Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT appeal advice

Options
  • 17-08-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I just brought a car in from UK and of course the OMSP is way off the mark, which had led me to think I would go down the appeal route once I'd paid.

However, at the VRO inspection I was asked questions about specific features - full leather, sat nav etc. and came clean on them all. They said they were sending it off to Rosslare so I expected the final VRT bill to be more than the online quote.

In the end, they just charged me the basic online quoted amount with no extra charges.

Now, I still believe this is way more than I should have to pay based on OMSP, but if I appeal the OMSP do I invite a revised (and closer!) assessment of all my extras.. I don't want to risk having to shell out more!

Anyone been in a similar position?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

keep a copy of the online quote and the copy from rosslare
    and go ahead with the appeal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Cars&cars

appeal - I appeal every car and advise everyone to appeal and in 95+% of cases you get money back.

1. copy all documents - web online vrt quote
    2. print off similar cars on carzone at the lowest price you can find
    3. ring around garages and ask prices 'cash' for same car in Ireland
    4. try to get dealers to email you some cash deal prices
    5. send to rosslare and 'demand' a refund - be very clear and to the point, say the OMSP is false and is a disgrace, and say you want a refund within 1 month.

now - they will take at least 3 months - but after 1 month go to revenue website and start a second appeal stage by sending a copy of the same information to your local Revenue office, eg Dublin South - evoke your right to second stage appeal based on slowness of Rosslare and your loss of money paid + interest

you will get a refund within 2-3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

After over 3 months waiting I finally got my appeal result. From an original €4900 vrt, I got back €1064. I just printed out ads from carzone of the same make/model.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

moranzinho wrote: »
    Hi,

I just brought a car in from UK and of course the OMSP is way off the mark, which had led me to think I would go down the appeal route once I'd paid.

However, at the VRO inspection I was asked questions about specific features - full leather, sat nav etc. and came clean on them all. They said they were sending it off to Rosslare so I expected the final VRT bill to be more than the online quote.

In the end, they just charged me the basic online quoted amount with no extra charges.

Now, I still believe this is way more than I should have to pay based on OMSP, but if I appeal the OMSP do I invite a revised (and closer!) assessment of all my extras.. I don't want to risk having to shell out more!

Anyone been in a similar position?

Cheers

What year is the car? They don't charge for extras on cars over 4 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Cars&cars wrote: »
    appeal - I appeal every car and advise everyone to appeal and in 95+% of cases you get money back.

1. copy all documents - web online vrt quote
    2. print off similar cars on carzone at the lowest price you can find
    3. ring around garages and ask prices 'cash' for same car in Ireland
    4. try to get dealers to email you some cash deal prices
    5. send to rosslare and 'demand' a refund - be very clear and to the point, say the OMSP is false and is a disgrace, and say you want a refund within 1 month.

now - they will take at least 3 months - but after 1 month go to revenue website and start a second appeal stage by sending a copy of the same information to your local Revenue office, eg Dublin South - evoke your right to second stage appeal based on slowness of Rosslare and your loss of money paid + interest

you will get a refund within 2-3 weeks

Thanks for the info on the second stage appeal, I've been waiting for a decision since May so I've just dispatched my second stage appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 moranzinho

What year is the car? They don't charge for extras on cars over 4 years old.

It's a 2006 - which is why they said they were sending off to Rosslare to calculate the extras because it was their procedure for all cars 2006-9 so I was surprised to find they didn't charge for any in the end.

This is the bit I am woried about - if I appeal do they end up taking a second look at the extras

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bibi-phoque

I'm so glad I found this thread! Thanks to cars&cars for the step by step instructions!

I contacted the VRO (Lotus not available on the online tool) for a quote on a 2003 Lotus Elise 111S and they quoted me 28000€ for a car that is currently sold 15-17k€ in Ireland.

Once the car is bought and VRT paid, I will definitly appeal and hopefully I won't be in the 5% of people that don't get anything back...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

Recently imported Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid Vector. Here's the text of my appeal letter.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to you in order to make a formal appeal against the amount of VRT recently paid by me on a vehicle imported from the U.K. The grounds for this appeal are based on the determination of the Open Market Selling Price. I believe that the OMSP associated with the vehicle in question is too high, as the current value of this vehicle in Ireland is significantly less than what the OMSP has been set at.

On 07.04.09 I paid €4075 VRT on a 2005 Saab 93 Vector (05-C-27169). This was calculated at 24% of €16,980. I believe the current market value of this make and model of car to be somewhere between €10,000 and €13,000. I have attached several printouts of 2005 Saab 93’s that will support this claim.

This appeal is forwarded for favourable consideration, please.

2 Weeks ago I got a cheque for €1096, which means they recalculated the VRT as €2979 and the OMSP as €12,412. This is much more accurate. I still paid €9500 (after refund) making it 3k less than the OMSP.

I read some stats recently that very few people are appealing but a very high percentage of appeals are successful.

Sorry I didn't do it with my first 2 imports. Don't forget you have to lodge appeal within 2 months of registering.

Advertisement