Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

earthing ceiling grids

Options
  • 16-08-2009 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

just wondering do other sparkies here earth these grids.the non-exposed type used for most domestic hollowcore .i thought there was no requirement if cables are installed correctly under hollowcore(ie:not draped across grid).an engineer recently said i should be earthing them

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

just wondering do other sparkies here earth these grids
    This is a very interesting question, I have never thought about it before. In my experience they are never bonded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

metal studwork with cables fitted has to be earthed.so i would think if the non-exposed ceiling grid is coming into contact with cabling in the void it should be then be earthed.some sparkies seem to drape the wires on top of the grid .the chances of a live grid are much higher in this case

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

some sparkies seem to drape the wires on top of the grid
    In my opinion the ceiling grid is not designed to support cables in this manner. Cable tray should be used for this purpose and cable tray should be earthed. If something conductive is used as a cable support system then yes it should be earthed I would think.

In your original question you said that in your case the cables were "not draped across grid" and in this situation I have never seen the grid earthed.

we use swa cleats (the clam type ) for domestic.if i was using tray i would prob cross bond

A couple of issues i encountered lately with these grids in domestic work.
    MHRV flexible metal ducting ran from grid to grid downstairs and up to attic vents
    Foil backed slab screwed to metal grid and 12volt or double insulated metal spots inserted into foil backed slab.
    I'll prob run a 4sq around and earth them in future as a precaution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement