Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companion for a rabbit?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

We have a lovely 6 month old, male lop-eared bunny who we're keeping as an indoor house pet. I used to work mornings and my partner evenings so he's used to being on his own for only about 2 hours a day. Our working hours will be changing in the near future and he'll have to be alone for a bit longer every day so we were thinking about getting him some company.

We were thinking about just getting another rabbit but we've always wanted a cat. I don't think we have the room for 2 bunnies and a cat so I was wondering if anyone knows, would a cat be a good companion for a rabbit? We'd be getting a kitten so that the rabbit could show it who's boss from a young age and the kitten would grow up used to having a rabbit running around the place and know it's not for eating.

So, basically my question is, would they be compatible? Would a kitten satisfy the bunny's need for company or would he find it annoying, or even be scared of it? What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

it might work but would you really risk it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

What's the risk? I don't see how either could hurt each other. I'm just wondering if they'd see each other as good company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hmm... I honestly don't know.
    I know we had a bunny and then we got a dog and the bunny was so so mean to her, used to bite her and chase her round the garden (scared her). So we had to get rid of the bunny. It started to bite us too.

Would your bunny be playful enough though? Kittens love playing and love to run around and stalk and pounce, do you think your bunny would be ok with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

My two cats chased and clawed my rabbit when I let her out to graze and play, no real damage but if they got a hold of her properly I'd say we'd need a trip to the vet :)

**When they were older of course. We didn't let the cats near her when they were small in case they got a kick in the head or a bite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

I looked at getting a house bunny to add to my household, back when I only had a couple of cats and was confident they wouldn't hurt one (they're good with other small animals, like ferrets)

The reason I didn't in the end, is that I heard about the risk of abcesses for rabbits if they're scratched by a cat, even in play, due to the amount of germs on a cat's claws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

well, I have 3 cats and a rabbit. However, I had all the cats before I got the rabbit and I got the rabbit when it was 3-4 months old. The kitten I had would sit on top of him and play fight, gently bitting at his ears (not enough to break the skin though), the two adult cats were scared of him. He's very bossy now, love cuddles, but he will chase our cats and try to nip at them now and again. The kitten (well, she's one now) and the rabbit do like to chase eachother sometimes.

I think if you were to introduce a kitten to a older rabbit, it would be the kitten you'd have to worry about more :P I would advise though spaying or neutering your rabbit before introducing another pet, as they can be very territorial before they're fixed. I found after I fixed my male rabbit he stopped spraying the cat's stuff and was much less aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No a cat is certainly not a suitable companion for a rabbit! I don't care how well they appear to get on or wether they grow up with each other cats are cats and can be buddies with a smallie for years and instinct can take over.

I'm a big fan of cats and rabbits equally but would never risk the two especially unsupervised. That would be very irresponsible.

Aside from that a rabbit is a rabbit they need another rabbit for company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

No a cat is certainly not a suitable companion for a rabbit! I don't care how well they appear to get on or wether they grow up with each other cats are cats and can be buddies with a smallie for years and instinct can take over.

I'm a big fan of cats and rabbits equally but would never risk the two especially unsupervised. That would be very irresponsible.

Aside from that a rabbit is a rabbit they need another rabbit for company.

I have to say I agree and I wouldnt risk it.....Cats being Cats use there claws when playing Rabbits use there teeth....one could end up getting hurt or worse, who would be to blame then certanily not the cat or the rabbit but the humans.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭tara666

hey u could get another bunny but get them snipped so they shouldnt fight but dont put 2 males together ....good luck :)

Thanks for the advise guys. I think I'm going to foster a kitten through my local vet and see how it goes, I've fostered with them before but not since we got the bunny. If it doesn't look like it'll work out I'll just get him a little girlfriend. (desexed of course) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If it doesn't work out? How much are you willing to risk the rabbit being stressed out before you deceide it won't work out. At first the rabbit could bully the kitten or even get on ok but over time the cat will mature and cannot be left unsupervised with a rabbit under any circumstances.

[a cat] cannot be left unsupervised with a rabbit under any circumstances.

Of course not. He isn't even left out unsupervised as it is. He goes into his hutch when we're not there. And he's a very brave bunny, he's stayed in the cattery I work in a few times when we've gone away for a few days and I've seen his reaction to cats (through cage doors of course). He's just curious and wants to sniff them, no signs of fear at all.

I love my bunny and would never put him in any situation I thought would be dangerous for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cmccarra

Our rabbit was getting kind of lonely too so we put a vietnamese minature pot belly piglet in with her, seemed to work...maybe when the pig gets a bit bigger it might'nt work out so well..then we'll see how it handles the pups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Cats are not good with rabbits but I had a lop eared rabbit years ago and my minature jack russell loved it so much it would snuggle it for heat al day. They shared a run and eevrything and lived in harmony.

Advertisement