Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Points Decreases Thread

Options
  • 18-08-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Following on from the thread about courses with big points rises, thought i'd start a thread for those who've chosen a course with a decrease in points and why you've chosen it

I'll get the ball rolling. Doing Energy Engineering in UCC, which has fallen 15 pts to 520. Chose it because i see pretty good job opportunities in this area in the future, even in this country!:eek:

No obvious reason that it has fallen because generally energy related courses have risen around the country. Maybe it was because at 535 in 2008, it was far too inflated a tally for an engineering course

Anyone else chosen a course that is considered unfavorable and has taken a nosedive in points?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Really?I was told by the man from UCC who came to our school that it will be rising,As ESB are inverting in that area etc,Very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Really?I was told by the man from UCC who came to our school that it will be rising,As ESB are inverting in that area etc,Very strange!

I aint gonna complain to be brutally honest. :)

Only got 520 so was expecting to get civil and environmental in UCC(485* this year), Couldn't believe it when i saw it on that uploaded pic(At 3am i might add:)). Had to see the offer(Now accepted:D) before i could really believe it!

I like to think it was destiny!:D:rolleyes:

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I aint gonna complain to be brutally honest. :)

Only got 520 so was expecting to get civil and environmental in UCC(485* this year), Couldn't believe it when i saw it on that uploaded pic(At 3am i might add:)). Had to see the offer(Now accepted:D) before i could really believe it!

I like to think it was destiny!:D:rolleyes:

Ah excellent,That's great news for you then!My course comp science in UCC has been 300 points for the last 3 years,Maybe I should start a thread on that to?So i can stop spamming yours :pac:

Ah excellent,That's great news for you then!My course comp science in UCC has been 300 points for the last 3 years,Maybe I should start a thread on that to?So i can stop spamming yours :pac:

You already did looking back through a few pages on the forum, IIRC.:D

Here's a question though. How come a UCC course NEVER drops below 300pts? Is that only an artificial number generated, basically sayin that the course is very under subscribed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Luckily for me History in Trinity dropped to 445 from 450. Amazingly, I had exactly 445 points and it was my first choice :pac:

• Advertisement

You already did looking back through a few pages on the forum, IIRC.:D

Here's a question though. How come a UCC course NEVER drops below 300pts? Is that only an artificial number generated, basically sayin that the course is very under subscribed?

Hmmm,I don't remember that,

Re your question,You could be right,I do know they've just built a whole new building,That caters for comp science,and is bigger than the old building,Which would mean they're wanting to cater for more?

I'll wait and see if there's Comp Science in the round 2 offers

Hmmm,I don't remember that,

Re your question,You could be right,I do know they've just built a whole new building,That caters for comp science,and is bigger than the old building,Which would mean they're wanting to cater for more?

I'll wait and see if there's Comp Science in the round 2 offers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055654016

Jog your memory?:D

Fair auld building alright, its enormous. You'll have nice facilities to study anyway:)

There was a second round last year in CS,.......................300 points:rolleyes:

Hold on, thats in the UCC forum, looked there earlier too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

If you don't get energy engineering you could still work in that field if you studied Mechanical Engineering. Most of the engineering disciplines are spin-offs of mechanical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Stephen Esquire

Yeah UCC again!Chemical Engineering went down 10 to 475 when everybody would be saying it'd go up :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

civil engineering went down from 490 to 460 in ul. i had way over 500 points so i knew i was goin to get in anyway but was surprised to see it drop so much. 30 points is alot like

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

My course stayed the same at 415. :P
    But my EPL course dropped from 440(I think) to 415! And my 2 UCD courses dropped a good bit too (Not bothered to look up how much atm..)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Law dropped by 30 points in UCD and 15 in TCD! Kiiinda wish it had been the opposite way, but sure, ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

Auctioneering went from 280 last year to 240 this year.
    Property Economics went from 410 (08) to 360 (09)
    That is some serious drop in points!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Mathematical Science in UCD went down to 425 from 465.

The course seems to have retarded jumps each year. I get the feeling that not many bother with it. (Maybe the HB1 Maths requirement might influence it a bit :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

DCU Languages dropped 350 to 330 couldn't fricken believe it. Got a text first thing in the morning from a friend, thought he was taking the piss. I only got 385 in the LC so I was having nightmare visions of my course going over 400 (since they said arts-type courses were rising).

Points drop really made my year :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Davidius wrote: »

The course seems to have retarded jumps each year. I get the feeling that not many bother with it. (Maybe the HB1 Maths requirement might influence it a bit :pac: )

That course was 550 the year I started in it - there's only 16 places though.

Davidius wrote: »

Odd, mathematical science in UCC went UP from 490 in '08 to 515 in '09! Only a HC3 in maths need though, afaik!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Corporate law in galway dropped 35 points!!:rolleyes:

Law nearly everywhere has dropped though, nothing going in terms of job opportunities at the moment apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

DN046-Animal Science in UCD
    Fell by ten points 360->350
    I was hoping it'd go up as promised,I got way too many points for it and I think it looks terrible :o

Advertisement