Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog when you have a Cat

Options
  • 18-08-2009 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a cat that I rescued about two years ago she is lovely but I have always wanted a dog. I have been putting it of because I am not sure it is okay to get one. I work five days a week nine to five, I have no children and I live alone but I love animals and would be able to spend lots of time with the dog when I am there. I guess my questions are -
    Do you think it is fair to get a dog when it will be alone for eight hours monday to friday?
    Is it fair on my cat to introduce a dog to my house, she can be a bit timid?
    What are peoples opinion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I would suggest maybe an older, more settled dog, most rescues will cat test their dogs for you. That way the dog wouldn't be too full on for the cat and wouldn't be as high energy, so could be left alone with fewer problems. As long as you give the dog lots of attention and exercise while you're home, it should be OK being left. The real joy of a rescue is that even if you're not the perfect owner, you always know that the dog is better off than it was before!

I always wanted a dog too and after finally buying my own house I did hesitate about getting a dog for the same reasons as you, my cat was 10 years old and set in her ways. Sadly she died aged 12 and I got my dog a few months later and two weeks later ended up with a stray cat and 4 kittens as well, they all got on just fine. With one thing and another I never had to leave the dog alone for very long at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Maybe get a pup? At a young age. When pups are exposed to cats as pups, they should get along well and maybe even be a little fearful of the cat. It's funny sometimes to see how they are still wary of the cat as they get older. Having said that all cases are individual so think carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I have a 5-year-old cat and recently got a pup, a Springer cross.

The cat, who is no shrinking violet, ignores the pup until she gets too close, then a paw slap is given. Its as quick as lightening and I doubt it hurts, but it serves as a warning.

The pup however feels it necessary to bark at the cat at every opportunity. It can be funny to watch the pup dance around the cat barking her head off, but I think they both know who’d come off the better if it went any further.

So I leave them to sort it out among themselves.

The thing is whether you have the space for the two? Dogs need far more room than cats. Some out door yard or garden is a must if they are to be left alone, plus somewhere for the dog to shelter.

As for them being left alone. The dog will be fine, once it settles in. Even when you are around you’ll find that the dog will be happy enough doing its own thing. As long as you spend some time playing with them and bring him/her for daily walks you should be fine.

Just to prove the point I’m at home right now. Both animals are outside. The cat is sitting on the bonnet of the car, the dog is stretched on the door mat. I’ll let them in shortly and I know exactly what will happen. The cat would wander in and look for somewhere warm to sleep. The dog will go mental running around for a while, then she’ll find something to chew on, finally she’ll leap onto her bed and I’ll find her upside down, legs in the air, head in the corner, snoring her head off…good times! :D

Advertisement