Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Those Who Didn't Make It In Round 1

Options
  • 17-08-2009 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I've decided to start this thread for those of us who didn't get any offers in the 1st round, like myself. It can be upsetting, and with all the hype surrounding those who did get offers,it can get really worrying.

So if you didn't get anything, or just want to offer comfort to those who didn't, post here.

Remember that there are always other options and your life isn't over just because you missed out on the 1st round. You still have round 2 next week and the vacant places that may be left behind. And if you still don't get anything, its not the end of the world, even though the hype may make it seem that way.

PLCS, trying to get a job, trying again next year, taking self-improvement classes...there are more and less options open to you depending on your circumstances. But please,please don't worry too much ok?
    Lets all just try to help each other past all the hype and the upset.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

how many options did you put down for your lvl 8 and 7/6 courses??

You can still sign up for a plc and get through to a lvl 8 next year (or the year after if it's 2 years) on the results from the plc (I'm 90% sure on that one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Jade182 wrote: »
    I've decided to start this thread for those of us who didn't get any offers in the 1st round, like myself. It can be upsetting, and with all the hype surrounding those who did get offers,it can get really worrying.

So if you didn't get anything, or just want to offer comfort to those who didn't, post here.

Remember that there are always other options and your life isn't over just because you missed out on the 1st round. You still have round 2 next week and the vacant places that may be left behind. And if you still don't get anything, its not the end of the world, even though the hype may make it seem that way.

PLCS, trying to get a job, trying again next year, taking self-improvement classes...there are more and less options open to you depending on your circumstances. But please,please don't worry too much ok?
    Lets all just try to help each other past all the hype and the upset.

Remember that if you didn't get the points now the recheck of the examination papers might get you more points. If so you'll be offered vacancies around October. If there's no vacancies then try to be optimistic, you might have a good chance of getting in next year. There are advantages to this, a) you won't have to repeat the Leaving Cert b) you have a whole year to look over your options again for college with the points you got in the rechecks, and c) If you get a job in the meantime you'll earn money for college the next year. Many people also defer courses for a year to travel, etc., so don't feel disheartened about not starting college directly after school.

Always remember that the world is your oyster. Did you know that some of the richest and most successful people in Ireland never had a proper education? Be confidence, be courageous and you will succeed in life!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Ailteoir

I got dick, all the courses i put down were computing and all went up by around 100 points leaveing me with nothing :(

I have applied for a PLC but i have to do an interview and i dont know what that will be like, eg what should i wear, what should i bring, what will be asked, etc :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Didnt get anything I wanted either, waiting on Round 2 now, and the vacant lists.

Ailteoir wrote: »
    I got dick, all the courses i put down were computing and all went up by around 100 points leaveing me with nothing :(

I have applied for a PLC but i have to do an interview and i dont know what that will be like, eg what should i wear, what should i bring, what will be asked, etc :(

You'll most likely need your statement of results for the LC. Bring a CV with possible previous work experience on it. In terms of "what to wear", you won't need to go in wearing a suit, dressy-casual, slacks, shirt (maybe tie). Contact the plc provider to find out more about the application process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

wolfric wrote: »
    how many options did you put down for your lvl 8 and 7/6 courses??

You can still sign up for a plc and get through to a lvl 8 next year (or the year after if it's 2 years) on the results from the plc (I'm 90% sure on that one)

Yeah Ive signed up to do an interview for a PLC in september. that was always my back-up plan. but what stings is i missed out on my course by FIVE measly points. i tried my best. ive always been an average student but i really knuckled down for the two years before exams, studied every single day for hours on end just to make the info stick.so it came as a bit of a shock to see i still didnt get what i worked for.
    im getting over it though and reviewing my options. what upsets me more is that i can imagine all the others who didnt make it. Ive known about people to end their own lives over this sorta thing so i thought id set this up as a kind of support group for others :)

I did a PLC interview in late june as a backup for just this sort of thing.the course was cancelled due to lack of interest later on but i still went through the interview. i wore a neat blouse,slacks and leather shoes. but it soon became apparent i was overdressed! most people went in wearin jeans and a t-shirt. The kidn of questions they asked were quite casual.
    1. Why is it that you're interested in this course?
    2. Have you applied to any other similar courses(just in case we cannot provide you with a place here).
    3. Do you wish to do this course to build on your skills or to get into college?

After that they explained that the course had a little less interest shown in it than they were hoping. PLC interviews are usually like a group chat with the instructors. Try not to frazzle yourself because its just like being in Secondary school. the teachers aren't big professor formal types like u may expect, they are quite down to earth.
    I have another one in september so good luck us!

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Remember that if you didn't get the points now the recheck of the examination papers might get you more points. If so you'll be offered vacancies around October. If there's no vacancies then try to be optimistic, you might have a good chance of getting in next year. There are advantages to this, a) you won't have to repeat the Leaving Cert b) you have a whole year to look over your options again for college with the points you got in the rechecks, and c) If you get a job in the meantime you'll earn money for college the next year. Many people also defer courses for a year to travel, etc., so don't feel disheartened about not starting college directly after school.

Always remember that the world is your oyster. Did you know that some of the richest and most successful people in Ireland never had a proper education? Be confidence, be courageous and you will succeed in life!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I have decided not to get my exams rechecked. I can ill afford it for one, bt for another I worked to the top of my game and I believe that what Ive been given is the best I could hope for. Five extra points would be great just to get me into my course, but I'm a little afraid that if I send my exams for reviewing they'll downgrade me instead.
    Its ok, ive already settled into the idea of doing a PLC now. It'll probably take the family a little while to get used to that idea though...

Thanks for the answers jade+michael

I am just worried about not getting into the PLC as if I dont i have nothing else, aannoyed that a friend of mine got into the same course i applied for with just 100 points last year and i cant get it :P.

Where is the course you are doing Jade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cyberbemon

i made it...but my twin didn't..:(:(..

• Advertisement

I'm hoping to do a PLC in Dunboyne CFE. I applied for two of their courses so have to do two interviews. I'm nervous about missing out on them too...But try to take it one step at a time. Focus on getting over the CAO hype first, and the DAY before ur interview, allow yourself a little nerves. My trick is to think about it like something unimportant until the actual event. But for the CAO i didnt use that trick coz I got swept up in my friends excitement. they all got into courses(they've always been more academic than me).

I'm hoping to do a PLC in Dunboyne CFE. I applied for two of their courses so have to do two interviews. I'm nervous about missing out on them too...But try to take it one step at a time. Focus on getting over the CAO hype first, and the DAY before ur interview, allow yourself a little nerves. My trick is to think about it like something unimportant until the actual event. But for the CAO i didnt use that trick coz I got swept up in my friends excitement. they all got into courses(they've always been more academic than me).

Kinda the same here, all friends are like oh hai you get in an i am like well erm
    no :(, i did a ****e leaveing due to never being fully interested in the subjects i did.

I applied for a PLC in BIFE before i even did the leaveing and my interview is on the 27th which is crap as i need to send away application for grant fee stuff aswell but need acceptance thing , i feel cluster****ed atm :P

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I have decided not to get my exams rechecked. I can ill afford it for one, bt for another I worked to the top of my game and I believe that what Ive been given is the best I could hope for. Five extra points would be great just to get me into my course, but I'm a little afraid that if I send my exams for reviewing they'll downgrade me instead.

Can you not just view the scripts and then if you are borderline for going up a grade on any of them just get those ones checked? 5 points is a small margin, you could be lucky and get those points. You might regret it down the line if you dont check.

Kinda the same here, all friends are like oh hai you get in an i am like well erm
    no :(, i did a ****e leaveing due to never being fully interested in the subjects i did.

I applied for a PLC in BIFE before i even did the leaveing and my interview is on the 27th which is crap as i need to send away application for grant fee stuff aswell but need acceptance thing , i feel cluster****ed atm :P

I know the feeling. Last year, the course I applied to was much much lower than it is now and my mate got into it. She was all excited when i said i applied to her course and now i dread the moment she asked me when im starting in her college...all my friends are quite academically good so they all got in the 400-500 range.

It doesn't help either that friends and relatives still have that old fashioned view of PLCs that they are just for 'wasters'.

avalon68 wrote: »
    Can you not just view the scripts and then if you are borderline for going up a grade on any of them just get those ones checked? 5 points is a small margin, you could be lucky and get those points. You might regret it down the line if you dont check.

I suppose. Whats the deadline for viewing the scripts then? Im not getting my hopes up though.

I know the feeling. Last year, the course I applied to was much much lower than it is now and my mate got into it. She was all excited when i said i applied to her course and now i dread the moment she asked me when im starting in her college...all my friends are quite academically good so they all got in the 400-500 range.

It doesn't help either that friends and relatives still have that old fashioned view of PLCs that they are just for 'wasters'.

Same here :( my family are the same mum is telling me if i am not going to college to just get a job and be usefull, its **** :(

Alot of my friends did really well and i just sit there with my 155 points(which i was lucky to get as i didnt go to school half the year or study at all)

I suppose. Whats the deadline for viewing the scripts then? Im not getting my hopes up though.

Im not sure what the deadline is. It might be on the CAO website or else ring your school and they should be able to help. Its definitely worth a look anyway. And even if it doesnt work out there are always ways around. Use your PLC as a stepping stone to work your way into the course you want in a few years time. Where theres a will theres a way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

So is there much of a chance of getting your course in the 2nd round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭quackisss

For viewing the scripts you need to hand in the form to your school by today! That's what it says on the form I got from the school, then you're given a certain date and time for viewing it.

I got an offer for Tallaght which was my 4th choice :( I got 345 and was aiming for 355 but the course that was 355 has gone up to 375, my 2nd choice went up to 360 and my 3rd choice went up to 350 so I was just 5 points away.

So what are the chances of getting one of those offered up in round 2? And if you don't accept your round 1 offer but then don't get a better offer in round 2, can you go back and accept the round 1 offer?? If that makes sense? I could really use some advice!

quackisss wrote: »
    And if you don't accept your round 1 offer but then don't get a better offer in round 2, can you go back and accept the round 1 offer?? If that makes sense? I could really use some advice!

I assume if you dont accept your round offer it will be offered to somebody else in round two. I dont think you can go back and say you want it later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I know how you feel man, didn't get one level 8, but got my 1st level 7 (basically my 3rd choice level 8). Really surprised computing went up across the board as like the majority of the courses last year didn't fill afaik.

I know how you feel man, didn't get one level 8, but got my 1st level 7 (basically my 3rd choice level 8). Really surprised computing went up across the board as like the majority of the courses last year didn't fill afaik.

I know its **** i know people who got in last year just by passing 5 subjects grrrrrrrrr :P

Signature wrote: »
    So is there much of a chance of getting your course in the 2nd round?

You never really can tell, just hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Am quite messed up now. I got none of my courses cuz there was a significant rise in all of them!!
    Oh well! I'm praying to get a PLC course! I couldn't face going back to my ****hole of a school for another year.

Sophsxxx wrote: »
    Am quite messed up now. I got none of my courses cuz there was a significant rise in all of them!!
    Oh well! I'm praying to get a PLC course! I couldn't face going back to my ****hole of a school for another year.

Same reason i aint repeating :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19 predominanantly

So.. by how much do the points usually change from round one to round two? I lost out in arts by 15.. I was ten over. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 KitKatt

Yeah Ive signed up to do an interview for a PLC in september. that was always my back-up plan. but what stings is i missed out on my course by FIVE measly points. i tried my best. ive always been an average student but i really knuckled down for the two years before exams, studied every single day for hours on end just to make the info stick.so it came as a bit of a shock to see i still didnt get what i worked for.
    im getting over it though and reviewing my options. what upsets me more is that i can imagine all the others who didnt make it. Ive known about people to end their own lives over this sorta thing so i thought id set this up as a kind of support group for others :)

i got 430 and i was very happy with that as i feared id fail ord maths, but i missed my 1st choice by 5 points aswell, journalism in dit is 435 :( makes me wish i worked harder!! but who knows we may get lucky in the 2nd round!

Same reason i aint repeating :P

If I repeated I think my points would go down for the sheer fact that I would spend every day freaking out and punching everything in sight instead of studying. It took some very hard work to get me through the exams emotionally the first time. I almost gave up at one point but my mam pushed me to finish(thank god, even though i didnt get into college id be in way too deep now if i hadnt done the leaving).

I'm not going to repeat. But I went down to the school a couple of hours ago and dropped in the form for viewing my scripts. Ill see what can be done about it. The secretary at my school looked really frazzled and when she spoke to me it was as if she thought i was as fragile as glass. Maybe she had seen a few breakdowns from my fellow students who were dissapointed this morning too. She was very careful in the manner she spoke to me.
    It could also have to do with my big teary red eyes XD
    I hope everyone who comes onto this thread feels a little better with the knowledge that there are at least others in the same position as them.

I really hope there are no suicides this year as there were last, and that was a Junior Cert student. Too much hype is created by students and parents alike. The LC is NOT the last chance for a happy fulfilling life!!

Anyone here going for a PLC at Dunboyne CFE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 liljeff

I too share in the disappointment of not getting a place. However, i did not have the agony of sitting the leaving cert this year. I applied as a mature student. This is the second year in a row that i have been refused a place. I've been listening to the media telling us how colleges are going to be offering places to those who worked in the construction industry in a bid to get us back into working again. I'm wondering now if this is really true. I applied for a course in computing. A level 6 course for 2 years. Being unemployed now for almost 18 months and with the full use of the internet and a good computer, I like to think that i have become damn good at this type of thing(computers). Hence the reason for applying for a computer course.

So now, where do i go from here? any idea's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

well are you aiming realisticly? there's no point in hoping that the points are going to come down 100 points or more. Aim for a lvl 6/7 course and go for the ones that are around (or below) your points that you have. Put down lots.

Apply for pls (you may still have time)
    And if you're out of your parents place you can apply for the mature student on the dole college thingy. (assuming you've been on it long enough)

Advertisement