Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some general info

Options
  • 17-08-2009 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

well i got 200 points so i was hoping i was going to get my lvl 7 computing course in IT Tallaght which was 155 points last year. today it rose to 215! so i thought yea cool i'll at least get the level 6 computing which was 110 last year but that even rose to 215.. (the same as the level 7)

can anyone explain why both the level 6 and 7 have the same point requirements? and if the points for either course are likly to fall under 200 in the 2nd round? if not then what other options would i have to get into computing in itt? i don't want to repeat!! maybe some plc course would get me into it?

thanks in advance :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Sam1990 wrote: »
    well i got 200 points so i was hoping i was going to get my lvl 7 computing course in IT Tallaght which was 155 points last year. today it rose to 215! so i thought yea cool i'll at least get the level 6 computing which was 110 last year but that even rose to 215.. (the same as the level 7)

can anyone explain why both the level 6 and 7 have the same point requirements? and if the points for either course are likly to fall under 200 in the 2nd round? if not then what other options would i have to get into computing in itt? i don't want to repeat!!

If I remember rightly, the points for a course is based on the average of the point of the people who applies to it. So say that everyone who applied to your first course also applied for you second course = same point. I am open to correction on it tho

What area of computing are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If I remember rightly, the points for a course is based on the average of the point of the people who applies to it. So say that everyone who applied to your first course also applied for you second course = same point. I am open to correction on it tho

What area of computing are you looking for?

Nah, the points are decided by the points the last person who got in had.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sam1990

Fad wrote: »
    Nah, the points are decided by the points the last person who got in had.

what do you think the chances are for the points falling under 200? very low i assume if they are 105 points higher than last year for the level 6 :(

could a plc course get me in?

@ IrishKnight: i'm not too pushed to be honest. anything got to do with it or business computing even

thanks for both replies

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

could a plc course get me in?

@ IrishKnight: i'm not too pushed to be honest. anything got to do with it or business computing even

Perhaps, or may be a FETAC course. I don't know much about the ol PLC or FETAC so you should phone your school and get some one who knows what they are talking about.

Failing that, there is a course at www.ecollege.ie, a FÁS website. It is called CompTia A+ that you can study over the interlink and become an IT technition in time. Might want to give them a shout too, just to keep your options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

can anyone explain why both the level 6 and 7 have the same point requirements? and if the points for either course are likly to fall under 200 in the 2nd round? if not then what other options would i have to get into computing in itt? i don't want to repeat!! maybe some plc course would get me into it?

Those that apply to a Level 6 course are applying to do a Certificate and if their grades are good enough after the 2 year Certificate they can apply internally within the college to go onto third year and do the Ordinary Degree (Level 7). Those who get into Level 7 would be put into the three year Ordinary Degree course automatically. You will find if you get offered a place in the second round and start this course that all those Level 6 and 7 people will be in the same class for lectures etc.

Also lots of people put down Level 6 and 7 courses as back up, just as you did, so anyone getting an offer of Level 7 for this course on the CAO will not be taking a place on the Level 6 course. Similarly lots of people put down Level 6 and 7 courses on the CAO put them down as back up for their Level 8 courses and when they accept their Level 8 place their Level 6/7 place becomes available in Round Two. There are a large number of offers of L6/7 places in Round Two so you might get in yet. I see there is a L8 Computing course in Tallaght, so it's quite possible a lot of people would have had two offers from Tallaght this morning, one for the L8 and one for the L6/7. Anyone that has two of these offers is more than likely going to take the L8 offer, freeing up the place on the other course.

But until Round Two comes through keep your options open and start looking into PLC courses as has been suggested already.

If you go the PLC route IT Tallaght accepts any full FETAC Level 5 or 6 Certificate once it contains one of the following modules

Links Scheme:
    Any full FETAC (NCVA) Level 5/6 Award provided it contains one of the following in the award: C20174 Maths for Engineering, C20175 Maths for Computing, C20139 Maths or B20029 Statistics.

• Advertisement

Those that apply to a Level 6 course are applying to do a Certificate and if their grades are good enough after the 2 year Certificate they can apply internally within the college to go onto third year and do the Ordinary Degree (Level 7). Those who get into Level 7 would be put into the three year Ordinary Degree course automatically. You will find if you get offered a place in the second round and start this course that all those Level 6 and 7 people will be in the same class for lectures etc.

Also lots of people put down Level 6 and 7 courses as back up, just as you did, so anyone getting an offer of Level 7 for this course on the CAO will not be taking a place on the Level 6 course. Similarly lots of people put down Level 6 and 7 courses on the CAO put them down as back up for their Level 8 courses and when they accept their Level 8 place their Level 6/7 place becomes available in Round Two. There are a large number of offers of L6/7 places in Round Two so you might get in yet.

But until Round Two comes through keep your options open and start looking into PLC courses as has been suggested already.

thanks a lot, your help is greatly appriciated
    the same to irishknight and fad :pac:

thanks a lot, your help is greatly appriciated
    the same to irishknight and fad :pac:

Best of luck, I don't want to get your hopes up, but you do have a good chance for Round Two.

If you go the PLC route IT Tallaght accepts any full FETAC Level 5 or 6 Certificate once it contains one of the following modules

Links Scheme:
    Any full FETAC (NCVA) Level 5/6 Award provided it contains one of the following in the award: C20174 Maths for Engineering, C20175 Maths for Computing, C20139 Maths or B20029 Statistics.

i was just wondering if you could tell me where i can find information on fetac courses and how i would know if the course contains "C20175 Maths" for computing :D

thanks again in advance

i was just wondering if you could tell me where i can find information on fetac courses and how i would know if the course contains "C20175 Maths" for computing :D

thanks again in advance

www.cdvec.ie City of Dublin VEC website would be a good place to start if you're from Dublin, they will have a list of courses.

other than that you can use www.qualifax.ie

go into the link for Students> Course Search> All Courses and look for FETAC Level 5 Certificates under the Qualification Type. Narrow it down yourself withe keywords such as computing, information technology or whatever part of the country you want to do the course in.

Some courses listed will give a list of modules, others will not, however if you find courses you may be interested in, contact some of the colleges listed and they will be able to tell you if they offer the module. Some of the bigger Further Education colleges in Dublin should almost certainly offer it.

This link shows the list of Colleges of Further Education affiliated with City of Dublin VEC. Have a look at the courses they provide and you should find what you are looking for.

http://www.cdvec.ie/en/index.cfm/do/ListofFEColleges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Tbh i think the points will go down. I know i just put down my level 6/7 courses for the craic. I never even considered accepting my 6/7 courses anyway and i presume alot are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Would youn consider applying to a different college for a similar course? Try the vacant places link:

http://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses_popup.htm

Look under the Level 7/6 section of that link and you'll see there's a computing course in IT Blanchardstown. Worth a look anyway. :)

Hope that's been some help!

thanks for all the replies, they've all been extremely helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 englmon

Is it possible to get an exemption from doing level 5 statisics ?

englmon wrote: »
    Is it possible to get an exemption from doing level 5 statisics ?

in what course and under what circumstances? your query is a little vague

Advertisement