Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the LC while still in college

Options
  • 17-08-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

Going into 2nd year in NUIM, want to sit the leaving Cert again next year, just want to check that there's no rule against this, anyone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

If I could do the leaving and study at home I defo do it!!... Don't know if you can thou!! Let me know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

You can.

I know someone that did it.

He repeated for medicine. The strain was too much for him though and his second leaving cert was worse than the first.

So, while you can do it (the dates even work out for you), it could be an awful lot of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Thanks Carsinian, that's exactly what i'm doing, repeating for medicine while continuing with 2nd year of a biomedical science degree.

I know i'm in for a pretty hellish year, but I think it's do-able, just wanted to make sure there were no rules to say it couldn't be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnmayo

BarnhallBull Do you realise that you are taking a risk of failing second year if you try and do the Leaving Cert as well.

What about getting a first in your degree and apply to medicine as a graduate student

Thanks for the concern JohnMayo, but rest assured this isn't a snap decision or one i've taken lightly, I've thought long and hard about it, weighed up all my alternatives and for me, this is the best option.

I'm fully aware of the risks involved, and of how difficult the year will be, but like I said I think it's do-able. I'm not under any illusions that it'll be easy, but I do think I can do it

• Advertisement

Thanks for the concern JohnMayo, but rest assured this isn't a snap decision or one i've taken lightly, I've thought long and hard about it, weighed up all my alternatives and for me, this is the best option.

I'm fully aware of the risks involved, and of how difficult the year will be, but like I said I think it's do-able. I'm not under any illusions that it'll be easy, but I do think I can do it

Well, it's your decision.

Please choose your LC subjects very carefully though. I'd go for OL English and Irish and probably Maths too, unless you can guarantee an A in it.

Then choose the stereotypical points subjects.

Thankfully, you're coming at it with a good background for the sciences so you could probably get A1s in all three of them without any hassle.

Weigh up Ag Sci carefully though, it doesn't suit some people and isn't as points easy as some would like to think.

Definitely look into Home economics. I know someone that took it up in a year and said that there was a lot of nutrition science in it, which your biomed background could help with.

Economics is supposed to be good to do in one year as well and accounting can work out very well in your favour if it suits you.

Have you already done the HPAT or would you have to do that too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Crystler

Just scanning through, as in I haven't reread any posts, so facts may be a little muzzy, but is it also allowed to repeat on your first year?

I'm doing Science (well accepted) in UCD, and weighing out my options as I didn't get into medicine by about 40-50points, after a v.v.v.long discussion with my family I have decided to repeat, but at the same time continue doing science in college. I mean I could go for the graduate entry, but then the 4 years is kinda just a filler rather than enjoyable. Whereas there is a chance (not a giant colossal chance) but still a chance I need to explore.

Which brings me to my question, do i need to be a registered pupil in a school to get in -and sit the leaving? Or can i just self study?

Although this post could just be discarded and i stick with science only and see it through and do the graduate entry, I'd just like to know how to set it and what rules I have to follow. At the moment checked out the Repeating LC schools but most are full time student stuff.... I think

Crystler wrote: »
    Just scanning through, as in I haven't reread any posts, so facts may be a little muzzy, but is it also allowed to repeat on your first year?

I'm doing Science (well accepted) in UCD, and weighing out my options as I didn't get into medicine by about 40-50points, after a v.v.v.long discussion with my family I have decided to repeat, but at the same time continue doing science in college. I mean I could go for the graduate entry, but then the 4 years is kinda just a filler rather than enjoyable. Whereas there is a chance (not a giant colossal chance) but still a chance I need to explore.

Which brings me to my question, do i need to be a registered pupil in a school to get in -and sit the leaving? Or can i just self study?

Although this post could just be discarded and i stick with science only and see it through and do the graduate entry, I'd just like to know how to set it and what rules I have to follow. At the moment checked out the Repeating LC schools but most are full time student stuff.... I think

You can repeat without being attached to a school.

Just make sure you register with the State Examinations Commission and find yourself an exam centre.

Then study your ass off. (Not literally, that would be extraordinairily unpleasant).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you intend to sit Home Economics or any subject with a practical element (History/Geography/Art etc.), you will need a teacher to supervise and sign off on your work.

spurious wrote: »
    If you intend to sit Home Economics or any subject with a practical element (History/Geography/Art etc.), you will need a teacher to supervise and sign off on your work.

+1. Totally forgot about that. :o

Would you be able to use a teacher from your old school for the project work and complete the other aspects on your own?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would imagine so - you'd just have to run it past your old teacher first.
    It's a fairly serious legal declaration, so they would have to have regular contact with you to be able to sign off.

Thanks for the replies guys...

I'm doing Honours English and Irish, got A1 in both first time round, I know English will be tough to cover in one year but my Aunt is an English teacher and will help me out with course work. As for Irish, I spent 14 years in a Gaelscoil so I should be ok:p

I'm doing Biology and Chemistry in college so they should be manageable, i'm going to go to the Institute on saturdays for Chemistry though because i've never actually done the LC course (another reason i'm keen to repeat, med options are seriously limited without chemistry at Leaving Cert)

I always liked Geography and got an A2 first time having made a balls of an important part of the paper so as long as I do the study it should be fine.

That just leaves German as my third language which I will have to improve on, probably saturday morning institute for that too... And pass maths

I did actually consider taking Home Ec. as i've heard it's quite handy if you've a scientific background, only problem as you say would be the practical element, so I might steer clear

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭xXx-Ginny-xXx

home ec practical 4 lc is just filling out a journal based on practical stuff your meant to do..(most dont)..i didnt do much just made it up got an A1..all ya need is a good home ec teacher to give ya tips:p...theory is grand an easy an the exam is fairly predictable :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

You could try th GAMSAT route after finishing your degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

That's like trying to ride 2 girls at the one time, its possible but not impossible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

lol - with a grasp of language like that, im sure you'll have to worry about that situation a lot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Grasp of what man?

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    That's like trying to ride 2 girls at the one time, its possible but not impossible
    slemons wrote: »
    lol - with a grasp of language like that, im sure you'll have to worry about that situation a lot :)
    D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Grasp of what man?

The bit in bold is what he was joking about.

Anyway, as for the OP. They already know it will be difficult. But they're still willing to go down that road and it doesn't sound as if they've underestimated the challenge so I say go for it.

As regards the practical elements to subjects, they sound like a necessary evil but not too much of a hassle so you could still use them. Just make sure everything gets sorted out early.

If you need any help with anything, drop us a PM. I'll be happy to help.

Advertisement