Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intercontinental affair

Options
  • 17-08-2009 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Ok so im new to this so il keep it brief. Im an irish girl, last year of degree, full and fairly good life, friends,family etc. Just back from a yearr abroad in Europe, great experience. and here it comes peeping over the edge of the page..
    BUT..there is a boy. A brasilian one, who I met while i was abroad and fell quite hard for. together for 5 months, then he returned home to Brasil at Christmas. And that was that, i thought. I went on a few dates at home in Ireland, nothing spectacular, hehe after latin passionfor so long, it can be a bit anglo saxon at home. But we kept talking, him and I, and for some reason instead of it fading off, it picked up momentum, from a week, to every second day to every day. Emails and phonecalls, we became closer friends then we even had in person. Then I returned to Europe, and somehow we became the highlight of eachothers day, both struggling with heavy workloads and lonely late hours. then he bought me a ticket to see him, and i had the best most happy 2 weeks of my life.
    So im back in damp ol'ireland and stuck thinking of him. I need the truth people, ugly or not. The way it stands is I will see him at Christmas, and he may visit next year. Neither of us are in a position to live in eachothers countries and not sure either of us want to. So im making myself face the decision, should i just relax and see what happens, or would it be healthier to just cut him out of my life. It would hurt and be difficult but better in the long run? i just seem to be living a half life of waiting for emails and calls, and sending and ringing back. I cant even make myself be interested in other guys but i dont want to be attached to an idea of love.
    Honest even harsh is welcome.
    Thank you in advance.

Possibility of this ever working? 0 votes

Worth fighting for
    0% 0 votes
    Sit back and See what happens
    0% 0 votes
    Let go
    0% 0 votes
    Crazy to try in the first place
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

cintra polls are not allowed in this forum, so this one is now closed. Please read the charter of this forum. Thanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Don't give it up without giving it a shot Cintra. You will regret it.

It's a rare thing to find someone so suited for you like that and, other side of the earth or not, you fight for them when they come along.

Sure, there's the chance it will faze itself out with the lack of physical contact over time, or it's too hard on one / both of you, the impracticalities will kill it out etc, but life's too short, give it a shot and cross that bridge if you come to it.

There's also the chance that it will get stronger and you will get closer, as has already happened, because you'll both be conscious of having to put in the effort because it's a long distance relationship.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

I disagree with Beks. Continuing this long-distance relationship will ultimately end up being a waste of time, feelings and emotions. Why? Because you've already pointed out the reality of the situation: Neither of you are in a position to, nor would wanna live in the others country. Having said that, it ultimately isn't going to end up working out.

I say this, having been in a similar situation myself. If one of the 2 people is willing to relocate and live their life in a completely different country, away from everything they know/friends/family etc. then maybe it'd work out.

But since that's not the case, and it's not a realistic option for either of you - You're simply prolonging the inevitable. So since you asked for a brutally honest answer, and you asked directly: End it now, before you become even further enraptured in this "idea of love" and end up with a severely broken heart in the end. You've enjoyed one another a few times up to this point, chalk it up to experience and some fantastic times - But think outside of yourself and consider the reality of the entire scenario. Sometimes (as difficult as it can be) it's better to be more logical in these situations, and less emotional.

Advertisement