Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diamond back turtle locations plsss

Options
  • 16-08-2009 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi all, im looking to get a new turtle i had thoughts of getting a res but id love a diamond back turtle. Does anyone who where i can get one. There a beautiful turtle and would stand out more than a res or ybs turtle. Im located in cork, however i would travel a far bit to get one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

Hi there, terrapins were banned in Ireland, specifically the Diamond back - Malaclemys terrapin.

other freshwater turtle species which used to be sold as terrapins are now sold instead under the name turtle, and so remain legal as they lack the terrapin nomenclature. terrapin simply means little turtle.

Please be aware that res's, maps and yellow bellies can grow over 2 foot in shell diameter in females, and around 12 to 15 inches in males. they hate being handled and love to snap at fingers when in the water. If you choose to do this then you will need a 350 litre+ tank or indoor pond to house one adult male and female. If you do get them be sure to read up about their UV and vitamin needs as these are usually overlooked causing metabolic bone disease. I highly recommend buying a book on American pond turtles before any further consideration. If you've kept big messy fish and reptiles before then you will have a much better idea of what these guys entail. Either way best of luck, but I'm afraid Diamond backs arent gonna happen for ya. A good alternative is the mississippi Map turtle, they look a bit different from the sliders like diamond backs but grow big and fast! And they have nasty bites...trust me! The real name of these is Graptemys pseudogeographica kohnii.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

what, typical ,another downer for this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

I know it sucks, I had the good fortune to have had these since before the ban, but they are long since passed away. I would look at the maps man, they're pretty damn cool if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

map turts, i will thxs. :( i want a dbt

Advertisement