Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TA312 Computing

Options
  • 17-08-2009 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

So didn't get offered any level 8's so accpeted this course (which I'm aware is basically the same as the level 8). Anyone on here do the course? What's it like? Many hours?

Also ITT itselfs, heard there's MMA and some other very interesting activities, anyone care to expand?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I am doing the course atm. Basically, it's omnibus for first year - you do both programming and the business of IT pretty much 50:50 although you will feel that there is more of an emphasis on learning Java (or as you will come to know it "That fooking stupid computer language"). At the start of 2nd year you will choose whether to do the IT Management course or the programming course.

Obviously, that means that you are choosing whether to go on and learn more about the joyous world of computer languages or on other aspects of the IT world in the IT Man course. You should be able to decide which one you like by the end of first year.

The IT Man course has a greater emphasis on things such as database' and networking. You also do a 6 month work experience after 2nd year from June - December.

In 1st year you will have somewhere in the range of 35 hours and it decreases as you continue on in the course.

I'm just finished 3rd year and by this stage I'm starting to absolutely hate the course. Many of my peers feel the same while others still like or love it.

Unless your absolutely dedicated to computing there will be times when you will want to jump up on the desk, kick the computer screen away, rip off your shirt and start screeching like a monkey. Because it can get boring.

The clubs and socs are all pretty good. There is something for everyone (and if there isn't - Start one up :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Teferi wrote: »
    I am doing the course atm. Basically, it's omnibus for first year - you do both programming and the business of IT pretty much 50:50 although you will feel that there is more of an emphasis on learning Java (or as you will come to know it "That fooking stupid computer language"). At the start of 2nd year you will choose whether to do the IT Management course or the programming course.

Obviously, that means that you are choosing whether to go on and learn more about the joyous world of computer languages or on other aspects of the IT world in the IT Man course. You should be able to decide which one you like by the end of first year.

The IT Man course has a greater emphasis on things such as database' and networking. You also do a 6 month work experience after 2nd year from June - December.

In 1st year you will have somewhere in the range of 35 hours and it decreases as you continue on in the course.

I'm just finished 3rd year and by this stage I'm starting to absolutely hate the course. Many of my peers feel the same while others still like or love it.

Unless your absolutely dedicated to computing there will be times when you will want to jump up on the desk, kick the computer screen away, rip off your shirt and start screeching like a monkey. Because it can get boring.

The clubs and socs are all pretty good. There is something for everyone (and if there isn't - Start one up :D ).

Cheers man.

From what I'm gathered most computer courses get boring after a certain amount of time, so well I'll live with it.:D

Are you planning on going on and doing 4th year?

Anywhere were there is a list of clubs and socs?

Cheers man.

From what I'm gathered most computer courses get boring after a certain amount of time, so well I'll live with it.:D

Are you planning on going on and doing 4th year?

Anywhere were there is a list of clubs and socs?

List of clubs and socs :) I'm pretty sure there is more than that though.

I've applied for 4th year and have a place pending 3rd year repeat results. I honestly don't know if I'll do it yet. Trying to decide if it's worth the extra year. A good few people have already decided they are not going back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

You also do a 6 month work experience after 2nd year from June - December.

I thought the work experience was from december to june?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ittmixedmartial

well bro im a student doing that exact course and im also one of the mma instructors ha ill be repeating some of my first year course as was said you get fed up sumtimes i just got lazy and need to cop on ha but by all means bro ill be around the college alot this year even if i dont have classes im the p.r.o of the club so im organising alot of comps in kickboxing etc so it should be a welcome break from class i i know it got my mind of the classes for a while anyway if ur interest just pm me and ill give ya all the details no prob

• Advertisement

mcR wrote: »
    I thought the work experience was from december to june?

Maybe they changed it around this year but I done it from June - December 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

Maybe they changed it around this year but I done it from June - December 2008.

Really, maybe im wrong then, Does that mean you start in the summer all the way to december and you have to do it during the summer to pass the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭poncho000

The computing course is easy to pass a donkeys arse could do it. It doesn't matter if you are only doing a level 7 course if you get good grades you can go do the level 8.

As for the societies well I've been in 3 so far and two of them were poorly organised. Make sure you stay well clear of the table tennis society. To be honest id say most(not all) of the societies are rubbish and poorly organised.

mcR wrote: »
    Really, maybe im wrong then, Does that mean you start in the summer all the way to december and you have to do it during the summer to pass the year?

Yep you do it through the summer. Its the worst part of the course.
    poncho000 wrote: »
    The computing course is easy to pass a donkeys arse could do it. It doesn't matter if you are only doing a level 7 course if you get good grades you can go do the level 8.

As for the societies well I've been in 3 so far and two of them were poorly organised. Make sure you stay well clear of the table tennis society. To be honest id say most(not all) of the societies are rubbish and poorly organised.

The computing course is hardly easy to pass. You must have brains to burn.

Also, if you haven't joined the majority of the socs you can hardly pass judgement. In my experience most of the socs are decently organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭poncho000

well maybe i used a bit of probability there im sure you remember that from discrete mathematics. So i was in 3 societies 2 of which were were rubbish which means there is a high probability of the majority of the societies being rubbish.

The core subjects of programming and networking are difficult enough but the lecturers will pass you anyone. I see it in my class, people who dont have a clue about java and are still passing. The other subjects are real airy fairy kind of subjects, the sort of stuff that you could pick out of your arse on the day of the exam and still pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cheers gents for the replies.

Just a few other questions, what's the work load like? What's the earliest the course starts in the mornings? Does there be a full day on a Friday (Shels play on a Friday:D)?

MMA guy, once I don't manage to get a course in DIT I'll be in touch, defo want to take up some sort of fighting.:cool: Just need to order contacts so!:cool: Do you do all the stuff, e.g. boxing, etc...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'm in Terefi's year, but I do the other half of the course (the programming side).

First off, everything he has said has been spot on. You need to be motivated to work to do well in this course. If you put in the work, you will definately get the results. But if you are lazy, you fall behind very quickly.

An earlier posted mentioned that the course was easy, well to be honest, it's not! Ask anybody in the course and they will tell you that it's not easy! The programming side of the course has a large workload, a lot more work than the IT management side.

Overall, it's a good course. It can be boring and tough at times, but what college course isnt! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ittmixedmartial

yes we do it all my freind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I did the old school course before they split management and programming... while its easy to start with, it does get very hard very fast, I remember one week in 4th year where we had 8 in class Ca's in 5 days, that was fun...:D

Id summarize it as:

first year: easy and relaxed but catches many out(you'll lose a good chunk of your class mates here).
    second year: They step up the pace and level of course difficulty.
    Third year: They step up the pace and level of course difficulty to a point that will really test you.
    Forth year: Same level of course difficulty as third year but double the pace(Most people get to the point where they don't care anymore but still just manage to get through the course).

Its very easy to drift through the course if you have a bit of brainpower, but, be careful doing this as you'll get caught out by a subject you thought you knew well(Happened to me a few times).

I would advise going all the way through to level 8 at the minimum, its whats expected by most employers unless you want to spend your life in Tech support.

One of the advantages of this course is that it is very hands on especially compared to course in other colleges.

I'm thinking about going back to do the part time masters next year.

Advertisement