Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a year Out?

Options
  • 18-08-2009 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Mods- please feel free to move this thread elsewhere if it should be in another forum!

So anyway, just wanted to know if anybody is thinking of taking a year out before college? I was thinking of taking a gap year, but the thought of it is depressing me as everyone is soo excited about university:( The reason Im doing this is because I really do not have a clue what to do in after college. I did quite well in my leaving this year and was offered my first choice which i dont want to it up...so now I think a gap year is best for me to make up my mind as to what to do with my life!

So if anybody here is taking a year out then how are you going to spend the year? Travelling/working?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Would ya not be better off taking a gap year when your finished college?

But if you are going to take a year out, make sure and go travelling...staying at home and working in some ****ty job will be a real waste of a year...just my 2 cents:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Reillyman wrote: »
    Would ya not be better off taking a gap year when your finished college?

But if you are going to take a year out, make sure and go travelling...staying at home and working in some ****ty job will be a real waste of a year...just my 2 cents:D

I never knew travel was free,And as for college,That's free too?:pac:

I don't know how finances are for you going into College OP but I'd recommend working somewhere,Maybe going living with relatives elsewhere and working there for a year..

Therefore you've travelled and come out the other side with a bonus bit of cash for college life :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I never knew travel was free,And as for college,That's free too?:pac:

Aw ya man, Ryanair are offering unlimited flights for €2, didn't ya hear?

But no seriously, what I meant was like what ya said, go somewhere where you have relatives or something like that. My main point was that I wouldn't like to be hanging around your own town for a year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Reillyman wrote: »
    Aw ya man, Ryanair are offering unlimited flights for €2, didn't ya hear?

But no seriously, what I meant was like what ya said, go somewhere where you have relatives or something like that. My main point was that I wouldn't like to be hanging around your own town for a year..

Yeah hanging round town would drive you mad,I know it sounds bad,But also living at home with your parents for a year,While all your mates are renting places or in digs will also drive you off your head..

Best to get out of the place,Make a bit of money and have fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

One of my mates is takin a year out too. Just make sure you know about the fees coming in next year. You could save a few grand by going college this year. Something to think about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Tbh, there doesn't seem to be any right answer to this question, only a right answer for each individual.

Some people find taking a gap year before college and travelling / working abroad is a wonderful experience, and they find that they have matured greatly heading into college and are far better able for it, and get more out of it ...

... others find it impossible to settle back into the routine of timetables and lectures and study.

Advertisement