Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's all ahead of me...

Options
  • 18-08-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Congrats to all of you who're on ye're way to college!:D

I'm going into 5th year in 2 weeks time and I'm still trying to decide what subjects to go with. We had to officially choose them last year, but I could probably change..alot of people changed for the JC.

Anyway, I've chosen French, Bio, Chem and Business as my options. Basically what I'm trying to decide is whether or not to do an eighth subject outside of school. I got 10 As and 1 B in the JC so I'm a hard enough worker.

I'm interested in Law, Law and Irish, maybe Medicine or something Sciencey. Along with that I wouldn't mind Journalism or some sort of Media course. Very random collection there I know:rolleyes:

I was thinking of maybe taking History as an eighth. That be too much work? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No need. You'll have enough to be going on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

History is alot of work, alot. But if your interested in it you can get a great grade. I got an A2 but it was not easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I don't think there's any need for you to do another subject (7 is plenty) but if you were to choose another, I wouldn't go with History. Didn't do it myself but from what I've heard it's quite a difficult subject at Leaving Cert level. The course is fairly long and the exam itself is quite challenging time wise.

If you're interested in Science, perhaps Physics or Applied Maths would be a better option? If you have a flair for Maths and Science anyway, you should find them fairly straightforward. Geography would also be fairly doable as long as you get the field work done and submitted.

All in all though, 7 subjects is enough, especially if you're doing them all at Higher Level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sam1990

i would suggest classical studies if you do decide to do an extra subject. it's very like the history course except it's a hell of a lot more interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

I don't think there's any need for you to do another subject (7 is plenty) but if you were to choose another, I wouldn't go with History. Didn't do it myself but from what I've heard it's quite a difficult subject at Leaving Cert level. The course is fairly long and the exam itself is quite challenging time wise.

If you're interested in Science, perhaps Physics or Applied Maths would be a better option? If you have a flair for Maths and Science anyway, you should find them fairly straightforward. Geography would also be fairly doable as long as you get the field work done and submitted.

All in all though, 7 subjects is enough, especially if you're doing them all at Higher Level.

The only reason I'm thinking about history is because Law is probably my number one choice at the moment and I've been told that it's good to do history as a LC subject if you're doing Law. Also the special topic for our year is Northern Ireland, which is my favourite part of the history course.

Tried Applied Maths last year, and didn't really like it. Admittedly, I didn't work at it at all seeing as it was TY but don't think I could go back there. Perhaps Physics..

Or I could take history in school and Business outside? Sorry to be going on about it, but I just don't know what to take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

do history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd say Business would be easier for you to do outside school than History, but I didn't do either of those subjects so I'm just going by what others have told me about them.
    History might come in handy at times for Law but it wouldn't be anyway essential. Latin is another subject that may be handy for Law but I don't know what that's like at Leaving Cert level.

sam1990 mentioned Classical Studies: I know nothing about that subject but perhaps it's an option.

Still, I'd maintain that you have enough in 7 subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Avoid doing History outside of school. I did in (in school, mind) and got an A1 in it. It's rather tough. The course is MASSIVE. I was studying it for the entire year and still had to cram a little at the end. The paper itself is very demanding physically; you have to do three long essays, one mini-essay and a document-based comprehension in under three hours. And you'll have to do a project on your own, which will be quite difficult. Plus, History is only a plus for Law in a very vague sense. Very little of what you learn for the course is actually relevant at all. It may help for essay writing, but... Meh. When you're in college, I don't think anyone's going to care whether you've done LC History or not.

If you've got an aptitude for music, try LC Music. Half your grade is going for the Practical exam (which you'll be practising outside school anyways). I did it outside school, and got an A1 in it with only a grind every weekend for the two years.

Good luck anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

If you're interested in different religions etc. do the religion LC outside school. I was kicking myself last year for not considering it: I'm fascinated by religion and when I looked at the exam papers I found I could answer a lot of the questions! So there I missed out on an easy good few points.

Course that's my 2c. Do subjects you think you'll get high points in.

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Avoid doing History outside of school. I did in (in school, mind) and got an A1 in it. It's rather tough. The course is MASSIVE. I was studying it for the entire year and still had to cram a little at the end. The paper itself is very demanding physically; you have to do three long essays, one mini-essay and a document-based comprehension in under three hours. And you'll have to do a project on your own, which will be quite difficult. Plus, History is only a plus for Law in a very vague sense. Very little of what you learn for the course is actually relevant at all. It may help for essay writing, but... Meh. When you're in college, I don't think anyone's going to care whether you've done LC History or not.

If you've got an aptitude for music, try LC Music. Half your grade is going for the Practical exam (which you'll be practising outside school anyways). I did it outside school, and got an A1 in it with only a grind every weekend for the two years.

Good luck anyways!

Yeah I guess I'll get enough practice essay-writing in English! Unfortunately, as much as I love listening to music, putting on gigs, and having an ol' strum of the guitar I wouldn't be able to do Music at all.

Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Business is very doable outside of school. It is a long enough course but it is very easy to understand. After that it's all about exam technique, timing answers and giving appropriate points and business examples to your answers. e.g. Privatisation- Aer Lingus, Eircom, etc. A grind a week in a grind school would give you the essential notes to learn and the rest would be exam technique. Also the fact you are doing it from 5th year and not 6th year helps you in terms of retaining the information and it really gives you an advantage in 6th year.

From what I've heard History is a subject that needs more than a weekly grind in order to get a high grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Mallox

ECONOMICS

do economics seriously its an easy B and if you work at it enough you can get an A fairly handy too :D

Mallox wrote: »
    ECONOMICS

do economics seriously its an easy B and if you work at it enough you can get an A fairly handy too :D

Had a quick glance of the exam paper there online and it looks ok. Will have a look into that..thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

I'm going into 5th year in 2 weeks time and I'm still trying to decide what subjects to go with...

Anyway, I've chosen French, Bio, Chem and Business as my options. Basically what I'm trying to decide is whether or not to do an eighth subject outside of school. I got 10 As and 1 B in the JC so I'm a hard enough worker.

I'm interested in Law, Law and Irish, maybe Medicine or something Sciencey. Along with that I wouldn't mind Journalism or some sort of Media course. Very random collection there I know:rolleyes:

I was thinking of maybe taking History as an eighth. That be too much work? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Okay. First thing to do is to decide...Law/journalism or Medicine/science.

If you pick Law/journalism, I'd drop either Chem or Bio and do Economics.

If you pick Medicine/Science, drop maybe business and take up applied maths/physics.

8th subject? What's the point?

Hope that helps:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Don't do history unless you're prepared to really work at it. The exam really is a glorified writing contest. For regular hand writing trying for full marks, the 3 essays have to be 12 paragraphs which would need to be around 4 pages long. On top of that massive amount of writing you only have 40 minutes to devote to each one!

They screwed us over this year with the paper and they could do it again too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

I am starting 5th year in two weeks to and we had pick our subjects in ty i picked biology,geography,home economics and french but i really want to change some of them

I hate how they make you pick subjects when you don't know what to pick

we will have great fun in the next to years won't we?

well done in your JC you so brainy i didnt even get 1A in my Jc so you so lucky :mad::eek::confused:

answer me wrote: »
    I am starting 5th year in two weeks to and we had pick our subjects in ty i picked biology,geography,home economics and french but i really want to change some of them

I hate how they make you pick subjects when you don't know what to pick

we will have great fun in the next to years won't we?

well done in your JC you so brainy i didnt even get 1A in my Jc so you so lucky :mad::eek::confused:

Haha! Thanks!

I know I haven't a clue anymore really..I'm trying to decide now what to do and it's such a mess. I'm thinking of changing from Biology to Physics and then doing something outside of school. God knows what though. Ugghhh I hate having to think again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

Haha! Thanks!

I know I haven't a clue anymore really..I'm trying to decide now what to do and it's such a mess. I'm thinking of changing from Biology to Physics and then doing something outside of school. God knows what though. Ugghhh I hate having to think again!!

ya i know how u feel
    Good on ya if you can understand physics cause i sure can't
    What other subjects you doing and what levels do you think you will be doing them at?

answer me wrote: »
    ya i know how u feel
    Good on ya if you can understand physics cause i sure can't
    What other subjects you doing and what levels do you think you will be doing them at?

I remember I hated Physics in first year, but by the time the JC rolled around I was getting slightly higher marks in Physics than in the other sections of Science. I'd like a good mix of practical and theory subjects so I think Physics might be good.

Well Maths, Irish, English, French, Chemistry, Biology and Business is what I've officially chosen. And I'm just trying to decide between Biology and Physics. All higher level. Hopefully anyway!

Boys and Girls...your all forgetting about Economics!

It's a really easy subject to get a B in, and there is alot of overlap with Business, contrary to popular belief.

Also helps that our teacher is a complete Legend!:D

• Advertisement

Reillyman wrote: »
    Boys and Girls...your all forgetting about Economics!

It's a really easy subject to get a B in, and there is alot of overlap with Business, contrary to popular belief.

Also helps that our teacher is a complete Legend!:D

Can't do it in our school, but I'm thinking about it for my eighth subject.

And what about getting an A? Coz that's really what I want...:cool:

Can't do it in our school, but I'm thinking about it for my eighth subject.

And what about getting an A? Coz that's really what I want...:cool:

Dude, wtf is with this 8th subject crap? Is 7 not enough to be getting on with?

Reillyman wrote: »
    Dude, wtf is with this 8th subject crap? Is 7 not enough to be getting on with?

Oh I dunno...I guess so. It's just I'd be scared that I'd **** up in an exam or two, or if I really struggled with a subject or something. A safety net for me:(

Oh I dunno...I guess so. It's just I'd be scared that I'd **** up in an exam or two, or if I really struggled with a subject or something. A safety net for me:(

Quite honestly, I'd think it'd have the opposite effect. Taking on another subject would give you less time to study for the others, thus increasing your chances in "fcuking up" in the exam.

Advertisement