Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Catalogue Clearance! Up to 85% off items!!

Options
  • 15-08-2009 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

All Argos stores are having a catalogue clearance sale at the moment, some great deals e.g A Bush 42" HD LCD TV for just over €500! Don't know if all stores have their clearance items on display, but they do in Waterford. If not, just ask a member of staff can you see the store's R.O. list which contains all their clearance items. Loads of PS3, Wii, Xbox, DS games, rugs, curtains, bedsheets, jewelley, sports equipment, preschool toys, kitchen equipment, lighting, mini systems, TV's, furniture, dinner sets etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Business must be slow for argos these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Its end of cat clearance,

They simply clear stock not included in their new catalogue, this happens like 4 times a year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Is there a way to access these clearance items on the web?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Argos are ridiculously over priced. A Samsung 32" HDTV that you can get in Harvey Normans for €400 is €650 in the new Argos catalogue :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

TheDoc wrote: »
    this happens like 4 times a year :)
    Twice a year - once at the end of the autumn/winter cat (around Jan), and once at the end of the spring/summer cat (around July/August)
    madmoe wrote: »
    Is there a way to access these clearance items on the web?
    Better off looking at the deals on the UK site, then typing the cat number into the Irish site to see the price here. Percentages off should be roughly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

snappieT wrote: »
    Twice a year - once at the end of the autumn/winter cat (around Jan), and once at the end of the spring/summer cat (around July/August)

Better off looking at the deals on the UK site, then typing the cat number into the Irish site to see the price here. Percentages off should be roughly the same.

I have seen some excellent offers posted on HUKD for argos, I then go onto the Irish argos site to see do they have a similar offer and more often than not, they don't:(:(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Argos Uk were doing 3 PS3 gamesd for 15 pound.
    Of course no mention of it on the Irish site.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Argos locally is almost 50% more expensive than their UK prices. Run a comparison. I was shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Didn't they have one of these last month, just before the new catalogue came out? Got Trauma Center New Blood on the Wii for €8, was well chuffed with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Maybe they read this in today's Indo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And thankfully Im only 15 minutes drive from the Argos Extra store in Strabane. Happy days :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sleipnir wrote: »

Prof Barry Smyth - champion of the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sleipnir wrote: »

lol welcome to early last year on the bargain alerts forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

holla! wrote: »
    All Argos stores are having a catalogue clearance sale at the moment, some great deals e.g A Bush 42" HD LCD TV for just over €500! Don't know if all stores have their clearance items on display, but they do in Waterford. If not, just ask a member of staff can you see the store's R.O. list which contains all their clearance items. Loads of PS3, Wii, Xbox, DS games, rugs, curtains, bedsheets, jewelley, sports equipment, preschool toys, kitchen equipment, lighting, mini systems, TV's, furniture, dinner sets etc.

Maybe get a loudspeaker and use it outside your branch, might get more in that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

tommy21 wrote: »
    Maybe get a loudspeaker and use it outside your branch, might get more in that way.

Well spotted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Laxie

http://www.cataloguecompare.com/ I've stopped shopping in Argos since it was posted here ages ago. Won't darken their door until they cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Example of how mad Argos prices are

Argos
    Rockband Band in a Box - Xbox 360.
    Excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee. 566/0043
    * Save €30.00
    * €119.99
    was €149.99

Smyths Toys
    Rockband Band in a Box - Xbox 360.
    was €84.99 now €44.99
    Band in a Box PS3, X360, PS2 & Wii

You could nearly buy 3 in Smyths for the Argos Price .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 holla!

jayteecork wrote: »
    Argos Uk were doing 3 PS3 gamesd for 15 pound.
    Of course no mention of it on the Irish site.

It's €23 in ireland. Got it myself to trade the games in to GameStop or Smyths and get new ones!:D

no that would just be silly now!:p

no that would just be silly now!:p

But how else do you expect people to come into your store? I'm not going to go the route of insulting you personally for having the cheek to pretend like your a real poster highlighting a bargain, but clearly you have some sort of vested interest from your first post on this thread. Argos continue to rip people off in Ireland but thankfully it looks like some are finally waking up to it. I will feel sorry for frontline staff who do not determine pricing when stores start to close (coming to you this winter!), but it is required. Until prices are within the same realm as the UK (and why shouldn't it be its only greed that fuels it here), then I will not set foot in Argos - apart from getting the catalogue to read up on items I want that I can source for 3 times less elsewhere! Who's with me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Flowertot

But how else do you expect people to come into your store? I'm not going to go the route of insulting you personally for having the cheek to pretend like your a real poster highlighting a bargain, but clearly you have some sort of vested interest from your first post on this thread. Argos continue to rip people off in Ireland but thankfully it looks like some are finally waking up to it. I will feel sorry for frontline staff who do not determine pricing when stores start to close (coming to you this winter!), but it is required. Until prices are within the same realm as the UK (and why shouldn't it be its only greed that fuels it here), then I will not set foot in Argos - apart from getting the catalogue to read up on items I want that I can source for 3 times less elsewhere! Who's with me?

so true even with sale prices they generally only come down to what other local shops are charging in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SandraD77

Laxie wrote: »
    http://www.cataloguecompare.com/ I've stopped shopping in Argos since it was posted here ages ago. Won't darken their door until they cop on.

http://www.cataloguecompare.com/ is a great site... just shows how much Argos are ripping off their Irish customers! Great idea for a site! Shame on ARGOS!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Had stopped buying in Argos because of the price difference and the feeling that I am being ripped off.

However was looking for two toys for DS and spotted them on clearance in Argos UK.

Just out of curiousity when I was in Swords, I went in with the codes and although they were not in the new catalogue, they had them in store. 8.99 in UK and 10.50 here which is ok to me.

Might be worth looking at the clearance in Uk, collect the code and phoning your local Argos if you want anything in particular.

Saved myself a journey up North

That's fine if you refuse to shop at argos and I would agree that many of their prices are ridiculous, but the price increases are due increases in import costs into the UK, which is bad news for Argos considering that over 60% of their products are manufactured abroad. This has pushed up prices in the catalogue as the retailer has had to absorb the cost. But it's not just in Argos, you will find that many retailers are doing this (Marks & Spencer, Tesco etc). The rising cost of imports and the decline of the sterling against the dollar is estimated to cost shoppers over £20billion in the UK. And let's not forget the VAT rates here in Ireland!! Anyway, I was just informing people of the few bargains that Argos do have! So if you want to rant about ridiculous prices, I suggest you do it in the rip-off Ireland thread!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That's fine if you refuse to shop at argos and I would agree that many of their prices are ridiculous, but the price increases are due increases in import costs into the UK, which is bad news for Argos considering that over 60% of their products are manufactured abroad. This has pushed up prices in the catalogue as the retailer has had to absorb the cost. But it's not just in Argos, you will find that many retailers are doing this (Marks & Spencer, Tesco etc). The rising cost of imports and the decline of the sterling against the dollar is estimated to cost shoppers over £20billion in the UK. And let's not forget the VAT rates here in Ireland!! Anyway, I was just informing people of the few bargains that Argos do have! So if you want to rant about ridiculous prices, I suggest you do it in the rip-off Ireland thread!

That is bull, yes import costs in the UK have gone up, but that has nothing to do with the price difference between UK and Ireland. There is little cost difference between importing to the UK and to Ireland. The only valid excuse is Irelands higher VAT rate, but Argos price differences are much greater then that and are even much greater then local Irish retailers (see my previous Samsung 32" HDTV example, €650 in Argos, €400 in Harvey Norman).

I'm one of those people who stopped shopping at Argos a year ago and I tell everyone I can about what a rip off they are.

Have to agree with BK, I bought a strand 3 door display up north from Argos as it was £391 (€451) but is a whopping €599 here in Ireland!! That is just unreal!

The Argos delivery guys yesterday that brought me the top half were laughing at how much the difference was, they were shocked and they work for Argos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Argos locally is almost 50% more expensive than their UK prices. Run a comparison. I was shocked.

There was a one man Tiger Paws tent advertised in the UK catalogue foe £24 and a few pence. It was advertised in the Irish catalogue for over €50!:eek: Rip off Ireland at its very best...

Defend your store and the rest of them all you want. Refute what we say all you want. But Argos won't survive in it's current form for very much longer. Hope you all saved when you were ripping us off, lean times ahead.

edit: This is not ranting, if anything my response was realistic and as you can see above, endorsed by many. Do your advertising elsewhere.

Is holla associated with Argos?

• Advertisement

madmoe wrote: »
    Is holla associated with Argos?

Can't be sure but his/her first post would indicate yes:

"All Argos stores are having a catalogue clearance sale at the moment, some great deals e.g A Bush 42" HD LCD TV for just over €500! Don't know if all stores have their clearance items on display, but they do in Waterford. If not, just ask a member of staff can you see the store's R.O. list which contains all their clearance items. Loads of PS3, Wii, Xbox, DS games, rugs, curtains, bedsheets, jewelley, sports equipment, preschool toys, kitchen equipment, lighting, mini systems, TV's, furniture, dinner sets etc."

Nobody writes like that unless they working there imo.

Advertisement