Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to do Medicine: Chemistry and Physics

Options
  • 18-08-2009 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey everyone! I was hoping to get into medicine but unfortunately didnt get in. Im now thinking of taking the year out, study chemistry in the one year, sit the hpat again, aim to get medicine again, and if I dont get it aim for vet medicine.
    As I didnt do chemistry I am only eligible for the six year course, and im not too keen on doing the entire leaving cert again. I got 570, and not too mention rechecks.

Anyway would the 6 year course be a lot less stressful than the 5 year course do ye think?

Going off topic here! I would go back to my old school and attend the 5th
    and 6th year classes in chemistry ( this is for vet med), but say if I didnt repeat the entire leaving, do you think I might aswell take on physics aswell? Would it be an advantage having a bit of knowledge of physics in medicine and vet med? I loved maths and applied maths and I always regretted not taking on physics. I know its not a requirement, but do you think it would come in handy? Please some advice!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

The only difference between the 5 and 6 year courses is that the 6 year ones include a year of Pre Med.
    The 5 years thereafter are the same as the 5 year straight courses.
    Just to clarify.

Also, repeating chemistry would make sense just in case you have to fall back on Vet. Med, but why not do a PLC or get a job or something as well?
    Keep yourself occupied.

Advertisement