Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computing vs computer science

Options
  • 17-08-2009 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I didn't get the course that i wanted (comp sc and soft engineering nuim) but i got computing in dit

What is the main difference between all these computer courses. When i looked them up they all looked pretty much the same.
    So... Computing vs computer science vs computer science and software engineering.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Is computing not just a term used by IT's?Where as Comp science is a univeristy term?

That might be it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Having just finished Computer Science in TCD, I can tell you that Computer Science is a bit more theory - stuff you may not need to know to get the job done, but it very helpful in having an overall understanding. Computing would be more practical - more programming heavy, what employers want.

If you're interested in computers, comp sci is the way to go.
    If you want to settle into a job easily, and don't care about the internal workings, computing is your best bet.

(Not to say that computer scientists would have even the slightest bit of trouble getting a job)

Let me put it this way: I know someone in computing who was given an assignment of dual-booting OSs on a PC as an assignment. Computer scientists would scoff at that - it's something implementation specific and "unimportant" - but it is a job that does need doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

i got comp science and software engineering in nuim whoop,but a question thats slightly off topic but oh well. A friend of mine got over 500 points and got architecture in DIT,in maynooth u get a 1000€ grant for over 500,is it the same in dit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Thanks for rubbing that in dude...

Advertisement