Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else feel.....

Options
  • 15-08-2009 10:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

like they could have done so much better in the L.C if they had really pushed themselves?

I can't help but think i would have got at least 540 points had i went flat out for 2 years.

I suppose it's no big deal as i'll prob get my 1st choice but it just got me thinking.

This could well be something i regret not doing, in years to come when i look back.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 fearanpost

I coulda done class 2 if i put the head down for the 2 years but i had some mad craic at school and i got my 1st choice so i dont regret it at all to be honest!! what did you get in the leavin??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I didn't do a tap 6th year and I got 220 points, so I'm obviously gonna be motivated this year when I repeat. That won't happen again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

fearanpost wrote: »
    I coulda done class 2 if i put the head down for the 2 years but i had some mad craic at school and i got my 1st choice so i dont regret it at all to be honest!! what did you get in the leavin??

I just went steady with it. Always done my homework and studied for exams. Can't help but think if i was a mad study head what i would have got. 485 btw.

ah ya done class!! i wouldnt regret that anyways! i got 455, i coulda probly hit the 500s no prob but sure who cares if ya got your 1st choice!! ya wont regret it id say, people will just be lookin at the degree ya got in a few years, no1 will be wonderin how ya got on in the leavin!!

ah ya done class!! i wouldnt regret that anyways! i got 455, i coulda probly hit the 500s no prob but sure who cares if ya got your 1st choice!! ya wont regret it id say, people will just be lookin at the degree ya got in a few years, no1 will be wonderin how ya got on in the leavin!!

I know mate but i'm just thinking if i pushed myself i would have prob got Radiography or Physiotherapy or something along those lines.

Too late now i suppose and as you said i got my first choice.

Congrats on your points btw. Well done.

• Advertisement

cheers, same 2 you man, what is your 1st choice anyways?

cheers, same 2 you man, what is your 1st choice anyways?

Science in Trinners. Wbu? How did you get on in Irish with you being from Dún na nGall and all!:pac::pac:

celtic723 wrote: »
    Science in Trinners. Wbu? How did you get on in Irish with you being from Dún na nGall and all!:pac::pac:

i got a c2 ! sickend! thot i was lookin at a b2 or b1, ah well! im headin for st.pats on the gaeltacht application! it was 430 last year so i should get it hopefully! u do hons irish?!

i got a c2 ! sickend! thot i was lookin at a b2 or b1, ah well! im headin for st.pats on the gaeltacht application! it was 430 last year so i should get it hopefully! u do hons irish?!

There's a huge difference in a C2 and B1 mate. I'd get the looked at if you feel hard done by!

I'd say your sorted no need to worry about that.

Ye i done Hons Irish and was pissed off with my result. B2 is what i got. Was hoping for B1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Yup, definitely. But then thats my own fault for leaving my study until the week before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GallowsGhost

I missed a ridiculous amount of days and rarely studied, just did the bare minimum. It was only in May that I started taking the whole thing seriously.
    I got 355, which should get me my first choice (unless it goes up by over fifty points, which -fingers crossed- it shouldn't) but I'm kind of regretting not doing more work. I keep thinking about what I could have gotten if I'd actually turned up for school more often, or did that three hours of study a night that you're suppose to do...
    I guess now I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

I got 405, but I really think I could have gotten 500+ if I put the head down.

I'm happy with my results, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I was terrible tbh, did no work and kept taking days off school and just didn't go in for the last two weeks (Although nobody on Boards seems to believe someone when they say they do no work for some reason)

I got 360, and I 100% definitely could have done better if I'd tried. I don't really care that much though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

Didn't anyone hear me?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Didn't anyone hear me?
    No.

Take a hint! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 NoHands

Considering I only started studying (or working at school for that matter) I was pretty pleased with 565 :P They were a hardcore 3 months though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I definately could have done better. I had my guidance councellor approaching me and saying that I was capable of achieveing at least 550 if I could study for the year.

I didn't :D. I studied for two weeks and I got 380. I know it would have felt great to get over 500 and there'd be a sense of pride. But what would have been the point if the course I was going for was 335? Also everybody doesn't mention the leaving cert anymore anyway.

Larkin501 wrote: »
    I definately could have done better. I had my guidance councellor approaching me and saying that I was capable of achieveing at least 550 if I could study for the year.

I didn't :D. I studied for two weeks and I got 380. I know it would have felt great to get over 500 and there'd be a sense of pride. But what would have been the point if the course I was going for was 335? Also everybody doesn't mention the leaving cert anymore anyway.

Well tbh i'm leaving my results on my CV for as long as possible as it looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

Pfft, the person who got 590 could say ''I could of got 600 if I really pushed myself''.

Point is, anyone can say they could of done better in hindsight but they didn't because they weren't driven enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

I'm sure that most of us could say we would have done better if we had applied ourselves more however I really do not see the point.

With the amount of work I put in I got 415 points. For the course I want to do I only need 300. The results I received were also roughly what I was aiming for.

I understand that higher points may come in useful in some circumstances however for those of us who have got the points we needed for our courses I don't see why you should worry about the extra points you could have got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Col Man

Isaac702 wrote: »
    I'm sure that most of us could say we would have done better if we had applied ourselves more however I really do not see the point.

Oh lol my good sir. Ha sorry.

Yeah I guess required effort is a personal thing. I know a few friends whose 1st choice was like 480 or something, and they got around 540. And were extremely disappointed.

Another friend is kicking himself for only getting 560... His course was 485 last year I think.

I guess I would lean towards the view that once you make your 1st choice (and not your first on the CAO, but literally the course you most want to do at all [yes I know that's the course you're supposed to put first on your CAO....]), then that's all there is to it. It's only a gentle leaning though. In all honesty, I got 600 for a 450 point course. I'm not sure why, I guess I thought I was capable of it, and I didn't really have to put myself out all that much. I still had a really good year. In fact, 6th year was my favourite year of secondary school.

Unless you're really regretting it (i.e. didn't make your course etc.), then don't worry about not getting the maximum points you could have gotten. Just remember all the banter-times you had during the year, all the time you wasted on this glorious website, all the alcohol, all the girls (or guys) and say "oh yes. I do not regret enjoying those times".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Does anyone else feel.....

...suicidal? :)

Yes, yes I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i worked fairly hard for both years and only got 370
    fairly crushed really

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

if at the start of the year someone offered be 400 points on the basis i did my homework and studied for two hours everyday i woulda bit they're hand off..

instead i flunked all my xmas tests did no home work or study and scraped by in the mocks
    i took the projects and orals very seriously however and studied hard the month before wit all nighters everynight the week of the exam convinced i could get the 350 i needed
    i ended up with 410 ..it was an amazing feeling gettin into the 400s tbh never forget it considerin the last two years were so fun it like i gt the best of both worlds so i couldnt care less what i "would" have gotten thinking what i got is makin me smile:D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

tbh i did nothing for 2 years because i knew i only needed 230 points which i could get in my grave! Basically i started really brightly in 5th year my grades were all b's and a's but by the time i had decided i only needed 230 i scraped c's at everything! When i actually got a good result i became big headed and didnt study that subject thinking i was god's gift.Oh well i scraped the 300 mark so im into college and now that is where i really begin!Had a blast though doing nothing for a couple of years :D and im still into college. I'd say i'd easily get 500 with effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 reindeerarmy

2 years of the best craic of my life.
    My DCG class was mayhem, our teacher is soooo sound he's only 22 so he was like one of the lads everyday was comedy filled with one liners(country school so you can imagine the banter)we literly did nothing until christmas...i mean it i didn't own a folder and projects were finished on the deadline day...still got an A2(higher).
    History-my teacher had a grudge against some of our honours class and never gave us more than a C.....we retaliated by doing nothing for him, when it came time to hand up an essay we had always left it at home.....i got an A1 by studying solid from easter while all his pets got high C's low B's.
    English is the best of all. We had a teacher who watched Dead poets society way too many times. She was all about feeling the poetry and letting it course through our veins. Although she made most of us feel sick, we did start thinking that way, however i never managed more than a C for her...and guess what A1, she was reluctant to talk to me on the day of the results when i had outdone all her bright academic stars.

I got 465 in the leaving, i did an odd bit of homework, no more than an hour a night sometimes i did none at all, i was playing sport every night up until christmas. From easter onwards though i studied 3 hours in the evenings and an hour in the morning and still pulled off a pretty good result (top result for lads in my school...yes we're that middle of the road).
    The point of this long rant about how i did so little and got on relatively well is that unless you want medicine or some other course that requires a ridiculus amount of points, you don't need to become withdrawn form your friends and life.
    My biggest piece of advice to any future Leaving cert student is not to let teachers pressure you into doing meaningless assignments, they can shout at you all they like but you need to remember that in a years time they won't remember you and you'll have nothing to do with them. So any abuse they throw at you should be water off a ducks back.
    Only do what you feel is important and fill the rest of your time with things that you enjoy doing. The whole "there'll be loads of time for that after school" is bull****, they're goin to say that to you in college aswell and before we know it we'll be 25 and have a third of our lives over befor we start enjoying life...........over and out

Oh ya college is goin to be unreal......anyone else goin to U.L?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I really should have worked :P. Got 410 with a bit of work and homework, course was 355 last year and my aim was about 420, so am happy but probably could have gotten about 450 if I worked really hard in 6th year and more if I had worked the last 2 years.
    But am still delighted, I love each and everyone of my points :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

The past two years I've been scared poopless of the LC because of various stories from people about how 'hard' it is, so I pretty much bottled it and didn't study anything apart from English and maths in sixth year, purely because they were the only subjects I really liked, and in studying them I felt as if I was actually doing something. At the same time, I went out to friends pretty much every night, and because of that the night before every exam during the LC was spent cramming in what I should have learned over two years. I convinced myself that it'd be impossible to get 555 (what I'd need for Vet Med in UCD), and left everything but English and maths 'til the night before. I ended up coming out with 485, and I'm sickened, because if I had've actually believed in myself and not gone along with all the mania and the hype of the LC being ridiculously hard, I definitely could've gotten what I needed. At the same time though, I've enough for my second choice, which I'd love to do just as much as my first, so it's all good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

As long as you get your first choice does it really matter how many points you got?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

I dossed a fair amount in 5th and 6th.
    Started copping on in 6th year a bit, with study group etc, and began doing all my homework properly.
    Didnt study much at home, spent a lot of time napping.

I didnt study much before the Leaving Cert either, and i noticed that when i was sitting the exam, all the stuff i learned from doing that homework came flooding back, whereas i remembered nothing of what i 'studied'.

I got 400 in the end, should have got 450 probably had i worked slightly harder.
    The kick in the teeth is, if i worked consistantly from 5th year onwards, and focused just a little bit more from Sept of 6th instead of May of 6th, i could have easily reached 500.

Advice for next years LCers; Do your homework, and do it properly - you're learning nothing from copying out of books or copying off other people. Practice exam questions. And study for every class test. Even if you do just that much, you'll find the weeks before the exams a hell of a lot less stressful.

Advertisement