Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gave months notice, landlord wants me to pay to end of next rental month !!!.

Options
  • 17-08-2009 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi
    I am renting a room from a private landlord. No lease has been signed. I am in the property almost 6 months. Rent is due on the 1st of each month. I gave one months notice on the 11 of July 2009. When the rent was due on the 1st of August my land lord wants me to pay for the entire month of august !!!! As far as I am concerned I only have to pay from the 1st of august to the 11 of august as i gave him notic on the 11th of July.

Can any body please advise as I have been talking to the prtb and they said it is a " grey" area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

No lease was signed?

I don't see why you'd have to pay further than when you're staying there. It's just paying what you owe and you gave the right notice. Is your tenancy registered with the PRTB? Did you pay a security deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's 17 Aug today, did you leave at 11th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

It has always been a grey area as people view it differently. Some landlords think you can't rent for half a month and will always round up. Using the logic you can't bite a doughnut and only pay for the amount you ate.

A months notice is considered a calender month by most as opposed to what you are saying which is 4 weeks notice equivalent to a month but it is not actually a month.

You could pursue it but it will be a lot of hassle and you are not automatically correct unlike many issues others have in front of the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can see how the landlord would want a full months rent then, although he could have been nice and let you off.
    Once you have left the premises, keep coming back occasionally to make sure he hasn't let "your" room out before the end of the month.
    Hope you get deposit back, this guy seems to be the kind who'd try to hold on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Surely a month's notice runs from the xth of this month to the xth of next month. That's how it works for redundancy and bank withdrawals anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You have to give 28 days notice: http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240
    (finally updated to tell people about non part 4 tenancies).

As the prtb said, it's a grey area, and could have been avoided if you had given your notice a few days before the 1st of the month, instead of the 11th, I presume you gave them a written notice, following this template http://www.threshold.ie/documents/Notice%20of%20termination%20updated%202%20July%202008.doc (otherwise the landlord could chase you for the next months rent as well, legally).

It will probably take a court case to decide what the ruling would be in these cases, and it may end up that even with part 4 tenancies, the tenants will sign that they pay rent on the X of the month, and that the minimum rental time is 1 calendar month (rather than notice + 1 month).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I re-read the OP's post.
    they are renting a room - this is not a rental agreement, it's a license.
    I'd definitely say the OP only needs to pay for 11/31th of the month of August, if even that, as a person in a rent a room has much less security of tenure than a "renter"

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mnfbbmi

Cathooo wrote: »
    No lease was signed?

I don't see why you'd have to pay further than when you're staying there. It's just paying what you owe and you gave the right notice. Is your tenancy registered with the PRTB? Did you pay a security deposit?

Hi Cathooo.
    I paid one months deposit, and Im not registered with the prtb.

I re-read the OP's post.
    they are renting a room - this is not a rental agreement, it's a license.
    I'd definitely say the OP only needs to pay for 11/31th of the month of August, if even that, as a person in a rent a room has much less security of tenure than a "renter"

Kipperhell wrote: »
    It has always been a grey area as people view it differently. Some landlords think you can't rent for half a month and will always round up. Using the logic you can't bite a doughnut and only pay for the amount you ate.

A months notice is considered a calender month by most as opposed to what you are saying which is 4 weeks notice equivalent to a month but it is not actually a month.

You could pursue it but it will be a lot of hassle and you are not automatically correct unlike many issues others have in front of the PRTB.
    Hi.
    But when I moved in on the 10th of Feb my land lord had no problem me paying rent from then to the end of the month, to save him having to call round again on the 10th of each month to collect my rent. I think he knows he is wrong but just wont admit it

• Advertisement

Surely a month's notice runs from the xth of this month to the xth of next month. That's how it works for redundancy and bank withdrawals anyway.
    Hi.
    That is what I was thinking, and I have been doing it this way since I started renting acc about 15 years ago. Makes sence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Why would it? Especially in a somewhat less formal situation like the OP seems to have, there's surely no difference to the landlord when the OP leaves, be it 1, 20, 30 days into a month, once they know a month in advance?

Advertisement