Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle parking on pavement?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Is it legal to park a motorcycle on the pavement, i.e. to lock it around the base of a street lamp or similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

otto h wrote: »
    Is it legal to park a motorcycle on the pavement, i.e. to lock it around the base of a street lamp or similar?
    It's illegal to park any vehicle on a footpath (with a few exceptions).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

once it does not obstruct the footpath - if it does you can get a ticket.

Best place to park is on the glass blocks outside buildings as these are technically the property of the building owner & you cannot get ticketed...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

technically, probably not.

...if you're in Dublin, they'll probably make a big deal about it.........if you're anywhere else, probably not.........if you don't block the path, or interfere with passing people, you should be ok.

Sorry to not be more definitive....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Bluefoam wrote: »
    once it does not obstruct the footpath - if it does you can get a ticket
    It's illegal regardless of whether it obstructs pedestrians or not. Getting a ticket is a different matter and at the discretion of the Gardai/Parking Warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

go to the mag ireland site the have some good info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 otto h

You got a URL for that? I can find MAG Ireland, but not anything on pavement parking. Thanks.

Here's the official version from SI 182/1997 if it's any good to you.
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked

( a ) on that side of a section of roadway along the edge of which traffic sign number RRM 008 [double yellow lines] has been provided;

( b ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 019 [No Parking sign] has been provided, during the period indicated on the information plate accompanying such traffic sign;

( c ) within 5 metres of a road junction;

( d ) on a section of roadway with less than 3 traffic lanes and where traffic sign number RRM 001 [continuous white line] has been provided;

( e ) on a section of roadway where traffic sign number RUS 020, in association with RRM 029 [appointed stand], has been placed to indicate that an appointed stand has been provided;

( f ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing, delaying or interfering with the entrance to or exit from a fire brigade station, an ambulance station or a Garda station;

( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

( h ) within 15 metres (on the approach side) or 5 metres (on the side other than the approach side) of a section of roadway where any of the following traffic signs have been provided—

(i) traffic sign number RPC 001 [Pedestrian Crossing];

(ii) traffic sign number RPC 002 [Pedestrian Crossing Complex]; or

(iii) traffic sign numbers RTS 00I, RTS 002, RTS 003 or RTS 004 [traffic lights];

( i ) on a footway, a grass margin or a median strip;

( j ) on a part of a roadway which is a casual trading area, during hours of trading, unless the vehicle is for the time being in use for the purposes of casual trading;

( k ) in a manner in which it will interfere with the normal flow of traffic or which obstructs or endangers other traffic;

( l ) where traffic sign RUS 031 [bus stop] or RRM 030 [stopping place or stand] has been provided unless the vehicle is an omnibus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Since its illegal to park a motorbike anywhere in dublin, I always park on the footpath and lock it to somthing, just dont block it.
    I dont know of any designated parking areas for bikes ...could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

otto h wrote: »
    You got a URL for that? I can find MAG Ireland, but not anything on pavement parking. Thanks.
    MAG is the biggest waste of biker money ever. They do shag all. And yes I do know reps or whatever ya wanna call them. MAG . Lol im sorry
    but I wouldnt bet on them doing anything.

Advertisement