Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We're getting engaged. Now for the ring..?

• 18-08-2009 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

We are getting engaged and we are planning on going to shop for the ring on Thursday. I was thinking of going to Dundrum to look in the Jewellers there, as I was there recently and had a look in the windows and saw a couple of things I like. Do you think it is unrealistic of me to think we could choose in one day within one place and find a good ring, or should I plan on shopping around a lot more than that? I was picturing going in to one or two shops in the Dundrum shopping centre, having a look, a hum and haw, and choosing and leaving! I know my boyfriend does not like shopping and neither of us are that patient but is it unrealistic to just shop in the one place? Should we look in the city too? What do you think? Any advice? We have a budget of 3grand, and I know I want something simple, not too fussy -- round diamond, white gold/platinum ring, that's it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Sure look round the high street jewellers for ideas, get all all of the advise about the 5 c's etc.

Platinum looks great and is harder wearing but keep in mind you have to have a platinum wedding band too and both will cost above their gold (or white gold) equivalents.

Then take your favourite Diamond cut and ring style and head for a 'manufacturing' jeweller and have a bespoke ring produced - better quality and value for money - and they do accomodate all budgets.

Main thing you will get is more ring for your money (and bigger diamond!) - or of course the same thing for a better price!

If you really want the 'experience' head to Applebys near Powerscourt (but leave your wallet at home!).

For our rings we used Glyns on Abbey Street - doesn't look much from the street but excellent quality and service, not to mention a ring which we have valued (independently) at 40% less than high street price for equivalent diamond and precious metal.

Don't be rushed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭McCABE1

We looked one Thursday late opening all around Grafton Street and found the ring I love. Next day we went in to buy it so no its not unrealistic. I found it in the space of two hours. You'll know the ring when you see it, unfortunately there's always a chance you might not find "the one" and you'll need to push further afield but just to let you know, its not impossible. From looking around recently and with your budget and what you want I wouldnt expect it to be too difficult for you. Best of luck !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

NiamhEile wrote: »
    We are getting engaged and we are planning on going to shop for the ring on Thursday. I was thinking of going to Dundrum to look in the Jewellers there, as I was there recently and had a look in the windows and saw a couple of things I like. Do you think it is unrealistic of me to think we could choose in one day within one place and find a good ring, or should I plan on shopping around a lot more than that? I was picturing going in to one or two shops in the Dundrum shopping centre, having a look, a hum and haw, and choosing and leaving! I know my boyfriend does not like shopping and neither of us are that patient but is it unrealistic to just shop in the one place? Should we look in the city too? What do you think? Any advice? We have a budget of 3grand, and I know I want something simple, not too fussy -- round diamond, white gold/platinum ring, that's it.
    if you have a limited budget,i would advise going north of the border young lady,there is a far larger selection in the stores and very much cheeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Flump

would you consider looking in the states? adds a bit to the cost having to get and stay there, but excellent savings to be made. we recently got engaged there, got the ring valued and is worth two and a half times more that what was paid. take a look at Uniondiamond.com you build the ring you want.

Best of luck and congratulations!! it's a very exciting time!!!!;)

Advertisement