Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody doing a PLC? Where?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

The title says it all.Post here if you're doing a PLC and where you're doing it. I'm doing either Journalism or Pre Arts in Dunboyne CFE!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

I applied for Applied science animal care in Croom.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Sounds cool.Wheres Croom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

Limerick:)

Ah sounds cool ^.^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭fig mclough

cavan i think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

Doing A PLC in the Liberties College, doing Applied Social Studies, Cant Wait :D

Don't post here if you're going to be offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Journalism in gti in Galway!! Interview next week so...hopefully!!!:D

Good luck Soph!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Ailteoir

Computer portfolio, Bray :P

• Advertisement

I wonder how much people are doing PLCs. They said nearly half of all applicants this year didnt get a single third level offer so I'd say PLC applications has shot up...and then theres the people who applied for them as opposed to entering the CAO race.
    Starting to get nervous about my interview haha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Yeah Im thinking of doing a PLC in Waterford. Hopefully, and then repeating my maths leaving cert exam next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭discostick12

I knew I was doing a PLC course since the start of 6th so I never filled out my CAO had my place in the college since April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

I just want to ask a few questions about doing a PLC course here, rather than starting a new thread.

How do they work? I mean, if you do well in the exams, do your points increase? I got 390 this year but I want to do new media and journalism in UL. I have all the requirements but not enough points (short by 20). So if I were to do a PLC course (eg Media Production and Journalism) and did well in my exams, would I get points added on and thus be eligible for my course in UL next year?

I hope someone can help me as I'm not familiar at all with the PLC thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

moneyman wrote: »
    I just want to ask a few questions about doing a PLC course here, rather than starting a new thread.

How do they work? I mean, if you do well in the exams, do your points increase? I got 390 this year but I want to do new media and journalism in UL. I have all the requirements but not enough points (short by 20). So if I were to do a PLC course (eg Media Production and Journalism) and did well in my exams, would I get points added on and thus be eligible for my course in UL next year?

I hope someone can help me as I'm not familiar at all with the PLC thing.

I wanted to do that too but I was told that the only higher access link scheme into a journalism course is to DCU. I think it's only if the points go down again you can get into UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

You cant combine the FETAC results (PLC awards are accredited by the Further Education and Training Awards Council - FETAC) with your Leaving Cert results. You can only use either the LC or the FETAC results.

There are two ways that you can use the FETAC results and it depends on what course at University or an Institute of Technology you want to do. The best thing to do is to start at the level 7 or 8 degree and work backwards identifying what you have to do at FE to get to the Level 7 or 8 course. This information is available from the relevant University or IoT and also via the CAO link for FETAC. At the moment the only UL courses that have FETAC links are the Nursing degrees. However DCU has FETAC links into its Journalism degree - you would need to complete any of the following FETAC awards
    EPJXX
    ERPXX
    ETFPX
    (names to go with the codes are available from www.fetac) and then you also need some specific modules as well.

But there are some excellent media and journalism courses in the FE sector - see Ballyfermot College - just be careful in selecting where to do a FE course in this topic as facilities are everything and Ballyfermot have good facilities and no I dont work there !

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

to answer the OP, i'll be doing a secretarial & computer skills course in colaiste ide - finglas. pretty nervous about it tho, i attempted art last year in ballyfermot but i dropped out :(

Advertisement