Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and the Cisco EPC2425 router

Options
  • 17-08-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I see from other threads that this router seems a bit dodgy, but the signal from mine just comes and goes as it pleases - is anyone having similar trouble?

i get full signal strength when it's there, then within 2 mins it's gone completely and neither of my 2 wireless devices can see it. sometimes it comes back soon, other times not til next day.

the settings are the same as set by the technician but nothing too odd from the look of it.

have contacted upc but no reply.

anyone who has been thru this and might have found out what is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

I seem to have a similar problem (if I am understanding you correctly)

Once I've connected to the AP there's no issues. But it can often take a very long time for devices to find it.

My guess is that the beacon interval is too high. It says that it's set on 100ms but my mobile can often take several minutes to see it, even if its right beside it, even though in theory beacons are being sent 10 times a second. Something must be messed up there (like maybe although the field is marked "ms" it is actually sending beacons every 100 seconds)

My solution has been to tell my devices that the network is hidden, so they don't bother searching for a beacon before they try to connect. Might be worth trying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I've given up on the Cisco wireless component and just attached a separate wireless switch to the router itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

If the lights on the modem aren't physically goin off then just change the radio channel to 10 and you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sohan

I tried changing the channel to 10 and it seems to be working... I will keep an eye on it and report back.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Am i to understand the modem that upc hand out with their broadband deals is bad for wireless? what about dsl ethernet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Am i to understand the modem that upc hand out with their broadband deals is bad for wireless? what about dsl ethernet?

UPC are a cable company so only supply cable broadband

bealtine wrote: »
    UPC are a cable company so only supply cable broadband

Ok what i meant by my last post - have people who have used the default cisco modem/router with upc broadband found the wireless connection on that to be good for downloading?

Hi guys

thanks to Gdep my wireless is working fine now for the last few days - no more interruptions. Just changed the channel to 10 and it's sorted.

Thanks!

mehmeh12 I am very happy with the broadband by the way, gettin nearly 10mb most times, and the router is fine now too. speed is fine.

sohan wrote: »
    Hi guys

thanks to Gdep my wireless is working fine now for the last few days - no more interruptions. Just changed the channel to 10 and it's sorted.

Thanks!

mehmeh12 I am very happy with the broadband by the way, gettin nearly 10mb most times, and the router is fine now too. speed is fine.

If you dont mind me asking, where do you live? Im trying to find people in south dublin who have upc bb.

sorry am down the country - don't know anyone in south dub with upc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 fantonim

I live in Clonskeagh and am getting decent speeds, but the wireless function of the modem is a bit dodgy. I will try different settings and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭presotrader

just got one of these myself from ebay and had about the same problems.
    apparently it works better after the firmware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

sohan wrote: »
    I tried changing the channel to 10 and it seems to be working... I will keep an eye on it and report back.

Thanks!

This also seems to have worked for me. Many thanks Gdep

Advertisement