Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To late?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Well yeah,
    Basically I was going to go photography in DIT but missed the deadline this year,After thinking about it there is going to be no work in photography for the next few years and any that there is will probably be taken by graduates from college this year etc..

So I have a problem,I've got Comp science in Cork on my CAO and if it stays near the same as last year I'll get in,But is there any point?I've got no accommodation no grants or anything sorted so it seems I'd be screwed for this year..

Has anyone done this before?Did it work out?

Also my plans for this year were to go to London and get work experience with photographers and build up a folio but after reading into it,What I was planning to do(take photos) and what I would actually do(carry and help set up stuff) are totally different,As I feel I'm quite good at photography something like that would drive me mad..

So I either
    A)Choose photography have a year of doing small amounts of work with photographers and then do a 4 year degree In a job that isn't exactly guaranteed

or
    B)Try and get stuff sorted for UCC this year(If I get in) and do something I'd be happy in and also come out the other end with a much more wanted degree

Also I feel I'm equally good at both,And equally enjoy both

Can anyone help?Any other suggestions welcome! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Well, what would you be more comfortable and happy doing? I get the feeling you're more edged towards photography. There's no point of doing a course when your heart is set on something else.

Go for photography, England isn't in half the recession we're in so it will be easier to get experience and that. You can always start a degree next year in Comp Science or apply for Photography in DIT again.

Saying that, you never know what Batt O'Keefe will pull out of his sleeve in the next budget. Fees might be rintroduced this time next year for incoming college students so starting college now might be a good option also.

You're the only one who can make the choice about what you want to do so choose wisely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Well, what would you be more comfortable and happy doing? I get the feeling you're more edged towards photography. There's no point of doing a course when your heart is set on something else.

Go for photography, England isn't in half the recession we're in so it will be easier to get experience and that. You can always start a degree next year in Comp Science or apply for Photography in DIT again.

Saying that, you never know what Batt O'Keefe will pull out of his sleeve in the next budget. Fees might be rintroduced this time next year for incoming college students so starting college now might be a good option also.

You're the only one who can make the choice about what you want to do so choose wisely!

I don't know I'm beginning to talk myself out of photography,I've always loved computers and was fixed on doing comp science before I even considered photography,Hence comp science is the only thing on my CAO,As I felt it was all I wanted to do,And when I was looking for other courses,I saw photography since then I've been set on photography but now I'd rather comp science again,Jobs pay,And depending on what I'd chose in photography,Chances are I'd be more out and about with a job in comp Science(my Dad for example works all over London and I'd love that!) I can always move into photography after,But at alot of photographers say a degree means very little compared to a portfolio of work,And I don't think I'm up to scratch in photography at the moment,And if I never do reach a good level of quality I'm screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Well, in a few years when this doom and gloom is over, the country will hopefully be rebuilding jobs in the computers and science industries so there would be a more significant chance of you getting a good job in the industry with your degree.

You could always take up photography as a hobby. I know someone who has a full time job and in his free time takes these amazing scenery photographs. He does very well and there is a big demand for his photographs.

Hope you get on well with whatever you choose!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Saul-Good

Ya you can always just have it as a hobby to start with. Use your free time in college to build up your experience with it and slowly work on a portfolio. Work on your practical job opportunities now so once you've finished the comp course and found work you'll be more free to pursue photography, from what you said you'd be happy with both, this way you aren't limiting your opportunities.

Good luck, I hope you'll be happy with what you choose either way.:D

Advertisement