy enough if you want to move to another designer.
    Ask them for all the login details for the Hosting Server & Domain and contract another designer/developer. 10 weeks is a long long time to be waiting on a site (unless we are talking about a very large site)!
    It may be, as they are a small company, that they have taken on more than they can chew and are trying to learn the technologies as the go along. Maybe they are just slow. Either way you are the client and the paymaster and therfore it's your right to move to another designer if your not happy with their results.
    I am a designer myself and would be more than happy to help out if you like.
    PM me if you want.

Will

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

wkid wrote: »
    It's .com and no contract just have it ready in 5 to 6 weeks.IT'S now 10 weeks

Most likely you're kind of stuck then. You either need to finish it through with them, then ask them if they'll sign the domain over to you, or else make a clean break and pick another domain & company

i got legal advise today and it's a clear case of loss of money.can not say more.thank you all for your help.i dont want to go down the legal way but it's looking that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

if time is of the essence, legal route certainly will not bring about any immediate solution and will only serve to destroy any relations you have with them (though the threat from a solicitors letter might give them impetus to finish the site)

maybe you will just have to sit tight and wait until they actually finish and just remember for next time to avoid said designers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'd just push them some more. Sounds like they're not very professional in their time keep and maybe mis-calculated timing. Best thing is to see if you can negotiate a time-frame from now on that's realistic. It seems a shame to throw everything away and attempt legal action when the person will do it. 5-6 weeks is a pretty tight turnaround for something like this and unless you have an event or launch then perhaps you can negotiate a small discount or extra features in return for their lax scheulde.

p it's not 5 or 6 weeks it's now 10 going on 11 weeks.this man will not reply to my e-mails or calls.the site is up but he will not open the shopping part.the last e-mail i got he said he will have no time this week and look up the net and see if i can do it.if i was able to do it y was i hiring him in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Any chance we could see the site? I'd be interested to see the standard of work they produce. Must be amazing if it takes them that long!

peejay.
    NO for legal reason.
    There may be other factors outside his control.
    I have to exhaust all reasonable time and effort.
    IE. there is a time set now,by a third party in the web design trade.
    When this is all finished i may.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Funny, iv always found in my experience its clients are generally slower giving content. Including setting up PayPal accounts for eCommerce projects. :)

Its bad practise if you have an agreement with a company and they dont have time to finish your website. I wonder do they even know how to do it, maybe they just know the basics. I personally would set a deadline and inform them if its not done by then, you will initate legal action. Call their bluff if you must - most businesses wont continue in a relaxed manor with the threat of legal action. Even a letter from your solicitor is bound to get things moving.

If its a .com - you can probably fire away a few emails and get it moved over to you. Same with hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

5-6 weeks seems like a short development time for an ecommerce website. 10 to 11 weeks is not unreasonable. august is also holiday time and people take holidays and work can build up. What seems missing here is good project management and client communication. If you have access to the site and it sounds like you do setting up paypal integration with something like zencart or oscommerce is straightforward, no programming skills are needed. You should also be able to get another to complete it without moving it to another server. This is your fastest route to completion. You have no contract stating delivery times or penalties for delays so I can't see what you're legal route is. Ask him to give you a revised timeframe to which he is willing to commit

Advertisement