Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with my sweetcorn?

Options
  • 17-08-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,

I've planted the three sisters this year. Wanted to be like the Indians and have the three crops together feeding each other. The Borlotti Beans are growing up the tepee and they are fixing nitrogen back in, the squashes are around the circle supressing weeds. I've attached a pic of what it looked like when I built it in June

But I have no idea what to do with sweetcorn. How do I get lovely corn? I have 16 planted in blocks of 4 x 4 as this is the min they need to pollinate but after that I do not have a clue.

www.lifeinthesloelane.moonfruit.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Hi,

I've planted the three sisters this year. Wanted to be like the Indians and have the three crops together feeding each other. The Borlotti Beans are growing up the tepee and they are fixing nitrogen back in, the squashes are around the circle supressing weeds. I've attached a pic of what it looked like when I built it in June

But I have no idea what to do with sweetcorn. How do I get lovely corn? I have 16 planted in blocks of 4 x 4 as this is the min they need to pollinate but after that I do not have a clue.

www.lifeinthesloelane.moonfruit.com

I planted sweet corn last year for the first time. like you, didn't have a clue, but in the end I got super corn cobs.
    Wait till you get the cobs growing. When they near maurity, a sort of hairy bunch grows from the end of the cob. This is called the tassle. It is greeny yellow at first, graduallt turning yellow, to gold, and then at the end it turns brown. when the tassle is nicely brown in colour, the corn cob is ready to harvest.

R1

Advertisement