Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undenominated science subject groupings

Options
  • 18-08-2009 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Having just been accepted into this course I am now torn between two groups of subjects to do in first year.

Group C: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths or introduction to mathematical physics

or

Group D: Biodogy, Chemistry, Introduction to Earth & Ocean Sciences and Maths or mathematical physics

I did both Biology and Chemistry for my Leaving cert and am worried about falling behind in physics if I choose group C and am considering avoiding it. Would it narrow my options for second year if I didn't do it?

I would like to end up doing some of the biomedical sciences in fourth year.

Any guidance or advice would be appreciated
    Thanks,
    _leona_
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Not doing physics narrows down your options a lot. I would recommend doing it. You'll be fine as long as you do three things:

1. Go to your tutorials

2. Do the homeworks

3. Most importantly: Do the exam papers for the last 5/6 years. Print them out EARLY. Spend half an hour/45 mins going through all of them. This way you'll become familiar with what tends to come up, and what to perk up and listen for in lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

I didn have a clue about physics when I went into uni, and passed the first year no problem...the key is attending lectures, tutorials, labs and actually doing the work.
    Physics dept run 5 days of tutorials and you can go to as many as you like they are there to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

dapto1 wrote: »
    Not doing physics narrows down your options a lot. I would recommend doing it.
    Dose it really? Of the top of my head physics is the only 2nd year subject that requires physics in 1st year.

If you havn't done LC physics then you'll have to work hard at it in 1st year. Most 1st year course are similar enough in content to leaving cert courses and all assume no prior knowledge of the subject. I would recommend doing earth and ocean science. It a broad subject and 1st year exams arn't too difficult. There are several different modules in EOS that you can then pick in 2nd year.
    Bottom line is if you want to do physics in 1st year and you could see your self doing it 2nd/3rd/4th year go for it! If not, don't bother, you'll be putting yourself under a lot of unnecessary stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

Im pretty sure you need physics in first year for quite a few subject choices in 2nd year. you need it for anatomy anyway for some strange reason! most people do pick group C as it has the most options at the end of 1st year. Also they divide the physics lectures into 2 groups those who have done physics and those who havent so you certainly wont be alone

• Registered Users Posts: 15 _leona_

Thanks for all your suggestions and help. Judging from what the majority have said it seems to be in my best interest to choose group C as I don't want to limit my options for second year too much. Again, thanks.

_leona_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

you need it for anatomy anyway for some strange reason!

Mainly because of the microscopy stuff in 3rd and 4th year, as well as basic concepts of torque etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Im pretty sure you need physics in first year for quite a few subject choices in 2nd year. you need it for anatomy anyway for some strange reason! most people do pick group C as it has the most options at the end of 1st year. Also they divide the physics lectures into 2 groups those who have done physics and those who havent so you certainly wont be alone

If I remember correctly, it was roughly a 50/50 split.

Advertisement