Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest video ever

Options
  • 15-08-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭

I made some piss take post in AH but it got me to thinking..

isn't this a bit fcuked up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbhhqs3uuTU

it freaked me out.

I dunno what to despise more, the church or the poor deluded fools that listen to them

Loads of Irish people pay big money to visit Medjugorje every year

Why does the church pray on the vulnerable like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Why does the church pray on the vulnerable like this?

The cynic in me says it's because it makes them a lot of money & gives power and influence...the less cynical side says it's because they genuinely believe it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've been to Medjugorje and witnessed a lot of joy and wonder out there. I thought the 'miracles' were a sham, and it may be the Las Vegas of the pilgrimage tour, but a lot of sick, handicapped or just honest people value it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Call me insensitive if you feel like it.

What get's me is how some communities have charity fundraisers to send people who have terminal illness out to Medjugorje or Lourdes each year. I'm sorry, I just cannot support those and end up getting gash looks when I ask whether it is for actual research or a pilgrimage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I had an apparition just now, 'twas Sigmeund Freud... something about childish delusions.... didn't catch it all, I was too busy actually dealing with my real-life problems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yer wan mentions doing tests with scientists who concluded she was seeing something. I wonder where those scientific conclusions are printed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Its a magical place for some but I cant help thinking of the ill who would be better staying at home and getting treatment rather than going on a long trip. Tis a dodgy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

As far I as I know, the church hasn't approved of the Medjugorje visions yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

mewso wrote: »
    Yer wan mentions doing tests with scientists who concluded she was seeing something. I wonder where those scientific conclusions are printed.

probably printed in conservapedia. this makesme sick. i need money for a new guitar, so i'm going to have an apparition too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

branie wrote: »
    As far I as I know, the church hasn't approved of the Medjugorje visions yet.

Was there not a to-do involving a priest from the Medjugorje and his claims of visions & the Vatican? That & his sexual relations with a nun...

FrTomislav

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

eoin5 wrote: »
    Its a magical place for some but I cant help thinking of the ill who would be better staying at home and getting treatment rather than going on a long trip. Tis a dodgy one.

Bit like Disney land TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How can it be magical for some.. the church is actively enticing those with illnesses and probably no hope to visit that kip, knowing full well that miracles don't save any of them. Some people visit these places rather than pay for medical treatment

It's disgusting imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I may have been drunk when I posted that, so maybe an over-exaggeration to say it's the scariest ever =p

But it is scary imo, can you say it isn't?

edit//

I done some research into the bint in the video. I expected her to be someone dying of cancer or something.

Turns out she's a professional 'Visionary' - http://www.medjugorje.org.uk/biographies/Visionaries.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Some one staring up at the ceiling. Am i missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

If it works for people and its not preventing them from seeking medical attention where's the problem :rolleyes:

If it works for people and its not preventing them from seeking medical attention where's the problem :rolleyes:

People choose to visit it instead of having treatment, or postpone treatment. The Vatican denounced it years ago - http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/5361487/Time_runs_out_for_Medjugorje/

and yet churches all over Ireland organise pilgrimages to it.

The fact that they're making money from desperate people is the problem I have with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

People choose to visit it instead of having treatment, or postpone treatment.
    There's nothing in that article which states that.

Now I'm willing to accept the odd individual here or there may do so, but that's hardly indicative of the group as a whole.

Now you or I might see them as misguided but unless they're explicitly going against medical advise its a non-issue.

Advertisement