Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what was this?

Options
  • 16-08-2009 12:38am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭

I just saw what i first thought was a star in a very, very beautiful clear sky full of stars (that's what led my eye upward in the first place). This object looked to have the same light intensity as any other star, with a similarly huge distance and size. However, it was moving at what must have been breakneck speed (given the distance), across the sky from south to north, almost exactly along that axis. My second impression was it was a shooting star, however this, too, was quickly discounted, given that it went across a very wide arc for a much longer space of time. I've now no idea what it could have been (no flashing warning light of a plane) - did or can anyone else see it / explain it? :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Could it have been the ISS?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 musicmaster

Wow sounds cool, I've got a thing at home which scans the skies and I can see any objects / planets at any given time and it'll tell me what it was...you said it was going south to north?

what time was it at (say give or take 10mins)

and where are ya located at and I'll run it through!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I'll need a bit more info. Where abouts are you based?

To be honest, you probably saw an orbiting satellite. There are hundreds up there, and in all my observing sessions, I've seen loads of exactly what you describe going in all directions in the sky.

If you go out on a clear night for at least an hour, I guarantee you'll see another satellite going over head.

I've even seen them passing through the eyepiece when I'm observing. Plenty of times.

I think it may have been "Metop-A"

Rose above at approximately 11:42 in Dublin and descended at about 11:52...came from the south east and went down over the north west...thats the only thing showing up for me here but hey, it's anyones guess!

Just tryna help so maybe that might help>!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭JacquesD'Ladd

I think it may have been "Metop-A"

Rose above at approximately 11:42 in Dublin and descended at about 11:52...came from the south east and went down over the north west...thats the only thing showing up for me here but hey, it's anyones guess!

Just tryna help so maybe that might help>!

I'm in Meath and I saw it just before 12 midnight, so that would seem to concur exactly with the timing of Metop-A. Wow, what a lucky chance sighting! Thanks very much musicmaster and all others for your help. I recommend you taking a telescope to this part of the country (meath or westmeath). The skies on some nights can be really clear: one of the first things i noticed about the place when i first moved back from the big smoke!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭JacquesD'Ladd

Silverfish wrote: »
    I don't think so - I did a check on that and apparently it is currently over Moscow.

No Problem!!!:D:D:D

Glad I could help you out!!!

Oh and by the way,

I checked to see anything upcoming aswell and saw that there'll be another one on Monday night, from between 11:42pm and 11:53pm (same time!) except it should be just a little bit higher! coming from the same direction though! - And its called "Fengyun 3A"...If you want to have a look out for that one then do!!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'm not a regular stargazer but I have been looking upwards this week. I've seen a number of satelites travelling from south to north. On thursday night one of these increased in brightness, for a few seconds, from a faint pinpoint to one of the brightest things in the sky. This happened almost directly overhead. I didn't have a watch but guess the time as arround 11pm.
    I wonder was it a satelite firing booster rockets or was it a collision. Satelite reduced to normal brightness and continued on same path.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Silverfish wrote: »
    The ISS isn't currently orbiting over Ireland, but it will be in a few days. :)
    2 stroke wrote: »
    I'm not a regular stargazer but I have been looking upwards this week. I've seen a number of satelites travelling from south to north. On thursday night one of these increased in brightness, for a few seconds, from a faint pinpoint to one of the brightest things in the sky. This happened almost directly overhead. I didn't have a watch but guess the time as arround 11pm.
    I wonder was it a satelite firing booster rockets or was it a collision. Satelite reduced to normal brightness and continued on same path.
    What you probably saw was an Iridium Flare. Iridium satellites (which provide world-wide satellite phone service) have flat, reflective attenae. When they hit the perfect angle between the sunlight reflecting off the attenae and your position they appear to light up very bright, and as they move away they go back to their normal brightness (not very bright).

OP probably saw another one of the 1000's of satellites, functioning or not functioning, in the sky. :)

To see times for satellite passes, including the ISS or even Iridium flares, go to www.heavens-above.com and enter your co-ordinates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement