Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Repairs - Recommendations???

Options
  • 18-08-2009 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi guys,

My computer (a Dell desktop) has recently crashed and I was looking at places to bring it to get it repaired. I saw this place:

http://www.pcrepairdublin.ie/

and as they work on a no fix no fee basis thought they might be worth a shot. Just wonderirng has anyone any experience (good or bad) with them? Or does anyone have anywhere they'd recommend in Dublin?

Cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

we can tell you how to fix it for free here if you tell us whats wrong with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

we can tell you how to fix it for free here if you tell us whats wrong with it
    lol ye:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭click4444

Try e-mail this guy, he picked up my laptop fixed it and returned it on the price we set. they also repaire pc's.
    A really nice person called to my home I would call him back if I needed my laptop/pc repaired.
    http://www.customit.ie/

hope this helps :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mrsladybug

Thanks click4444! Might check him out :)

X in the city - I'm not too technically minded so not sure how much I can do myself, basically when you turn it on the initial Dell startup screen appears then just a black screen with a white dash ( _ ) cursor at the top left corner. I tried pressing the F2 or F12 buttons as they were listed at the top of the Dell screen but it makes no difference. I've removed all CDs from the drives also.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

:D
    mrsladybug wrote: »
    Hi guys,

My computer (a Dell desktop) has recently crashed and I was looking at places to bring it to get it repaired. I saw this place:

and as they work on a no fix no fee basis thought they might be worth a shot. Just wonderirng has anyone any experience (good or bad) with them? Or does anyone have anywhere they'd recommend in Dublin?

Cheers :D
    Just got laptop back the other day from this place,would definitely use again!!! A technician called martin(very nice bloke!!!) called to my house same day i rang and dropped it back to me next day.Would have fixed it on the spot but there were several problems with it.Still cost less than some places charge just to take a look.Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

OP have you tried putting the operating disc that would have come with the pc and that should boot up and it is pretty easy to do a repair following the on screen instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Does this not sound like the ram might have come loose?

Really we will save you upwards of 50 euro if you do what we say...

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

Don't entrust your computer to the thickos of Dell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mrsladybug

OP have you tried putting the operating disc that would have come with the pc and that should boot up and it is pretty easy to do a repair following the on screen instructions.

No haven't tried this, would it get rid of all the files stored on the computer and would i have to reinstall all the programs etc? Sorry if this is a totally stupid question!
    Does this not sound like the ram might have come loose?

I opened it up and couldn't see that anything was loose - what I think is the RAM (!) seemed to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,249 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

by all means go have someone look at it. learn from the experience though. ask them what was wrong, what you can do next time, etc.

We'll forgive you. I own a car and I barely understand how it works. But in an ironic twist, I was having a Transmission problem with it last week and the guy at the shop told me what was wrong - the Transmission Computer Module needed a software patch :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

Sounds like you could have a hard drive failure - run the DST, if you get an error code the drive will need to be replaced and you will have lost your data

# At the Dell BIOS splash screen, press the <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <D> keys at the same time.
    The computer beeps once to acknowledge that the hard drive diagnostics have been initiated, and then the following message appears:

IDE Diagnostics running, please wait

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pctech

stesh wrote: »
    Don't entrust your computer to the thickos of Dell.
    i agree with you they treat you like dumb and if u are technically minded they change completely and i ended up knowin more than the tech himself lol

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pctech wrote: »
    i agree with you they treat you like dumb and if u are technically minded they change completely and i ended up knowin more than the tech himself lol

Not hard, they just follow steps on a screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/tips/2009/01/how-do-you-access-dells-recovery-partition
    as above,turn on pc,hold cnrtl ,f11 til menu appears,it restores windows,os from a hidden partition on the drive.THIS will delete,any personal,data,mp3s ,photos
    you have on drive c:\ ,so its a last resort.
    OR you could try boot from cd, using a linux livecd,eg mint unix, and back up ,data, pics, to a usb drive,or pen drive.
    Google make linux livecd linux iso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Given the age of this thread I don't think we need to drag this out any more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement