Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ouija boards

Options
  • 15-08-2009 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Ok could someone give me some real info on this because I hear mixed things about these boards all the time.A few friends of mine got together before and done one and nothing happened what so ever.Personally I would never do one, as I always remember the stories my mother used to tell me.I've heard bad stories mostly about these boards, but what can really happen if you mess with them ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

well thanks for your detailed responce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

The main theory of how it works involves something called the "ideomotor effect". This involves subconscious movements your muscles make.

The board measure's your subconscious responses. In other words, you are answering your own questions. They are not supernatural at all.

ahhh never heard of that before at all.Interesting I have to say......thanks for that :)

The Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t episode on Ouija Boards ran an experiment about it. It turned out to be bullsh*t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG4wTZuT3wM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    I've heard bad stories mostly about these boards, but what can really happen if you mess with them ?

The exact same thing as when you mess with any bit of cardboard: Nothing.

Ouija boards have a huge back catalogue of stories, tales, myths etc. If you believe in them you'll probably believe the ouija board works when the floorboard creaks or it starts to rain mid-game.

One reply already mentioned the ideomotor effect. Another way the pointer might move is if somebody is conciously moving it ie. tricking you.

When's the last time you opened the newspaper to see a headline like "6 people killed by Ouija board!!" Not even on a rag like the Sun.

They don't work. The only thing that happens is that you scare yourself silly (if you're gullible enough).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are over 40 threads about this topic in this forum, here is the search results.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=7989645

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just hold a seance, a lot cheaper than buying a board and if it works it's guranteed to make you cringe, I had to supervise one night to make sure nobody was up to any funny stuff, I walked out the most frightened man in the room....haven't really messed with the beelzebub since..

Thaedydal wrote: »
    There are over 40 threads about this topic in this forum, here is the search results.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=7989645

ill check that then, sorry bout that :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The posters who mentioned the ideomotor effect, or that nothing will happen, are all positing a skeptical opinion of them.

There is a whole other viewpoint that believes you contact the spirit world with them, that they are dangerous, and cause at the very least, psychological harm. Just putting that forward in the interests of balance. :)

I don't recommend messing with them anyway, regardless of whether you think they are a ridiculous toy or a spooky spirit doorway. People have been very disturbed by them, for whichever reason.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    The posters who mentioned the ideomotor effect, or that nothing will happen, are all positing a skeptical opinion of them.

There is a whole other viewpoint that believes you contact the spirit world with them, that they are dangerous, and cause at the very least, psychological harm. Just putting that forward in the interests of balance. :)

I don't recommend messing with them anyway, regardless of whether you think they are a ridiculous toy or a spooky spirit doorway. People have been very disturbed by them, for whichever reason.

Yes but that whole other viewpoint is completely wrong and it has been proven so. The players subconsciously move the pointer to what they want to hear (and often on player may be actively trying to influence it).

Its nothing more than a hunk of wood. FACT.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

karlog wrote: »
    Yes but that whole other viewpoint is completely wrong and it has been proven so. The players subconsciously move the pointer to what they want to hear (and often on player may be actively trying to influence it).

Im offering both viewpoints. Beliefs differ, and you need to respect that. FACT.

Im offering both viewpoints. Beliefs differ, and you need to respect that. FACT.

Well i can respect certain belief's of the religious and spiritual.....

but concerning ouija boards? If we want to start throwing around false belief's that you can actually talk to spirits through ouija boards, so be it.

Why dont we convince someone to take shrooms as a means to see into the future while were at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Yes but one is right and one is wrong. FAKT.

Overblood wrote: »
    Yes but one is right and one is wrong. FAKT.

In you opinion.
    You have to face the fact that people's opinions are based on their personal subjective experiences and respect them.
    You think they don't work and are a load of bullshít fair enough that's your opinion I disagree with it but am not going to tell you that you are wrong in your conclusions based on what you know, your personal subjective experience differ from mine so does your opinion, you entitled to it but you don't have the right to be saying your all wrong FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

A hunk of wood invented in the early 20th century and marketed for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

invented in the early 20th century.

Wow, you really must have done alot of research! :pac:

Spirit boards and tables have existed for longer then the patent on the ouija board.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

In you opinion.

No, proven by experiment.

No, proven by experiment.

Which conflicts with peoples subjective experience and beliefs.

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    Wow, you really must have done alot of research! :pac:

Spirit boards of other types are older, but the ouija board by that name is a recent invention.

Which conflicts with peoples subjective experience and beliefs.

If evidence conflicts with people's subjective experience and beliefs, those experiences and beliefs are wrong.

The Penn & Teller: Bullsh*t episode on Ouija Boards ran an experiment about it. It turned out to be bullsh*t.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG4wTZuT3wM

to be honest this proves nothing to me, especially coming from these guys.This looked as if it was a pisstake and I have no doubt it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

to be honest this proves nothing to me, especially coming from these guys.This looked as if it was a pisstake and I have no doubt it was.

dont be disillusioned,,, I had 8 mates who did it they asked bout there future and it only answered 6 of them,,,, the other 2 were killed shortly after at the same time,,, no future no point answering I guess.

oh no, that link was trying to say the board is full of **** ha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Spirit boards of other types are older, but the ouija board by that name is a recent invention.

Oh I know, Ouija Boards as they are now were invented in the early 1800 and there is still a patent held on the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I remember a friend and myself when we were...10 or 11, made a makeshift one, we sat out in her shed, feet touching feet, hands holding hands (her and I) so neither could move anything on the board, and... it moved.
    Freaked us the hell out. Got really cold in the shed then, despite the heat, we started arguing, then we got scared and threw it behind her shed and ran indoors.

that's all my experience of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

A friend of mine was addicted to playing with them, she became depressed and weird and tried to kill herslef because of something the board told her, she got help talked to a priest or someone and was fine then after, she never mentioned the boards or anything like that again,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I thought it was ironic how the use of a ouija board preceded the infamous Enfield Poltergeist case. I started a thread about it yesterday but I'm not trying to plug the damn thing or anything. But the girl on whom the weird activity was centred later admitted to having played an ouija board with some friends before all that sh!t kicked off. One of the other girls who played the board with her had some disturbing experiences as well following the use of the board. Weird apparitions or something. Well, allegedly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Ok could someone give me some real info on this because I hear mixed things about these boards all the time.A few friends of mine got together before and done one and nothing happened what so ever.Personally I would never do one, as I always remember the stories my mother used to tell me.I've heard bad stories mostly about these boards, but what can really happen if you mess with them ?

they used to be sold as a toy, until peole started having problems. the more you play around with it the stronger the energy will become.

personally i would never mess around with one. in the hands of an experienced practioner is another matter.

Advertisement