Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dwarf rabbit nails

Options
  • 18-08-2009 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Apologies if this has been asked here previously. I did a search but couldn't find anything specific.
    Question is in regards to nails care for a dwarf rabbit. Is it recommended to clip it? If so how often and how (vet)? Rabbit is only a few months old or so, and does get a lot of free roaming around outside in the open, however nails seem to be getting quite long and sharp. Naturally they grow, of course but I am concerned they need specific care.
    Any help is welcome.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

offical answer-get your vet to do it, especially as dwarf rabbits limbs are very delicate. I have a full sized rabbit and when he was an indoor rabbit i had to clip his nails one every 6-8 weeks using a nail clipper I bought at pet store. It was so stressfull for all involved, I only did one nail a day and so ended up clipping them, for what seemed like, every other y day.

unofficial ans- put yer bunny on cement for an hour a day and this should sufficienctly wear down their nails. Their nails are naturally quite long. Clipping is stressful, wether done by you or a vet. if you do it yourself, you run the risk of hitting the Quik of the nail which bleeds and can harbout infections

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Unless rabbits dig and dig like crazy like in the wild their nails can become long so as said best way to prevent them growing too far is concrete or patio slabs.

As said, get the vet to trim them or the nurse might be able to show you and then once they are trimmed have a section of the rabbits house, wether indoors or outdoors with a patio slab or piece of concrete on it so the rabbit has no choice to walk over it regularly.
    Rabbits like different textures in their housing so as long as he has has plenty of soft bedding etc. as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Sandeman

Thank you very much both of you. Much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I clip mine myself, I wrap them in a towel and put them on their back with my arm around them and then clip away, it works with all four of my rabbits.

Advertisement