Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats stalking my rabbit

Options
  • 17-08-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭

I know there are a few threads in the Rabbit Vs Cats topic. I want a definate answer. Will a cat really attack an rabbit?
    I always had it in my head that cats wouldn't attack anything bigger/same size as them.
    My rabbit was happily running arund nibbling grass in my back garden when I noticed two cats on opposite sides of the garden sitting up on the walls watching him hungrily!!!! My rabbit has never seen a cat before so he desn't even know to run away. When I clapped my hands they ran off(then Tim the Thicko started kicking the ground like mad).
    So now, do I have to sit out with him every time he is outside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

i can honestly say ,having two cats of my own, that i wouldn't trust a cat near a rabbit you never know what might happen,, if i were you i'd put cat repellent along your walls or just stay out with him ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I tried that cat reppellent before and it didn't work. Any specific brand worthwhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

All rabbits should be in a secure run outside when unsupervised. Cats and dogs often kill pet and wild rabbits and guinea pigs. I don't think those cat repellent things really work.

Cats will kill larger animals, might sound silly put birds of prey can also eye up pet rabbits even in urban areas.

Have none atm but have had cats for 20 years, love cats but wouldn't trust them around smallies no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Don't trust cats around rabbits at all. Left my rabbits happily in the kitchen one day only to come in and find a cat chasing them after getting in the window.

I don't think clapping my hands will scare away a bird of prey!
    Waiting for partner to build hutch/run. Don't know if the rabbit will ever get to enjoy it. he only has about4 years left to live!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

When I was a kid we had this cat that my uncle gave us. He reckoned some wild cat from "up the mountain" was the father of the litter (he lives at the foot of a mountain). So anyway the cat turned out to be huge, really hairy and quite wild and agressive. One day my aunt came to visit with her two-and-a-half year-old son. We were out playing in the back garden when my mum noticed that our cat was stalking the toddler, and looked like he was gonna pounce!:eek: Scary, had to bring the child inside.

So yeah, keep your rabbit inside!

On another note, I recently got a rescue kitten. He insists on sitting up on my shoulder like a pirate's parrot. Why is he doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I would trust my own cats with rabbits, as mine were brought up with rabbits since they were small, and have no interest in him whatsoever. He has no fear of them either. However, I would not trust any other cat with my rabbit, there are several strays in the area who I'm sure would make quick work of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

boogle wrote: »

On another note, I recently got a rescue kitten. He insists on sitting up on my shoulder like a pirate's parrot. Why is he doing this?

He's just looking for cuddles and attention.
    Our two used to do that when they were tiny and would snuggle into our necks and go asleep there.
    Enjoy it because they'll grow out of it quickly enough :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye my friends kittens would snuggle like that.
    My pup did that when we first got her too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Depends on the rabbit, we have one big buck rabbit who likes beating up cats......:pac:

If they come into the garden, the have to run up a tree and very fast....... as he will run at them

but the smaller rabbits/guinnea pigs would be in danger

• Advertisement

boogle wrote: »
    All the kitten's I've ever had loved being up around my shoulders! I have a few theories. I know that the head/neck area releases the most heat in our bodies and cats love warmth(thats why you have to be careful when you sleep around cats because thay try and sleep on your face. A few newborns have been smothered this way).
    Also they feel safe higer up from the ground.
    By the way as cute and all as it is, when you have a fully grown cat launching itself at your head, or trying to climb up your trouser leg to get to your shoulders, it is not as pleasant!

Hermit07 wrote: »
    Depends on the rabbit, we have one big buck rabbit who likes beating up cats......:pac:

Great this I can work with.

My rabbit is also an unneutered buck
    Now how do i turn him into a mean scary thing that will chase rabbits....and not the big yellow belly he is who flirts with my slippers?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

My friend's cat used to hunt rabbits. she would come out into her garden in the morning and find the rabbits' ears scattered about! :eek: Horrible cat!

by the way - this -
    A few newborns have been smothered this way
    - is a myth. http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/catsuck.asp

msFisers,

off topic but ...
    The website you linked actually says that cats don't intentional harm children by sucking the wind out of them, but may ly smother babies by lying on thier faces...
    third or fourth paragraph down

i don't dislike cats, but I do like my rabbit more than cats I don't own!
    if I came outside to find only the ears of my rabbit, i might just get a really cat-hating dog:D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Cats like to hunt. It's in their nature. They like to kill and eat rabbits. So em...careful now! It would mainly be small rabbits though.

Advertisement