Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

03 OCTAVIA 1.4 petrol Timing belt

Options
  • 16-08-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

My 03 OCTAVIA 1.4 Petrol is just over 60k miles at the moment. And I have been enquiring about the price to replace timing belt... it is varying from 200EUR to 550EUR. The skoda dealer seems to be charging the highest. But I have also learned that the SKODA dealer might change the entire kit rather than just the belt?

Could some body suggest me... what would be the best option to go for? As it is timing belt I want to get it done properly and want to have peace of mind. If it is any other issues / service, by default I go to my mechanic down the road and he is reasonable does a good job.

Would Highly appreciate any suggestions on this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ikon wrote: »
    Hi,

My 03 OCTAVIA 1.4 Petrol is just over 60k miles at the moment. And I have been enquiring about the price to replace timing belt... it is varying from 200EUR to 550EUR. The skoda dealer seems to be charging the highest. But I have also learned that the SKODA dealer might change the entire kit rather than just the belt?

Could some body suggest me... what would be the best option to go for? As it is timing belt I want to get it done properly and want to have peace of mind. If it is any other issues / service, by default I go to my mechanic down the road and he is reasonable does a good job.

Would Highly appreciate any suggestions on this.

Thanks.

The rule of thumb is that you change the waterpump when you change the timing belt. If you only get the belt changed and not the waterpump you could easily have bigger problems down the line. Also the belt tensioners should be changed. I would advise not skimping on any of this unless you want a much bigger bill down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

get the whole kit replaced and water pump! ive seen plastic pulleys break up on these:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ikon

Thanks for the reply. Going to the dealer seems to be the safer option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Shop around different dealers. Is the €550 just for the belt kit fitted? Thats a ridiculous price. I got mine done with a service at a main dealers for less than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

i have recently bought a 99 model octavia, 1.6 engine. if i was you i'd also get them to change the fan belt as it often runs the air con too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

i have to get mine done and priced it for a pug 407 down here 650 for the kit up north 300 pound. guess were im booked in next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

OP did you get it down and how much did it cost you ? What miles on the car when you got it done ? Am buying an 06 1.4 petrol for my wife today with 94klms on clock belt hasn't yet been done so was wondering what the official interval is for it ? Would have thought 60k miles. My mechanic has quoted max 300-350 including water pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,987 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Family member had hers done last year on her '03 1.4 Octavia (35k miles). €450 for the full kit including waterpump at a main Dublin Skoda dealer. She gladly paid about €100 more for the peace of mind of the dealer compared to what a back street garage / mechanic would want for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The vag 1.4 engine is straight forward. You'd be looking at no more then €250-€280 for timing belt kit(Main belt and secondary belt, tensioner, idler pully) and water pump fitted.

The intervals for these belts is 4 years or 60k miles/100k kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

just wondering how you can tell when the timing belt and water pump have been last changed, i recently bought an 02 1.6 octavia privately off a guy who buys cars and sells them on, i got my fathers friend who is a mechanic (and happened to be friends with the guy selling it aswell) to come check it out with me and he gave it a good looking over and said it was fine but i'd just like to know when it needs to be done, car is spotless and nct'd till 01/12 but has 140000 miles on it with no service history

• Advertisement

The vag 1.4 engine is straight forward. You'd be looking at no more then €250-€280 for timing belt kit(Main belt and secondary belt, tensioner, idler pully) and water pump fitted.

A VW dealer in Cork City have signs all over their windows for t belt changes on petrol and diesel models, iirc they are all under €300. €550 is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The intervals for these belts is 4 years or 60k miles/100k kms.

Yep you would but the kit for 100 euro ish and throw it in within a few hours..

ormondprop wrote: »
    just wondering how you can tell when the timing belt and water pump have been last changed, i recently bought an 02 1.6 octavia privately off a guy who buys cars and sells them on, i got my fathers friend who is a mechanic (and happened to be friends with the guy selling it aswell) to come check it out with me and he gave it a good looking over and said it was fine but i'd just like to know when it needs to be done, car is spotless and nct'd till 01/12 but has 140000 miles on it with no service history

There would be no real way of telling if there is no service history and no stickers etc under the bonnet. With that milage it should have been done twice by now. Given the importance of the timing belt, I'd recommend getting it done so you are sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There would be no real way of telling if there is no service history and no stickers etc under the bonnet. With that milage it should have been done twice by now. Given the importance of the timing belt, I'd recommend getting it done so you are sure..
    +1, if you don't know then it's due now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

thanks, i was thinking of getting it serviced anyway when i get a chance so i'll get them to have a look and see what he reckons

what would be a reasonable price for an ordinary service and for a service+timing belt and water pump, i was thinking i might just get it done in a main dealer now so i know everything is done right with original parts and after that just go for cheaper services with private mechanics, or would i be better off buying the kit myself for as cheap as i can and getting a private mechanic to fit it

There is no specific reason to have it done in a main dealer. Good quality spurious kits are exactly the same quality as manufacturer branded parts.

We'd be charging in the region of €400-450 maximum for a full service and inspection, timing belt kit and water pump fitted.

Advertisement