Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Programme..

Options
  • 17-08-2009 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

Anybody get in with it? I did, science in Trinity with 395 points, shoulda' been 440 I believe:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

access programme is the biggest joke in the cao system! i am actually approved by the access programme but I did my damn best to work and get the points i need for my course(540). i, personally, am in the programme just to get money because i come from an economically disadvantaged family. However I think the whole idea of getting you extra points is just ridiculous. Imagine you're the guy who doesnt get in because some person from the access programme has a reserved place, even of their points are much lower than yours. I know two girls, both of which qualify for the programme. One got 495 points but needs around 540 so she decided to rather repeat sixth year. The other got 420 and needs 505, and the access programme got her those extra 80 points. I mean thats a joke to all those people that got 500 points but just because their financial circumstances arent bad, they loose out on the course.
    The access programme totally destroys the fairness of the cao system!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I got Communication Studies in DCU from it, the course was 435 and I only got 360 :D

I was shocked I got it. I looked at my "Score" on my CAO letter and I got 978 points

Super genius or wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Mario007 wrote: »
    access programme is the biggest joke in the cao system!
    However I think the whole idea of getting you extra points is just ridiculous. Imagine you're the guy who doesnt get in because some person from the access programme has a reserved place, even of their points are much lower than yours.
    The places for people on the access program are separate from the "regular" places, we're not taking anything away from anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Mario007 the racist! Don't be so jealous of us underprivileged, after all we have it easy and all that... Anyway I got my points but my mate got a massive 130 point reduction on Engineering in DIT and he's the kind that would never get to college if it wasnt for the help of the access program so do a bit of research before you speak Mario!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

access programme is the biggest joke in the cao system! i am actually approved by the access programme but I did my damn best to work and get the points i need for my course(540). i, personally, am in the programme just to get money because i come from an economically disadvantaged family. However I think the whole idea of getting you extra points is just ridiculous. Imagine you're the guy who doesnt get in because some person from the access programme has a reserved place, even of their points are much lower than yours. I know two girls, both of which qualify for the programme. One got 495 points but needs around 540 so she decided to rather repeat sixth year. The other got 420 and needs 505, and the access programme got her those extra 80 points. I mean thats a joke to all those people that got 500 points but just because their financial circumstances arent bad, they loose out on the course.

Oi, I feared this would happen. I'm not taking the course anywho, just for you of course Mario007:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Walsh wrote: »
    Mario007 the racist! Don't be so jealous of us underprivileged, after all we have it easy and all that... Anyway I got my points but my mate got a massive 130 point reduction on Engineering in DIT and he's the kind that would never get to college if it wasnt for the help of the access program so do a bit of research before you speak Mario!

dude do ya even know what a racist is?:D

all i'm saying is that college is no place for people that need 130 points reduction in their course in order to get in. it just doesnt give the incentive to people who do access programme to actually study too much. i mean i'm in access and i got 550 points so what now, does that mean i should be offered a place in medicine? just because of my background. postive discrimination is the worst thing that can be applied anywhere and sadly it pretty much undermines the cao system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Access programmes are outside the CAO system and have no effect on it whatsoever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

all i'm saying is that college is no place for people that need 130 points reduction in their course in order to get in. it just doesnt give the incentive to people who do access programme to actually study too much. i mean i'm in access and i got 550 points so what now, does that mean i should be offered a place in medicine? just because of my background. postive discrimination is the worst thing that can be applied anywhere and sadly it pretty much undermines the cao system.

It doesn't undermine the system. In fact, it keeps it fair.

It's a simple fact that those of us who come from a privelaged background, a good supportive household, and who have enough money not to be worying about it, do better on average than those less well off.
    This introduces an inherent unfairness into the system, because no child chooses their social class, yet it does affect their results. (Just like it affects their interests, likelyhood to commit crime etc.)

Thus, the richer, more well of students have an "unfair advantage" from the get go. The access programme merely assesses students and tries to offer them what they would have achieved, had they been one of the privelaged.

Who we are is essentially made up of two things; heredity, and environmet. Both of these make everyone unequal. The basic idea here is that those whose heredity allows it, should be accepted into college, and their environment should not affect our ruling of their achievement. The access programme does its best to remove the environment from the picture. [I am reading a brilliant book where much of this is explained from a criminality point of view, and I think it's important that you undertand it. Also, it's just a must read since you're doing law and it's written by the inimitable Clarence Darrow. It's yours on loan if you wish!]

Here is where I think the problem lies, Mario; you are one of the acceptions, and as such, you see this from the acception's point of view, without, possibly, the proper experience for empathy. You're very intelligent, and obviously able to not let other factors affect that. Perhaps if you were a millionaire, with a butler, you would have gotten 600 points, who knows :D

But the fact remains, that on average; John Smith, born into a privelaged world, will obtain higher marks than that exact same John Smith, had he been born in less well off surroundings.

And that simply cannot be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

got 430, my course was 420 but im fairly sure i got my course first round because of HEAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 MichealConroy

My Course was 410 I got 375. Wasnt expexting it but was a nice surprise.

Anyone esle know their score? Mine was 983

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

dude do ya even know what a racist is?:D

You can't jusge all these people becasue some of them got a little extra help. I know a girl from my school last year, who got her place becasue of the access programme. It wasn't that she wasn't capable, she could have gotten over 500 if she were able, but the fact was she couldn't come to school. Her parents needed her to work, so instead of coming to school, 2 days a week she went to work and missed out on a LOT of her education. You can hardly say it was her fault, or that she couldn't have gotten her course becasue she wasn't capable of the work. If she had gotten the chance she could have had any course, but due to her circumstances that wasn't possible.
    With the access programme she got 390, only 5 points off her course. I can't think of any more deserving than her to get a college place becasue of the access programme.

Advertisement