Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Roller Stay for Sharp Microwave

Options
  • 18-08-2009 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Need to get a 'Roller Stay' (the piece of plastic that holds the glass plate on the turntable) for a sharp microwave (R-249). Through a couple of distributors, they are £15+p&p. Ridiculous for a piece of cheap mass produced plastic.

Does anyone know where to source??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

€30 for a piece of plastic that was made for less than a cent. And the microwave cost something like €70. Anyone like to guess how many appliances/white goods make it into landfill each year because of this crap....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What does this thing actually look like? Couldn't you fashion something yourself to replace it, or even repair the old one somehow?

Yeah - I have to superglue it every couple of months ...unless I come up with a better solution. I won't buy the freaking thing off them anyways on principal regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Hi OP - you hit on the solution yourself in post #2

go to your local recycling centre,bring the roller thingy with you. Ask the lads working there if you can have a look around to see if you can find "one of these".

REDUCE - REUSE - RECYCLE

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Yeah - I have to superglue it every couple of months ...unless I come up with a better solution. I won't buy the freaking thing off them anyways on principal regardless!
    Depending on the type of plastic it's made from, a specific glue designed for hard plastic might be a better option. Superglue doesn't always work that well in those circumstances. A hard plastic glue will contain solvents that soften and partially dissolve the plastic, effectively more like welding the parts together than gluing them, if you see what I mean. Either that or a two part epoxy resin.

• Advertisement

Thanks Alun. Will look it up and see if I can find something like you describe.

Thanks Alun. Will look it up and see if I can find something like you describe.

And whats wrong with going to recycling centre ?

dh0661 wrote: »
    And whats wrong with going to recycling centre ?
    Apologies dh0661. I was short on time and scanning through boards. I didn't notice your post!
    Yes, its a good idea. Use the recycling centre regularly - so will take a look.

Alun wrote: »
    Depending on the type of plastic it's made from, a specific glue designed for hard plastic might be a better option. Superglue doesn't always work that well in those circumstances. A hard plastic glue will contain solvents that soften and partially dissolve the plastic, effectively more like welding the parts together than gluing them, if you see what I mean. Either that or a two part epoxy resin.
    Alun,

Would you happen to have a link to the type of glue your talking about? Damn thing broke again so I want to try this instead.

Alun,

Would you happen to have a link to the type of glue your talking about? Damn thing broke again so I want to try this instead.
    Try this ...

http://www.bison.net/US/en/view.do?UID=af993e0fc2c7dd2dc07bdc

I think you can get Bison glues here, I have an old tube I bought in Holland, otherwise there may be other similar products around. It does depend a lot on the type of plastic being glued though .. some types just won't work (see http://www.bison.net/US/en/view.do?UID=3e0ebb0fc6f4d5fe2012963), but it's worth a try. Otherwise just try any good two-part epoxy resin.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Alun. Will try that test in your second link to see if its the right kind of plastic for these glues. Then will try and source if its possible to use.

FFS - PM me your adress - I'll go to recycling centre and pick one up for you and post it to you FOC :mad:

Advertisement