Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Veriton N260G, Atom N280 1.66GHz XP Home, €254.99 delivered

Options
  • 18-08-2009 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Just got this in a promotional email from Saverstore:

Veriton N260G, Atom N280 1.66GHz XP Home, 1GB RAM 160GB HDD no Optical Driive CD Card Keyboard & Mouse, 1 Yr RTB Warranty, Office Ready

Acer Veriton N260G Small Form Factor PC Atom (N280) 1.66GHz 1024MB 160GB XP Home Edition Office Ready + Keyboard and Mouse.
    Fuelled by today’s latest Atom® processor with 1GB DDR2 memory, 160GB Hard Disk Drive it's the ideal workhorse PC for use where space is at a premium..
    This tiny Nettop packs all this performance in a 1 litre form factor that can be placed by a screen or neatly mounted (via the VESA mounting) to the back of a screen streamlining working space making it perfect for environments where space is an issue and performance is a must.

Please Note: Monitor NOT Included Features

Acer Veriton N260G Small Form Factor PC

Intel Atom (N280) 1.66GHz Processor with 512KB L2 Cache 667MHz Front Side Bus

1024MB DDR2 667MHz RAM

160GB Hard Drive

Intel GN40+ICH9M-E

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN

Office Ready

Keyboard and Mouse

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

1 Year Carry-In Warranty

Full specs and details here:
    https://www.saverstore.com/productinfo/Product.aspx?product_id=20030239

Total cost inc shipping to Ireland: £218.37 ~ €254.99.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kingcrowley

My worry with that is the fact that it has a HDMI connection but has no chance of playing HD material with the Intel "graphics" card. But as a basic PC/Media thingamebob would do the job

https://www.saverstore.com/product/20031030/Acer-Aspire-Revo-R3600-Nettop-PC

i fancy me one of these, but have to wait till price drops, also Gateway (owned by Acer i think) have a dual core Atom version of this in Asia, which make it's way to our shores eventually

Edit: Link is to the Acer with Vista...there is a Linux version available but doesn't seem to be on saverstore's site (can't find it on play.com either and it was listed there)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

This would make a good computer for Internet browsing, email, Microsoft Office work etc.

Regarding hardware acceleration for HD content, the Intel Atom N280 and GN40 chipset, found in this computer, offer about the same level of performance as the Intel N270 and 945 chipset, found in a lot of current netbooks such as the Samsung NC10, i.e. full 720p and low bitrate 1080p support. In saying that, you can buy two WD TV HD media players and still have change left over for the same money as this, and it supports more HD content, but it's what you're looking for in a computer/media player that matters the most.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Rsaeire wrote: »
    This would make a good computer for Internet browsing, email, Microsoft Office work etc.

Regarding hardware acceleration for HD content, the Intel Atom N280 and GN40 chipset, found in this computer, offer about the same level of performance as the Intel N270 and 945 chipset, found in a lot of current netbooks such as the Samsung NC10, i.e. full 720p and low bitrate 1080p support. In saying that, you can buy two WD TV HD media players and still have change left over for the same money as this, and it supports more HD content, but it's what you're looking for in a computer/media player that matters the most.

My 4211 with n270 and 945 chipset is crap at playing 720p files in vlc player. Completely unwatchable. Apparently using core avc player is much better at hd content on netbooks but I've never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

My 4211 with n270 and 945 chipset is crap at playing 720p files in vlc player. Completely unwatchable. Apparently using core avc player is much better at hd content on netbooks but I've never tried it.

I have, so I'll comment a little. Using CoreAVC Pro on my Samsung NC10, which uses the same CPU and chipset as your 4211, ensures you can watch high-bitrate 720p H.264 mkv and low-bitrate 1080p H.264 mkv files with between 65 - 85% CPU usage with no dropped frames.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I have, so I'll comment a little. Using CoreAVC Pro on my Samsung NC10, which uses the same CPU and chipset as your 4211, ensures you can watch high-bitrate 720p H.264 mkv and low-bitrate 1080p H.264 mkv files with between 65 - 85% CPU usage with no dropped frames.
    Sweet! I heard it was just the codecs that vlc was using that was the biggest problem. Glad to see 720p will work on a netbook.

• Advertisement
Advertisement