Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to not do Religion for the Leaving?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

My school does religion in 5th and 6th years, but not as an exam subject. One of my friends told me I could get out of it with parental permission.
    Does anyone know how to go about doing that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

This question has been on my mind aswell, it's wasting valuable time when I could be studing :(

I hope to God Darwin that my school will let me get out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Not sure about to be honest, I would think that perhaps some schools would have different views on this? Might be dependent on the school I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Obtain parental permission.
    Discuss the matter with the principal of your school.

But why? It's a good rest from examinable subjects, and who knows, you may, just may, actually learn something. The teen angst atheism/agnosticism thing can really cause people to miss out on interesting religion classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I got out of it, but i studied art as a spare subject, before dropping it, during the time I was supposed to have religion:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭I.J.

ALincoln wrote: »
    The teen angst atheism/agnosticism thing can really cause people to miss out on interesting religion classes.

I've been finished school a few years now but I would be amazed if Catholic schools still didnt force feed the "one true religion" bias garbage. I wanted to know something about the other 6000 religions world-wide, not the dominant fascist one. Even 1% of that total would have been a help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

To be honest I'd leave it. I mean you might say it now but there's now way you will end up studying during those classes. We all say it but it never happens.

Personally I quite enjoyed religion during those years. It was non exam and we didn't do work work, if you know what I mean. It was more read a bit from a book and then a big discussion. Very interesting and great craic too.

We had two classes a week and it is a welcome distraction and break from actual exam subjects. And my teacher was lovely!

I got out of it in 3rd year.

The easy way: parental permission.

The hard way (the way I did it): proclaim your atheism by means of a request for excommunication and refuse to enter the religion class. They stopped trying to persuade me to take part after three or so weeks. I actually rejoined it during sixth year, and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable classes: good debates and discussions always arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Well, when I was in school I got out of religion classes cause I was a different religion, and it was against the rules of this religion (actually it was more like a cult - but thats for another thread!!) were that we were not allowed to study other religions!!

So if your parents are willing to tell a little white lie, which will make them look like a pack of mad bastards by the way, maybe you could draw some ideas from my real-life experience!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

To be honest, I was glad of the break in 5th and 6th year of exam subjects to go into Religion. The teachers didn't teach Religion, we kinda just chatted about social subjects and had debates about them and such...

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

I tried to do that. I talked to my principal (a priest), but he started saying stuff like he would lose his job if he let me out of it.

It was more fun in the end though because religion class inevitably ends in a class that is more about dossing and chatting anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

But why? It's a good rest from examinable subjects, and who knows, you may, just may, actually learn something. The teen angst atheism/agnosticism thing can really cause people to miss out on interesting religion classes.

I don't want to waste my time in a class with a nun telling me I was going to hell. That happened me in 3rd year. Not something I want to repeat.

Given that I was 8 when I figured out god didn't exist, I'd hardly class that as teen angst.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

The thing is, in my school next year I will have to pay €15 towards religion classes for books and stuff, even though it's not an exam subject.

I didn't mind studing it for Junior Cert, even though I didn't believe in God because like you said, I did learn some interesting things about religions, but now going into fifth year, it'll just be a waste of time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I guess it's one of the perks of going to a religious-owned school.

Aoifums wrote: »
    I don't want to waste my time in a class with a nun telling me I was going to hell. That happened me in 3rd year. Not something I want to repeat.

Given that I was 8 when I figured out god didn't exist, I'd hardly class that as teen angst.

Congratulations on figuring out something that has eluded centuries of esteemed philosophers at such a young age.

Religious education is more diverse than you are construing it to be - it doesn't just consist of nuns and admonitions about hell. If it does, my advice is to reply constructively rather than just ducking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ok guys this is about how to not do a subject, not a discussion on what each of us thinks of religion

Religious education is more diverse than you are construing it to be - it doesn't just consist of nuns and admonitions about hell. If it does, my advice is to reply constructively rather than just ducking out.

Nice for pointing out the obvious.

It does in my school. I've had the fortune to do the subject for four years. Argueing back to any teachers lands you on the way to detention.

Sorry, double post

There is a significant difference between arguing back bluntly and replying constructively. The difference can be measured tangibly by examining whether or not your engagement with the topic landed you in detention.

If your school is as strict as you imply however, surely they won't consider excusing you from religion, rendering this thread fairly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Can you not just do your homework/study in religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hmm this is your school, its nothing to do with the department or the government or any of us. Your mum needs to talk to your principle to get you out of it. (Same way girls in my school had to for PE). Its that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Is your school strict on attendance?
    I had a religion class as well. That was the period I designated to running across to the shop, getting myself a mocachino, a copy of the times and relaxing.
    Awww, how I miss school.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I found Religion class a relaxing time away from the stress of other subjects in Leaving Cert. I didn't learn anything and most of the time we were allowed to chat or study ourselves.
    I don't see at all what the big deal is. If you're that sure that God doesn't exist, is it the fear that the teacher will change your mind or that you could be doing something better with your time that annoys you. Just suck it up, part of life is doing things you don't necessarily want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

Oh don't be so patronising. My Leaving cert religion class mainly consists of our teacher using Shock!Horror! techniques to convince us all that abortion/ euthanasia/ etc. were wrong under any circumstances, and if you disagreed you were a Bad Person.
    It was sickening. I got out of there as soon as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Your school mightnt let you even if you have permission from your parents, they should, but they dont have to.

If one student drops out, more may follow, and if the school is run by a religious order, there will be problems with that.

Tread carefully.

Oh don't be so patronising. My Leaving cert religion class mainly consists of our teacher using Shock!Horror! techniques to convince us all that abortion/ euthanasia/ etc. were wrong under any circumstances, and if you disagreed you were a Bad Person.
    It was sickening. I got out of there as soon as I could.

Rather patronising than just giving up. One way to fuel extremists like that is to allow them to believe that people who disagree with them cannot offer them a robust counterargument.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Rather patronising than just giving up. One way to fuel extremists like that is to allow them to believe that people who disagree with them cannot offer them a robust counterargument.

There's only so many times you can offer a brick wall of ignorance a counter-argument before you dismiss them as mentally incompetent. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Ailteoir

I just never went :P

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was kicked out of religion in the first week of 6th year, my teacher was a 78 year old nun. Back in the day, having 3 free classes a week to study was great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

I got out of religion because i'm church of ireland(however the religion you are does.nt really come into it)my reason to the teacher was that she was catholic and i was the only church of ireland pupil in her class and i said i would only do it if it was taught in a church of ireland way...she was going to put me in detention for being cheeky but i reminded her i was 18 and by law i could sue the school for imprisoning me.....

Advertisement