Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Nursing PAS Test!?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi

Just wondering if someone can tell me about these tests. Are they difficult? I'm a little worried about the maths element as that is most def not my strongest subject - especially as it was 9 years ago when I last studied it :(

Is it right that a score is collated from the right answers given and that you have to meet the minimum score target set to be offered an interview?

I studied in the UK and so the whole mature education system is a little alien to me.

Any advice much appreciated.
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tonywanda

Hey I took those exams a few months ago. The only advise I would give is to practice with the recommended reading material in the Nursing Booklet, and keep practicing!

Considering the points you'll want to get-- there was a gigantic points increase (at least in my view) from the course I picked this year, went up by 31 points!! But I still got enough points to get into any nursing program in the country, so I was very humbled by the experience.

As far as the points total it's slightly irrelevant considering the marking scheme, as you'll be given what you get.

You don't find out your points score until after the interview, you will get a letter saying whether you passed, and whether or not you have been forwarded for an interview, but you won't find out the points until a few weeks after the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 booshboo

Hey Tony

Thanks for your reply.

I'm actually in my first year in the UK so I am hoping that will hold some weight! :)

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Curlz

Hey I took those exams a few months ago. The only advise I would give is to practice with the recommended reading material in the Nursing Booklet, and keep practicing!

Hi - Where do you get the Nursing Booklet from? Is it once you apply through CAO as a mature student that they send you out more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 misschatty

Hi i too did test and interview this year, but didnt get an offer so will apply again. once you apply to the cao the ncc nursing careers centre will send you out an info booklet, but if you want to get a head start if you go on to their website ncc.ie you can download the test familiarisation booklet and if you want the interview prep stuff to give you feel of it.
    the test info is ok but not many examples esp for the numerical section so best advice would be track down good book and get practising.
    To be honest i did feel really nervous at both stages but the actual process was fine. Just speed is very important in test.
    Even though i didnt get an offer and i was gutted am going to do pre nursing this year and apply through cao and fetac and will keep trying till i get there. I am aware it could take time as with points goinh up and places going down and with such demand competition will be hight. All you can do is your best and hope luck is on your side!!!:):):):)

Hi thanks for your thread :)- got all that info on the site just there so will have a read through. i would be more worried about the numerical section, I wouldn’t consider myself bad at manths I just know it would be the weaker area. If you don’t mind me asking how many points did you get? Were you far off the points needed? I don’t know what I'll do if I don’t get in next year. I would be absolutley gutted at the thought of having gone through the whole process and not be succesful. Sorry I don’t mean to rub salt in the wound, I admire your determination! Fair play to you! Was it in Dublin you applied? Did you get any experience or course work the first time you applied?

• Advertisement

I have to say I am surprised at how complicated the mature nursing application system is! It seems so unfair, almost like a lottery!

As I mentioned - I am in my 1st year in the UK, and we def have it easier - get a bursary, easier application process, three years' not 4. My family situation means we have to move back to Ireland earlier than we first planned. But if anyone one on here is in the situation to allow it, then you should look into studying in the UK!

:P

Hi booshboo
    I did look into it alright and a few people had suggested it. I was weighing it up as in if I stay here I can live at home rent free/close to city centre/general cost of living is reduced as I am not paying for bills/food. In the UK if I was to study I would need to support myself with a part time job that wouldn’t cover rent/day to day living and my studies might suffer. Granted I don’t have to pay 'tuition fees' (which I will do here as I already have a degree) but I think after looking into it it's pretty much the same. I definitly agree that they are a lot more accomadating as I spoke to a few colleges and they were very helpful. How are you finding doing the course in the UK, where are you studying, how are managing work/study?? I'm still open to the option but any feedback you have would be great! :)

In saying all that, the papers today don’t hold out much hope as the government tell the HSE to prepare for up to €800million in spending cuts next year! :mad::eek::mad:

I guess if you get to live rent and bill free all is good :D Won't have that luxury myself though.

I live with my partner so we have at least one full time wage coming in. There are plenty of people on the course without someone to help though. The basic bursary element outside of London works out at £535 per month, when not on placement you are in Uni 3 days a week (where I study) so if you were to work as a HCA at the hospital you could top your earnings quite nicely without it interfering too much. Most hospitals offer accomodation also, at a reduced rate. This is for single people and it is like living in Uni dorms but a good place to start for a lot of people.

If you have dependants - children or a partner/spouse you can apply for extra bursary elements:

Dependants allowance
    Parental learning allowance
    Childcare allowance

Plus there are other benefits for disabled students.

You also get a one off payment of £50 for books.

My Uni pays for a coach to take you from your base site to where the lectures are held.

If when on placement you have to pay extra for travel you can claim these expenses back.

Plus there are learning funds etc. from the unis.

I have to say I find all this a great help and am a little worried about transfering over to the Irish system of things but hey ho, no choice.

I have to say the first year has gone incredibly quickly! So three years would fly. I see why it would be easier to stay at home though. Leaving your friends also would be a bummer. However - no fees to pay back and you'd of earnt a whole years wage in the UK, before even qualifying in Ireland!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 26 misschatty

Curlz wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your thread :)- got all that info on the site just there so will have a read through. i would be more worried about the numerical section, I wouldn’t consider myself bad at manths I just know it would be the weaker area. If you don’t mind me asking how many points did you get? Were you far off the points needed? I don’t know what I'll do if I don’t get in next year. I would be absolutley gutted at the thought of having gone through the whole process and not be succesful. Sorry I don’t mean to rub salt in the wound, I admire your determination! Fair play to you! Was it in Dublin you applied? Did you get any experience or course work the first time you applied?

No i was gutted! when first round of offers came out, bit more prepared second round when didnt get offer but i did always have a back up plan and now am fine wit it. Yes it was dublin i did test and interview and applied to ucd as first choice and few others too. I was 4!! points short but with this whole random number stuff might as well have been ten million away!! was really big competition with places getting cut and so many applying this year. Didnt get any course work or things like that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ELISHA82

Hi Booshboo

Just wanted to give you any advice that I can, as I went through the whole process this year and I know how you feel, got offered a place in General Nursing in Letterkenny which was my first choice so well pleased as I never thought I;d get in, I got 177 points in the apptitude test, this score determines if you get a place in college the interview is just a pass or a fail.

On the maths test I just bought numerical reasoning books and studied them every day just to get a feel for the type of questions i'd be asked, on the verbal one I did the same just study study study as much as you can you want to become as quick as you can at these tests because you don't get much time and it flys in.

With the interview start thinking about examples of the 5 key skill areas that you have done in your life, I started this early on, I wrote them all out and read over them every day practising what I would say to the interviewers, have back up answers as well as they may ask you for them, Your year in the Uk will def stand for you in the interview & as long as you can come up with examples for the 5 areas youl be fine, the interview was not as bad as I expected and this is wat I worried about the most, they were really nice, I know people that thought they did terrible in it and they passed it so try not and stress to much about it prepare well and you'l be fine.

Don't know if thats any help to you or not but I wish you the best of luck.

Elisha x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

Hi booshboo,

I did this test few years ago, unfortunately i didn't pass the verbal one, because English isn't my native language, I did stuck on that part, (i mean the verbal part), the test it self is a bit complicated, special the maths one. But if you'll keep practice, you'll get trough it. Friend of mine she is Irish - like you:), she told me that success on this test is the speed! And don't be worry about maths they don't expect you to finish all the part. Also it will be really handy for you if could get some work experience in the hospital or nursing home, that's would give you a good credit. I'm very good on maths it's like my hobby, but not to fluent in English and that's why English stood on my way. I'm thinking for applying either next year or after next year. I have some few good books, if you interesting in I can give you the name. Anyway I wish you best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 greengal

The secret to scoring well in this test (verbal and numerical) is to answer every question. There are no wrong answers and points are not deducted for 'incorrect' answers. So time yourself and about 3/4 minutes before the end of each section just mark random answers.;) Chances are you will get some right. Those few marks you gain could mean the difference between getting your place or not. You have nothing to lose anyway and hey it worked 4 me.:D Starting my degree next week.

greengal wrote: »
    The secret to scoring well in this test (verbal and numerical) is to answer every question. There are no wrong answers and points are not deducted for 'incorrect' answers. So time yourself and about 3/4 minutes before the end of each section just mark random answers.;) Chances are you will get some right. Those few marks you gain could mean the difference between getting your place or not. You have nothing to lose anyway and hey it worked 4 me.:D Starting my degree next week.

Greengal,

Congrats! Best of luck for you in your study!
    I wanted to ask you, if you don't mind:), when you went for the test, did you finish all the numeracy parts? I thought that is impossible to finish all maths, the time is extremely limited...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 greengal

Are you mad:eek::eek:
    IMPOSSIBLE..but I did give an answer for each question. Have you looked at sample tests?? Answers are multiple choice as in a,b,c,d.....so if you have 5 possible answers and you make a guess you have a one in five chance of getting it right..
    Also the tests are marked by a computer..You do not write an answer just tick a box(kinda like a lotto slip), even for the personal questions, so no-one is gonna go through your test.

greengal wrote: »
    Are you mad:eek::eek:
    IMPOSSIBLE..but I did give an answer for each question. Have you looked at sample tests?? Answers are multiple choice as in a,b,c,d.....so if you have 5 possible answers and you make a guess you have a one in five chance of getting it right..
    Also the tests are marked by a computer..You do not write an answer just tick a box(kinda like a lotto slip), even for the personal questions, so no-one is gonna go through your test.

No I'm not mad:), thanks anyway! I know it's impossible to finish numerical test, they did that way, just to stress people brain:rolleyes:, and see how you going to cop with it... You are right, it's like a lottery.

Advertisement