Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student - Medical Insurance

Options
  • 18-08-2009 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As I said in another thread, my girlfriend is going back as a mature student this year. She is currently working up until the end of August and is paying VHI.

My question is - as a student, does she receive free healthcare or does she have to continue paying VHI? She is anxious about this as she want to be covered in some way while she is a student.

Any advice would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

She can apply for a medical card and will be means-tested for this on her own income or with a partner if she lives with you. Students are not treated as a special case under this scheme however.This will cover her for free GP visits & prescriptions, free hospital treatment and certain dentistry treatment. Waiting lists can be long though for public patients and some people keep up VHI for private healthcare benefits even with a medical card for this reason.

Advertisement