Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine Courses in Dublin

Options
  • 17-08-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Folks,

I want to do a wine course in Dublin this autumn but now that The Wine Board is gone, I'm wondering if anyone out there has a recommendation. I saw that John Wilson reviewed some wine schools on Saturday's Irish Times. www.dublinwineschool.ie looks interesting with a pretty interesting website (compared to what the Wine Board had at any rate!). Has anyone done a course recently? Any recommendations?
    I'd like to stay away from wine shops who run courses. I attended one once and felt that I'd paid to be subjected to their 'wine promotion'.:(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spring

Hi winefan, I have also heard good things about Dublin Wine School, which comes highly recommended.

Nigel Donnan who runs the Dublin Wine School has previously lectured for twelve years at the now defunct Wine Board. I have attended his lectures in the past and they are really excellent.

Happy tippling!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 winefan

Thanks for that. Are there any more options for evening courses or is it just the Dublin Wine School?
    I see that Mitchell and son have a Wine Appreciation Course on in the IFSC as do Dublin Wine School but it looks like it costs 90 euros less with the Dublin Wine School for exactly the same length, 6 evenings. And I notice, according to the website, Dublin Wine School promise top wines, including Chateau Mouton Rothschild. (even I've heard of that one!)It doesn't mention the year but the cheapest bottle I can find of this on the 'tinternet is 194 euros. Given that it's WAY out of my league, this would be the only opportunity I'd have to taste it.
    It's good to get a recommendation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spring

The Dublin Wine School is not tied to any one supplier of wines and will have a really top quality range of wine on offer - the chance to taste Rothschild is worth the course price on its own! Also the Dublin Wine School courses are on in a number of different really central and convenient locations.

Having been to a number of Nigel Donnan's courses in the past I would really recommend that you try Dublin Wine School. Lots of new courses starting soon - time to sign up!

Thanks for that. That's some recommendation for Dublin Wine School courses.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has any other recommendations. I know that there are some real 'wine heads' that post here but I'm assuming that most of you have done courses with the now defunct Wine Board.

I'll probably do the Dublin Wine School course (the wine quality looks very good) but I wouldn't mind a little feedback from some others. Has anyone else good experiences of being taught by Nigel Donnan, when he was with the Wine Board, for instance?

If not, don't worry. I'll keep you posted~!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Krustacean

I've heard great things about Kevin Ecock's School of Wine.
    His next course starts in September .. so I hope it's not too late.

www.kevinecock.ie

Cheers,

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if there were any other options. I had a look at Kevin Eock's site and the course is been held in Kildare. Dublin Wine School (www.dublinwineschool.ie) has a choice of courses which suits me better and they are all in the city centre which is much easier to get to.
    Also, I checked on the standard of wines on the courses run by Dublin Wine School and most of them are pretty expensive. There is a four week course on Champagne which seems to have all the big brands available for tasting. Unfortunately, I can't stand champagne so it's not an option for me. Anyway, I've already signed up for the Wine Appreciation Course which has a range of what looks like some very serious wines from all over the world.
    Dublin Wine School also have a 3 week course on the Wines of Italy which I think I'm going to attend. I find Italian wines either 'great' or 'crap' and I hope that after a pure Italy course, I'd hope to navigate that country's wines a little better. Anyway, there's a wine called 'Sassicaia' which will be tasted on the course and, although I never heard of it before, I did a bit of research and it's meant to be the best wine of the whole country! Not going to pass that opportunity up!

The Dublin Wine School has the Italian wine course starting in the Mercer Hotel (near Stephen's Green) on September 22nd and the Wine Appreciation Course starts on the 14th in the same place, just in case anyone else is interested.

I'll let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ddaithi

64 Wine (http://www.64wine.com) in Glasthule run a course which is very good, I did it last February. It's 6 weeks long and the owner (Gerard) is very knowledgeable and puts a lot of work in to each night. You also get to taste some very very good wines. I would highly recommend it.

Thanks very much for that. I know that 64 Wine is a very good shop. Glastule is a convenient location for me. I'll see how I get on with the courses with Dublin Wine School and take if from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 desk1

Cooks Academy are running a wine appreciation course and will be scheduling WSET courses next year

http://www.cooksacademy.com/category.php?intCategoryID=13

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Niamh from Deveney's off licence in Rathmines is running a ten week one in Rathmines College on Monday nights, starting September 21st. Details here.

• Advertisement

I said that I'd get back to you about the Dublin Wine School wine appreciation course and now that it's finished (on Monday night) I have to say that I miss it already!

The quality of the wines tasted on the course was super and it was great to taste the Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1999 even though there's no chance I'm ever going to buy a bottle at 250 euros. Other wines tasted were Bollinger champagne, a Macon Villages from Comtes Lafon (who is considered the best maker, apparently), Tawny Port, Barolo (super too), Ribera del Duero (quite alcoholic), Grand Crew Burgundy, Barossa Valley Shiraz, Australian Riesling, Gruner Veltliner from Austria (this was soo good, I went straight out to The Corkscrew wine shop and bought 3 bottles the next day. Lovely white wine with NO oak!).

This was the first wine course I'd ever done and I think it was first rate. Also there were one or two others in the class who had been on a Wine Board course last year and they said that the Dublin Wine School one was much more informative with 'ten times better' wines and much better fun!

I went on to enroll on the Italian Wine Course but this was cancelled unfortunately. However, they have some single evening wine tastings coming up in November this year so, hopefully, I'd make it to one or two of those.

I'd definitely recommend Dublin Wine School courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 corkage

I did a wine course with Nigel Donnan a few years bavk when he was with the wine development board and it was very enjoyable experience. The wine development board have since moved out of Ireland, so it's good to see he has set the dublin wine school himself.
    The big plus about doing a wine course with somebody like Nigel, is that he is not affiliated with any wine supplier in Ireland, so you will get a good independent assessment of wines available in Ireland and abroad.
    I seem to remember he had a strong dislike to Chilian wine, I hope he is over that by now.;)

Hi

If anyone is looking to take the WSET Certificate courses in Dublin, the details for the Intermediate & Advanced are available on www.dublinwineacademy.com I was a lecturer for the Wine Board before it closed and I am also a WSET Certified Educator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

desk1 wrote: »
    Hi

If anyone is looking to take the WSET Certificate courses in Dublin, the details for the Intermediate & Advanced are available on www.dublinwineacademy.com I was a lecturer for the Wine Board before it closed and I am also a WSET Certified Educator

hi,
    i wonder could you help me
    my brother is completing his sommeliar course in Italy (Puglia Region)
    He is working in a vineyard as a sales manager,however the poor pay combined with a bit of homesickness(he's there about 2 years)is making him consider coming home
    my question is this,are there many opprtunities for sommelier's in Ireland and what route would you advise going down(restaurant,shop?etc)
    i hope you don't mind me asking,much appreciated

Hi,

That is a tough one. There may be some retail opportunites in Dublin (well known multiple off licence group). Go to Irish jobs and type wine into the keywords.

Opportunites for Sommeliers may be scarce as a number of restaurants have closed and there may be more closures in the next few months which would also increase the competition for remaining Sommelier jobs.

The fact that he has a wine qualification will help him though if he wants to get into the industry here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

desk1 wrote: »
    Hi,

That is a tough one. There may be some retail opportunites in Dublin (well known multiple off licence group). Go to Irish jobs and type wine into the keywords.

Opportunites for Sommeliers may be scarce as a number of restaurants have closed and there may be more closures in the next few months which would also increase the competition for remaining Sommelier jobs.

The fact that he has a wine qualification will help him though if he wants to get into the industry here.

thanks for your advice,much appreciated

Hi,

I know that some things have now changed in the wine selling business but WSET courses about wine are really a rip off. A member of staff from the restaurant that I'm now in has just completed the beginners WSET course and doesn't really recommend it to anyone! Most of the wines were fairly average in terms of quality and over 20% of the course/exam were dedicated to spirits & beers! From the restaurant point of view this is a total waste of time. I thought that this was supposed to be a trade wine course? I believe that the teacher was very competent. We won't be going that route again.

Future wine courses for staff will be recommended wine appreciation courses. No spirits, no beer, no exam and only half the price. I've already been in touch Nigel ( don't mention chilean wine to him) from Dublin Wine School (www.dublinwineschool.ie) and he'll give a discount for 2 or more bookings. I don't know if I'm supposed to mention that. Oh, dear!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

winefan wrote: »
    over 20% of the course/exam were dedicated to spirits & beers! From the restaurant point of view this is a total waste of time.
    From this customer's point of view I won't be eating in that restaurant.

Advertisement