Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman

Options
  • 16-08-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

New to boards.ie

hoping that this post complies with all the etiquette....rather than reytpe entire incident, I copy a letter sent to Harvey norman, Waterford with a cc to Head office. I received no reply from either. I have omitted the manager's name.....

Seems clear to me that staff are ripping one another off.....

Dear.......

I wish to bring to your attention an incident I encountered in the Computer section of the Harvey Norman Store, Waterford, yesterday afternoon, Thursday, May 21 at approximately 2.15pm
    On entering the store I was looking for a particular item, and being unable to locate it, I asked a lady staff member for help. She was most helpful, and in fact suggested an alternative item might suit better; so much so, that I decided to purchase both items. I mentioned to her that I'd like to leave both items at the checkout for a few minutes while I browsed the store.
    When I returned to pay for both items, the sale was in fact completed by a male staff member. The lady who had assisted me requested that she would like him to use her staff number to record the sale, but he replied that his number had already gone through. Surely it is possible to cancel an input in order to review the details prior to completing the sale? However, I fear this gentleman was not interested in doing so. I was surprised by his seemingly curt dismissal of a request from a fellow staff member.
    I said nothing, but I sense that the gentleman noted my uneasiness. Almost immediately he said to me “Let's see if we can do you a better deal here.”... And he charged me €55.00 rather than €69.90 that I was expecting to pay. I must admit that it seemed quite strange, albeit to my advantage.
    If there is a system in place where staff productivity is related in some way to recorded sales, then this gentleman has acted in an unethical manner. However, more to the point, it is glaringly obvious to me that this small incident has highlighted a staff problem that you may be interested in addressing.
    I have the sales receipt available should you need verification.
    Yours Faithfully,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

First of all, Don't put Faithfully at the end of a letter or complaint. It's meant for love letters...

Secondly, I'm in sales and I have seen stuff like this occur from time to time but not to this extreme. People robbing sales happen but when caught don't undermine them by offering a better deal. There is a reason why Harvey Normans are going bust and you pointed out one of many.

I wouldn't be bothered waiting on a reply, just don't buy there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    First of all, Don't put Faithfully at the end of a letter or complaint. It's meant for love letters...

Secondly, I'm in sales and I have seen stuff like this occur from time to time but not to this extreme. People robbing sales happen but when caught don't undermine them by offering a better deal. There is a reason why Harvey Normans are going bust and you pointed out one of many.

I wouldn't be bothered waiting on a reply, just don't buy there again.

Since when?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

By putting the girls staff number on the sale it gives her the credit for doing the sale along with any comission due. Ultimately, it could be a case that the cashiers sales figures are up when he didnt do anything, she did!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 contador2009

Gosh, I must be losing it....never heard of such.....maybe I don't write enough love letters!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

What does faithful mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

What does faithful mean?

If you want to go off topic at least do it with an argument you have a chance of winning. Yours faithfully is a standard way of closing a business letter.

http://www.speakspeak.com/html/d2h_resources_letter_writing_phrases.htm and if you google business letter closure faithfully you'll find many more examples like http://www.dailywritingtips.com/yours-faithfully-or-yours-sincerely/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

Wait a minute!
    You went into Harvey Norman, got good service, a fair price (I always do) and a final reduction.
    You don't like the way the staff interacts and therefore complain, write a letter and will never shop there again?
    Whenever I go there I don't give a monkey's what the staff are up to. If they're conducting trench warfare, what problem of mine is it?
    I always got a decent deal, whenever I shop around the always seem to have the best price.
    I got a 42 inch LG LCD telly there for E380, I still haven't seen one cheaper.
    If you really are that disgusted, why don't you bring the items back and get a refund?
    That's never been a problem for me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Harvey Normans new slogan is, Can you hagle with our staff (or summin).
    I wouldn't worry about the ethics of it, you got a good deal. Competition in the workplace will always exist.

Advertisement