Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Labs and odd film formats.

Options
  • 17-08-2009 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I'm planning to play about with an old Lubitel 2 camera that takes 120 film but I was thinking of running 35mm film through it. I'll probably end up with negatives 60x24mm as opposed to the usual 36x24mm.

My question is, can I expect a regular photo lab to handle this format?

I'm sure processing the film shouldn't be a problem once I ask them not to cut the negs but what about printing or scanning? Is the printing process continuous or or do they print on pre-cut paper? (6x4in or 5x7in)

I also have an old Yashica half-frame camera. What can I expect my local photo lab to do with half frame negs?

It's been a while since I played with film.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I dont really see why not? Im not an expert but if most places can develop/print 120 C-41 I don't see why they couldn't make prints from the 35mm. At the worst they might not be able to print out whats in the borders of the frame..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭yarglags

Thanks for that. I'm just wondering if I drop a film into a regular photolab, what should I expect to get.

Would I be better off making a mask to keep the 36x24 format...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you don't want the mask, then don't use it :)

As for what you'll get back, it depends on the lab, and more importantly, it depends who's working there - They're capable of all sorts, but it depends if they're bothered.

Just make sure to tell them to leave your negs uncut. You can always scan them again later on if needs be :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Anywhere can do them but only one will take the time to put onto cd and that's gunn's on Camden St. Explain carefully what you want and thay'll do it. I've been popping 35mm through a 116mm camera and they're the only ones and I'm a cheapskate so have tried loads of places. It might be a bit easier for them doing 35mm through 120mm as it's smaller than 116mm and is still in use.
    But for mine they have to scan the negs in thirds and then you've to stitch them together on computer.
    But Gunn's are nearly happy to do it, but no-one else is remotely interested, let alone understand.

They'll charge you 15 per roll. This is the same price if they develop them or you just go in with the roll already developed. 15quid.

33FD6B6C50804ED684371B7EA797FC0B.jpg

Thanks Faj, I'd prefer not to use a mask.

Many years ago I got a roll of film processed in Learys on Chelmsford Road. I asked for the film and prints uncut. I got a 4ft length of paper back with my pics printed side by side. I'm thinking that I might be able to get a panoramic image or at least a wider perspective print.

Have processes changed, am I likely to be told where to go.

• Advertisement

Thanks Humb,

I was composing my last post when you replied. Cool Pic by the way. I am a cheapskate too.:)

Nope, you'll still be able to get that, aswell as a panoramic print - The paper comes in rolls.

Being told where to go really depends on the shop! As mentioned, places like Gunn's are well used to the weird and wonderful requests coming in, so I'd check with them first and foremost - They've done it for me in the past - And even included smaller cropped prints for free :)

Hmm, switching to pester mode.

I'll have to figure out what to shoot next. I'll also have to see what's on the roll in the Lubitel for the last 5 yrs.

Will Gunns do 120 including scan? I think I have a 127 roll somewhere can they do that too?

They should be able to do both 120 and 127, and a scan.

If I were you, I'd grab a roll of 400 speed colour and 400 speed black and white - They'll work in most conditions, with steady results :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

Hi, I work in a fuji lab and its no bother to develop the negs.
    The only problem is with the printing. I could scan them for you
    and put them on cd and print from that. The lab where i work
    doesnt have a 120 carrier so there would be problems scanning
    it normally. But I can scan the negetives on a flat bed scanner, no worries.

As for the half frame, easy peasy. I have a yashica half frame too
    and dev and print from it no bother. I usually print two photos on
    one six by four, but it can be done as 72 individual 6x4's too.

The paper comes in rolls so size isnt a problem. I have the lab set up to
    print a huge range of sizes so its pretty flexible. PM me if you need any more info.

:)

• Advertisement

That's where knowing somebody in a lab comes in very handy! :)

Good on ya Katie!

Fajitas! wrote: »
    That's where knowing somebody in a lab comes in very handy! :)

Good on ya Katie!

No worries! Love printing stuff thats a bit different :) My boss has agreed to give boards people a discount too! Camera centre in Blanchardstown is where Im at :D

Thanks folks.

For a moment there I thought Fajitas! was suggesting putting two films in the camera at the same time. Would be interesting if it was possible to fit the cassettes side by side. Hmm.

Katiemaloe - Blanchardstown. Where on the southside is that? :pac:

yarglags wrote: »
    Thanks folks.

For a moment there I thought Fajitas! was suggesting putting two films in the camera at the same time. Would be interesting if it was possible to fit the cassettes side by side. Hmm.

Katiemaloe - Blanchardstown. Where on the southside is that? :pac:

Mmm now Im thinking how cool would it be to get two 35mm films into a lubitel. I have one of those too! I reckon I could do it! Think Ill have to experiment tomorrow!

Yep Blanch is a dark and dangerous land on the far side of the liffey.... :D

You can indeed put 2 rolls of 35mm into a 120 camera... but it'll involved some cutting, as as far as I know, one roll has to hang outside the camera to fit, and the two rolls overlap... I've only seen it done on cheaper cameras like the Holga, never a Lubitel!

I think if I was putting 2 x 35mm in a lubitel, I would pull all the film out of the rolls (in a dark room) and load them and re-roll them in the lubitel, then the cannisters wouldn't be in the way. This seems to make sense in my head but I would have to check it out! I lent my lubitel to a mate and cant get it back for a few days so Ill have to be patient!

With a bit of masking tape, it could just work! You'll need to load and unload in complete dark though, and I'm not sure if there's a red window at the back that you'll have to lightseal, it could be deadly though!

Yeah i could use the dark box at work. It would be savage if it worked! Slide would be really cool :) So can't wait to get the lubitel back now!

The lubitel has a window which has to be masked off. There would be an overlap of 5mm in the middle of the frame.

You have to look in the red window when advancing 120 film to see the printed numbers on the paper roll. You don't have that with 35mm. I found this link to a table showing how to advance the film the correct amount.

I'm not happy about missing out on the middle part of the frame but I suppose that if you shoot with that in mind it could be interesting.

Wow! This is a crazy idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I saw this done in a Holga before with stunning results:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtcatbagan/2275854609/

• Advertisement

yeah I think it could be great fun. I havent used my lubitel very much, I'm not very experienced with 120. I definately want to try this out though! It would be a funky project. Think Ill have to get one of my mates to teach me to use the camera. Would be great to see the results :)

Ah! I'd been looking for that last night!

Katie, the Lubitels are quite easy to use, if you've used any camera in manual before, you'll get a handle on it fairly fast - The only complication is going to be looking through the ground glass... but you'll figure it out soon enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Great stuff

That's cool. Imagine using two different films, one colour one black&white or different speeds or processes.

thanks fajitas- I have most of it figured out.... just need to play with it more I think :)

That would be deadly using 2 different films, slide and negative would be class together, half positive and half negative. And you could do a photo project on the theme of opposites.... ooohh I cant wait to try it out!

Slide looks brilliant run through a larger format. I happened across a lot of process paid rolls of 100 iso and banged nearly them all through the brownie. Lovely looking.
    It was great to have the free rolls of film too as it was handy practising loading and unloading in the light until it could be done in the darkroom. Just roll them back up and do it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

katiemaloe wrote: »
    ooohh I cant wait to try it out!

Can't wait to see the results. :)

humberklog wrote: »
    Slide looks brilliant run through a larger format. I happened across a lot of process paid rolls of 100 iso and banged nearly them all through the brownie. Lovely looking.
    It was great to have the free rolls of film too as it was handy practising loading and unloading in the light until it could be done in the darkroom. Just roll them back up and do it a few times.

Oh yeah I can use a couple of the unicare rolls to practise with :) Good thinkin humberklog!

katiemaloe wrote: »
    Oh yeah I can use a couple of the unicare rolls to practise with :) Good thinkin humberklog!
    Yeah and remember to roll them back to do it again. I know this sounds obvious but I went through 5 or 6 before sense dawned.

You can count the turns it takes for each exposure too as the window counter will be out of action and remember a part twist for exp. seperation. If you get my drift.

• Advertisement

hee hee! I'll remember! Cheers :)

Advertisement