Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddy Power breaks gamblings golden rule.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,038 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭boccy23

Not sure what you mean by this.

I was one of the lucky punters who got a return when, as it turns out, I wouldn't have.

So I for one am extremely happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭raheny red

Paddy Powers are the only winners here and Woods' backers, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

boccy23 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by this.

I was one of the lucky punters who got a return when, as it turns out, I wouldn't have.

So I for one am extremely happy. :)

I dont mean to state the obvious here but dont bookmakers usually wait for the event to finish before paying out.

raheny red wrote: »
    Paddy Powers are the only winners here and Woods' backers, obviously.

They already are. €1.25 Million is chicken feed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,038 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

orourkeda wrote: »
    I dont mean to state the obvious here but dont bookmakers usually wait for the event to finish before paying out.

nope not always iirc pp also paid out on utd winning the league early

pp were lucky with that

Obviously yes. But as I said, if they did I wouldn't have been paid.

What's the premise of your point here?

boccy23 wrote: »
    Obviously yes. But as I said, if they did I wouldn't have been paid.

What's the premise of your point here?

I got paid too. Is it likely to happen again?

Headshot wrote: »
    nope not always iirc pp also paid out on utd winning the league early

pp were lucky with that

Thats true. That happened on more that one occasion too

I got paid too. Is it likely to happen again?

I'm sure it will. He does it a couple or three times a year and mainly involves Football.

Has paid out on Utd the last few seasons.

Whether he will do it again - I would say yes.

On what - No idea.

• Advertisement

They already are. €1.25 Million is chicken feed

I'd say it was nowhere near that, the majority of that would have been traded out. They've made great publicity out of Tiger not winning, in a sense it was the best result for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hussard

Powers were not best priced on Woods and given he was so short it would probably have been a decent winner for them anyway. Rory McIlroy coming in a place might have been much worse.

The point is however it is good marketing. Next time you go for a bet on what you think is a good thing, you will think of PP just in case...

This was all started by an English bookmaker called Fred Done who paid out early on his beloved Man U winning the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

Anyone check out wha happened in the 5.50 in yarmouth today.
    Spencer was on New Christmas and was heavily backed to win and started off odds on. I had a decent bet on @ 10/11 in Boylesports.
    ace started horse took off and left spencer in the stalls. I loled cos this happend on a nag i backed last week too but wasnt to upset as i felt BS would duly refund the stake on the fav as he didnt compete even though he was under starters orders.
    Annouced 5 mins after the race that a refund would be given. I got my refund and strolled over to PP shop across the street to find out that they wouldnt refund any bets on the fav and their was a lot of unhappy punters when i told em i got a refund.
    Bad form by PP imo and just goes to show they are bitter over their loss at the weekend. Delighted for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 JM434

Whyno wrote: »
    Bad form by PP imo and just goes to show they are bitter over their loss at the weekend. Delighted for them.

How does it show that they are "bitter" over paying out early on Woods? The two events aren't related at all. You cannot expect them to refund money for every mishap. They have to make money too! I believe Boylesports were the only bookmaker to offer a refund.

Paddy Power , in fairness to them, are fantastic at marketing which makes up for their shortages elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Hussard wrote: »
    Powers were not best priced on Woods and given he was so short it would probably have been a decent winner for them anyway.

They were evens in the shops on Friday afternoon (before start of second round). Called it "enhanced odds" as his regular price was 4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The amount of people who, apparently, make regular bets (enough so to bother to read a gambling forum anyway) that are completely oblivious to the way bookie actually work and the reasoning for actions is astonishing.
    I am regularly in awe at the nonsense spouted around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Mellor wrote: »
    The amount of people who, apparently, make regular bets (enough so to bother to read a gambling forum anyway) that are completely oblivious to the way bookie actually work and the reasoning for actions is astonishing.
    I am regularly in awe at the nonsense spouted around here.

Well get off your pedestal and enlighten the plebs why dont you:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Mugs get Woods money on Saturday, bury it back over the counter, mugs and money dont stay together for long, Barney Curley summed it up he called a bookies a dole recycling shop. Mugs follow trends, talking to a muppet over the weekend told me Arsenal are useless, same man today said they are certainties to beat Celtic. My defenition of a mug is Tony Cascarino in the racing post, punt against him every week, almost bombproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mugs get Woods money on Saturday, bury it back over the counter, mugs and money dont stay together for long, Barney Curley summed it up he called a bookies a dole recycling shop. Mugs follow trends, talking to a muppet over the weekend told me Arsenal are useless, same man today said they are certainties to beat Celtic. My defenition of a mug is Tony Cascarino in the racing post, punt against him every week, almost bombproof.
    My definition of a Mug is someone who suggests that punting with or against the same thing everyweek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Powers were not best priced on Woods and given he was so short it would probably have been a decent winner for them anyway.
    Thursday before first ball they were 2/1 on Woods which was best price of the chosen bookies on oddschecker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I'd imagine they made plenty from Saturday and Sunday on Woods loosing and a worse result for them would have been Woods winning again.

Anyhow there is no way they were going around with a big liability on Woods one way or the other. They would have used the market to limit their exposure.

In summary, they were clear about how much it cost them but not how much a Woods loss made them. Great marketing.

Powers were not best priced on Woods and given he was so short it would probably have been a decent winner for them anyway. Rory McIlroy coming in a place might have been much worse.

The point is however it is good marketing. Next time you go for a bet on what you think is a good thing, you will think of PP just in case...

This was all started by an English bookmaker called Fred Done who paid out early on his beloved Man U winning the title.

They were. I backed him on PP at 2\1. He was 7\4 pretty much everywhere else.

JM434 wrote: »
    How does it show that they are "bitter" over paying out early on Woods? The two events aren't related at all. You cannot expect them to refund money for every mishap. They have to make money too! I believe Boylesports were the only bookmaker to offer a refund.

Paddy Power , in fairness to them, are fantastic at marketing which makes up for their shortages elsewhere.

Hacketts did as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Powers were not best priced on Woods

They weren't the worst, that claim to fame goes to Boylers who were a
    terrible 11/8 on the Wednesday and then 13/8 on the Thursday morning when most of the others were 15/8 or 2's.
    Fine they were paying 6 places (unlike Hills & Ladbrokes) but so were PP and they were a way bigger price.
    You would expect that when a bookie wants to avoid laying a selection he would be a much bigger price on some of the rest not so in Boyles case on the Thursday morning, pratically the same prices as the other big bookies on the next 5-10 players in the betting.
    PP were 9/4 on the Wednesday in Talbot Street shop, just sorry I didn't have a bit more on him at the time :(
    Didn't hang on to it for too long as he was 2.91/1 on the Fair so hedged it out to give me a Free bet and even better, got paid twice :p.
    Now if only I could do this every day :cool:
    Can't understand how Hills and Ladbrokes still only 5 places in the big Golf tournies when they know the 2 big Irish bookies will go 6.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    They weren't the worst, that claim to fame goes to Boylers who were a
    terrible 11/8 on the Wednesday and then 13/8 on the Thursday morning when most of the others were 15/8 or 2's.
    Fine they were paying 6 places (unlike Hills & Ladbrokes) but so were PP and they were a way bigger price.
    You would expect that when a bookie wants to avoid laying a selection he would be a much bigger price on some of the rest not so in Boyles case on the Thursday morning, pratically the same prices as the other big bookies on the next 5-10 players in the betting.
    PP were 9/4 on the Wednesday in Talbot Street shop, just sorry I didn't have a bit more on him at the time :(
    Didn't hang on to it for too long as he was 2.91/1 on the Fair so hedged it out to give me a Free bet and even better, got paid twice :p.
    Now if only I could do this every day :cool:
    Can't understand how Hills and Ladbrokes still only 5 places in the big Golf tournies when they know the 2 big Irish bookies will go 6.

I can't speak for Hills but the Ladbrokes shops in Ireland have been paying six places on the bigger tournaments (and seven on the Open) for ages at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Ladbrokes shops in Ireland have been paying six places on the bigger tournaments (and seven on the Open) for ages at this stage.

Well if they do, they don't advertise it very well.
    Is it for shops, over phone and the net as well?

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Well if they do, they don't advertise it very well.
    Is it for shops, over phone and the net as well?

Shops only and God gave you eyes for a reason!

Advertisement