Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Astronomy software...

Options
  • 17-08-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi
    anyone know of a good (preferably) free program, shows star maps , planet orbits etc .. just a nice package for someone with an interest
    in armchair astronomy.

Thx

Chez

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

chezzer wrote: »
    Hi
    anyone know of a good (preferably) free program, shows star maps , planet orbits etc .. just a nice package for someone with an interest
    in armchair astronomy.

Thx

Chez

Depends on your OS but I'd say Stellarium is one of the best, go to http://www.stellarium.org/

And is free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭chezzer

Bohrio wrote: »
    Depends on your OS but I'd say Stellarium is one of the best, go to http://www.stellarium.org/

And is free

Excellent thanks a lot !!

Looks good, I will download and install later in Vista ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Bohrio wrote: »

And is free

Second that re Stellarium Bohrio , a great proggy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hadouken!!

Agree, Stellarium is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Hadouken!! wrote: »
    Agree, Stellarium is great!

Howya doing Hadouken!!

Long time no see , Lovely stargazing weather :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Cartes du Ciel

is year olds!

stellarium is great but i wish it give me more info when i click on stars, like to go a webpage when i click on 'well known' stars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Hadouken!!

Stargate wrote: »
    Howya doing Hadouken!!

Long time no see , Lovely stargazing weather :D

Hey Stargate. :)

I've been up to my eyeballs with other things so scope has been hibernating for the past few months. Have had a few awesome nights recently my way so was tempted to bring her out but as soon as the thought crossed my mind, nothing but cloud cover since :D

Look on the bright side, the long cold winter nights are on their way soon :)
    Cartes du Ciel

is year olds!

stellarium is great but i wish it give me more info when i click on stars, like to go a webpage when i click on 'well known' stars

I've never used CdC myself but I know a guy who swears by it! Say's it's far better than Stellarium... so i'll +1 Cartes on his behalf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bosch

Chez, check out WorldWide Telescope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I was going to say Stellarium too - it really is the best that I've come across. You could also tae a loo at this: http://www.n2yo.com/ This is a live-and-interactive satellite/telescope tracking tool. At first, it just shows the position of the ISS with respect to EArth, but you can choose any satellite/telescope you want (and shuttles, when they're up here).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

This stellarium thing is class! I don't know much about astronomy but hope to get into this as a hobby. Are any other planets visible except for Jupiter at the moment?

Plug wrote: »
    This stellarium thing is class! I don't know much about astronomy but hope to get into this as a hobby. Are any other planets visible except for Jupiter at the moment?

Mars rises at around 00:40, so you'd begin to see that towards 1:30/2:30 ish low on the horizon.

Also, Uranus and Neptune are up from ~20:00 onwards, but you'll need binoculars to see Uranus, and you'd really need a telescope to see Neptune.

They're the only ones that aren't up at ungodly hours at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

for those on linux in addition to stellerium you have
    kstars
    celestia

some live distros have them so you can just boot off the cd and use them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this is cool plugin for stellarium
    to see the stars more directly

http://archive.eso.org/cms/tools-documentation/visual-archive-browser

Mars rises at around 00:40, so you'd begin to see that towards 1:30/2:30 ish low on the horizon.

Also, Uranus and Neptune are up from ~20:00 onwards, but you'll need binoculars to see Uranus, and you'd really need a telescope to see Neptune.

They're the only ones that aren't up at ungodly hours at the moment.
    Tell me this, in the next few months I hope to get a telescope for about €250 max or a good second hand one, would I be able to see jupiter and the planets in detail and I don't mean like a big star. Could I actually see the storm thing in jupiter and all the colours etc?

Tell me this, in the next few months I hope to get a telescope for about €250 max or a good second hand one, would I be able to see jupiter and the planets in detail and I don't mean like a big star. Could I actually see the storm thing in jupiter and all the colours etc?

Bump:o

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Bump:o

250? You might see *some* detail. But it won't be exactly A4 size if you know what I mean.

Could you recommend me a telescope?

Advertisement