Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attention INCOMING FIRST YEARS

Options
  • 17-08-2009 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi folks,

I'm looking for an incoming first year student to write a column for one of the student magazines - a sort of "Diary of a Fresher" piece. The first issue is going to be out during Freshers' Week, so if you're into writing this would be a great opportunity for you to be published before you even sit down in your first lecture!

That means writing the first one pretty soon, though, so if you're interested send us a PM or email tcdmiscellany@gmail.com by Sept 1st. Any general queries, post 'em here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I can pretend to be a first year?

Dear diary,

Like, OMG wowzer woopiee yeha

bostie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Boston wrote: »
    I can pretend to be a first year?

Dear diary,

Like, OMG wowzer woopiee yeha

bostie.

That was pretty good spelling for an engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I thought this was going to say "SHUT UP, YOU'RE ANNOYING".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

You guys should try as hard as possible to get one of the ****heads who did the Leaving Cert columns in this year's newspapers.

God, why are those people inevitably insufferable, smug arseholes? Is it a law or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Pet wrote: »
    You guys should try as hard as possible to get one of the ****heads who did the Leaving Cert columns in this year's newspapers.

God, why are those people inevitably insufferable, smug arseholes? Is it a law or something?

Children mistake smugness for maturity. "Oh yes, we're very sophisticated don't you know".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Baza210 wrote: »
    I thought this was going to say "SHUT UP, YOU'RE ANNOYING".

Baza, may I remind you that you're not a second year yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Diary of a first year during freshers week? Weird, I nearly wrote something on this exact subject for Goldfish last year

Toulousain wrote: »
    Baza, may I remind you that you're not a second year yet.

>INCOMING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gamma23

Sorry for the hijack but it needs to be done.

If your intrested in doing a bit of journalism like mentioned above PM me.
    Regardless of what year your in (UG or PG) as long as you are an International Student/from Overseas. There is an oppotunity to be published in an US based international magazine.

end of hijack

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Pet wrote: »

Ah no, the one with the girl who repeated a billion times last year was the best... clearly shoes and the like are SO much more important than the exams you say you've aced but somehow didn't quite manage to do the last hundred times you sat the leaving.. :pac:

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Ah no, the one with the girl who repeated a billion times last year was the best... clearly shoes and the like are SO much more important than the exams you say you've aced but somehow didn't quite manage to do the last hundred times you sat the leaving.. :pac:

This reminds me of the 'OMG shoes' video Pet used to have in his signature for some reason.

...I probably should feel bad on taking this thread even more off topic but it's such an obvious pimpage thread so... meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Did our benevolent moderator Hitlers not make a rule that said that all events posts had to go into the special events thread? Not that I particularly care for that rule, but I wouldn't want to see their being one rule for some, and another rule for everyone else, just because Hillary is friends with Miscellany or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

shoes.jpg

What'd you expect, condams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

gamma23 wrote: »

If your intrested in doing a bit of journalism like mentioned above PM me.
    Regardless of what year your in (UG or PG) as long as you are an International Student/from Overseas. There is an oppotunity to be published in an US based international magazine.

end of hijack
    your
    You also can't spell interested and opportunity. And you're a journalist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

karlr42 wrote: »

I think an inability to spell or use grammar correctly is a prerequisite for having articles published by Trinity Publications.

karlr42 wrote: »

Erm nope, i'm just a maths student who can't spell hence I wont be doing the job myself like.

I think an inability to spell or use grammar correctly is a prerequisite for having articles published by Trinity Publications.

I have to say a little habit of mine to work on my english skills is to ring the inaccuracies and mistakes in TN.
    (On another side anyone noticed the record being changed to university times for the new year?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭jingx3

Does it really "need" to be done?

Are there any real incoming first years in this thread? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

jingx3 wrote: »
    Are there any real incoming first years in this thread? :pac:

No, but I hope to be coming in a first year soon.

Does that count?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭username4321

I am in incoming 1st year
    I've emailed gmail address!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Does that count?

i laughed ALOT.

Does that count?
    I always thought you were a woman... :confused:

Really?
    Well my username or avatars aren't very feminine.
    Is it because I come across as a wuss?

I would say your username is the kind that a 16-year old girl would use.
    But that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Does that count?

Stalker and a stuatory rapist eh mardy? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Black kettle

I'm an incoming first year as of a half an hour ago....

I would do it but you see I'm so nervous at being new and a first year I would probably screw the whole thing up and start writing about the weather and how sore my back is from carrying that sack of a handbag and pondering as to whether anyone has swine flu if they sneeze. When i would hand that article in, you would probably start vomiting uncontrollably while jumping out the window devastated that there is a gaping hole in your newspaper where that article should have been. I would suggest to fill it with a nice big picture cos they take up LOADS of room. Then you would throw a stapler at my head (like they do in the newsapaper offices in the movies) and to be honest I get migraines, so I have enough pains in my head to deal with. ;)

Hah I'm a teensy bit of a rambler as you can see. :rolleyes:

I honestly would be far too nervous to write the article! But good luck with your search :rolleyes:

I'm an incoming first year as of a half an hour ago....

I would do it but you see I'm so nervous at being new and a first year I would probably screw the whole thing up and start writing about the weather and how sore my back is from carrying that sack of a handbag and pondering as to whether anyone has swine flu if they sneeze. When i would hand that article in, you would probably start vomiting uncontrollably while jumping out the window devastated that there is a gaping hole in your newspaper where that article should have been. I would suggest to fill it with a nice big picture cos they take up LOADS of room. Then you would throw a stapler at my head (like they do in the newsapaper offices in the movies) and to be honest I get migraines, so I have enough pains in my head to deal with. ;)

Hah I'm a teensy bit of a rambler as you can see. :rolleyes:

I honestly would be far too nervous to write the article! But good luck with your search :rolleyes:

Just on this (and for other first years reading), keep in mind that there are plenty of opportunities to write for the two college newspapers (Trinity News & University Record Times), I'm sure there'll be stalls a-plenty in Freshers' Week to sign up for either. Or both.

And besides, college is about doing things you don't normally get a chance to do. Oh, and a degree. Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Really?
    Well my username or avatars aren't very feminine.
    Is it because I come across as a wuss?

'Mardy' is a pretty, darling, feminine name. You had me fooled too. You should have kept up the ruse, made friends with some incoming female first years and organised to meet them without clarifying that you're a vaj-hungry dude rather than a kindly, encouraging older female student. BOOM you're coming in a first year.

• Advertisement

But would they have wanted to meet number 3?

Advertisement