Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommending your favourite puppy toys

Options
  • 18-08-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread off seeing as so many people are getting new pups atm and the one thing I've learned is that puppies do need lots of toys no matter how busy they are they always need time to just sit and chew.

So here's some that I found work great, if you can think of any more add them on. Mine are aimed at smaller toy breeds but there are usually large versions available.

Orkabone by pet stages (although I remove the canvas bits).
    Our puppy finds this great to chew on, it's put up with his little sharp teeth and gives him relief during teething. Great for toy and small breed sizes.

Puppy Kong, standard puppy kong, make sure you get one to suit the size and age of your dog though. Great for teething and fillin with a teensy bit of peanut butter or whatever so keep them busy.

Teddy, regular teddy nothing fancy but ensure you remove any eyes etc. before hand to prevent swallowing and check it for damage. My lad loves his teddy and snuggles up with it but also likes to 'kill' it as well, he grabs the teddy and twirls around for ages until he's dizzy lol.

Smaller soft teddy type toys and laytex type toys, have their place but they do tend to get worn quickly and you need to throw out any rubbery laytex type ones if they put a hole in it otherwise they swallow the stuff.

Mini balls, again check for damage regularly. My lad loves to watch them roll and then chase after them.

Free ideas.

Other dogs and puppies, or get a kid to entertain the pup, they'll all be worn out within half and hour of crazy running about.

Ice cubes for teething, or fill you excisting kongs and freeze.

Sort of free if you have it in your cupboard, freeze frozen pineapple and give a tiny bit now and then for teething and will also prevent pooh eating if you don't fancy poopy breath.

Anyone any more suggestions for safe, durable puppys toys. I've only the regular kong atm has anyone tried out the other puppy kongs available and how did they find them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Garden glove for westies. As a ratter, Holly takes pleasure in shaking it to it's death. Cue lots of whining when she throws it on top of a high table :(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

Puppy kong binkie - my 15 week old maltese loves to chew the handle but didn't like it at first. (as well as the actually puppy kong mentioned in the OP)

Petstages toys - I have a load of them for my dogs and there are special ones available for teething puppies! They are all very colourful. I get them in petmania. There's so much to choose from!

Teddy bears - my maltese loves 'em - my other dogs would tear them after 1 minute though!

the cardbord toilet roll thingy - hours of fun and when they're flattened theres always more! and you can roll them along the floor for puppy to run after!

plastic flower pots - my older dogs and my puppy love these!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Gunnars (samoyed puppy) favourite toys are a squeaky chew with handles at either end and his teddy bear. The chew was about 3euro and the teddy I won at funderland :D

He almost turns his nose up at his kongs :rolleyes: I have the one you fill with peanut butter he kind of likes that one the best. I have the puppy kong you fill with the bisuits but he doesn't really like it as he can only eat the bit if the biscuit sticking out he can never get the rest :D
    He does not like his binki Kong for some unknown reason??

His favourite Kong is the Wubba. That is a brilliant durable toy. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Mine love all sorts,
    Lily loves anything plastic! the sod..
    They love teddies, ropeballs, rope string with knots, socks,
    daisy will eat skirting board, any wood she can find, apples from the tree, anything she can find she'll play with/eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

Mine loves teddies but can rip them apart easily, loves rope and anything she can chew!

Got her a bag on tennis balls once but she can make holes within minutes.

Thanks for the toilet roll idea!

Does anyone know where i can get kong toys in Cork? ive checked a few pet shops and havent found any. Need a good chew toy that can last!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Elevelyn wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i can get kong toys in Cork? ive checked a few pet shops and havent found any. Need a good chew toy that can last!

Try your vet's office. I'm not in Cork but our vet in Dublin and the vet my mother goes to in Kerry both have items for sale, including Kongs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

jen_23 wrote: »
    Gunnars (samoyed puppy) favourite toys are a squeaky chew with handles at either end and his teddy bear. The chew was about 3euro and the teddy I won at funderland :D

He almost turns his nose up at his kongs :rolleyes: I have the one you fill with peanut butter he kind of likes that one the best. I have the puppy kong you fill with the bisuits but he doesn't really like it as he can only eat the bit if the biscuit sticking out he can never get the rest :D
    He does not like his binki Kong for some unknown reason??

His favourite Kong is the Wubba. That is a brilliant durable toy. .

Milo doesn't like the actual kong aswell:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sabbyp

You know those hollow bones stuffed with marrow? They're a couple of quid in the pet shop, well they can be reused, just mix up a tin or sardines with a little kibble, and stuff into the bone, you can freeze if you like to make it last longer (just remember to pop it in a sandwich bag first or you'll have a well stinky freezer!)

Even just filling a lunch box with a portion of kibble soaked in stock and freezing makes a nice tasty doggy pop for hot days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Thanks for starting this guineapigrescue!
    I have been doing research and one of the toys that came up for puppies most was the puppy kong, so I think I will get myself one of those for the new puppy! If you are still wondering where to get them, you can order them on zooplus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Elevelyn wrote: »
    Mine loves teddies but can rip them apart easily, loves rope and anything she can chew!

Got her a bag on tennis balls once but she can make holes within minutes.

Thanks for the toilet roll idea!

You can get them in petstop by the kinsale roundabout or maxi zoo in ballincollig.
    ambyangel wrote: »
    Milo doesn't like the actual kong aswell:p

Ah another thing the birthday twins have in common :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

sabbyp wrote: »
    You know those hollow bones stuffed with marrow? They're a couple of quid in the pet shop, well they can be reused, just mix up a tin or sardines with a little kibble, and stuff into the bone, you can freeze if you like to make it last longer (just remember to pop it in a sandwich bag first or you'll have a well stinky freezer!)

Even just filling a lunch box with a portion of kibble soaked in stock and freezing makes a nice tasty doggy pop for hot days!

They are great as well, at first I thought they would be too tough for the pup but he started nibbling on the ones in the garden for the other dogs and he's grand with them. Only problem is the flippin crows come along and eat the middle out of them lol. So need to get him some for indoors only. I found the Aldi ones chip and splinter too easily the Tesco ones are a bit tougher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

i reccomend kongs kongs kongs

there are a few different types the standard is good and the jumpin jack keeps em going as well also ice cubes drive them mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sabbyp

They are great as well, at first I thought they would be too tough for the pup but he started nibbling on the ones in the garden for the other dogs and he's grand with them. Only problem is the flippin crows come along and eat the middle out of them lol. So need to get him some for indoors only. I found the Aldi ones chip and splinter too easily the Tesco ones are a bit tougher.

I got some in the Johnstown Garden centre, not sure what brand they are, but they're super tough, my two doggies are fairly big and strong chewers and there's not a dent in these bones! These may be a bit hard for little puppy teeth though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

My dog loves everything which is not supposed to be a doggie toy.
    Right now she hijacked a fluffy and squeaky thing called Haggis, something a friend from Scotland meant to be a gift for me. :rolleyes:

Otherwise she likes socks and my paper basket.

I gave up buying anything for her. She chooses her toys. The more natural, whatever that means in doggie world (usually forbidden stuff), the better.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Our two (big dogs) love their nylon bones. We got two chicken flavoured ones out of Tesco's about two months ago - the best £8 we ever spent!
    We will get them the gigantic Nylabones for christmas!

Also, as mentioned above, the natural bones filled with various fillings.

An empty plastic bottle will also provide amusement for a few hours.

Kongs, filled, are also a winner.

Advertisement