Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fleadh cheoil 2009 drawing near

Options
  • 15-08-2009 12:52pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the third year in a row Tullamore will host the fleadh cheoil.

So That got me thinking how do the locals feel about it?

I know some embrace it. Some accept it is happening but have little interest and others avoid it.

I avoid it. All that diddly music does my nut and I have little interest in making publicans any richer.

So from the words below which one would best describe your attitude to the fleadh,

Embrace?
    Accept?
    Avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Embrace!personally i dont particularly mind trad music,in small doses,so i embrace it to a certain degree. Ill be down listening to the spontaneous sessions,roaming around enjoying the atmosphere. Its one weekend where everyone seems in good spirits:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

offaly1 wrote: »
    Embrace!personally i dont particularly mind trad music,in small doses,so i embrace it to a certain degree. Ill be down listening to the spontaneous sessions,roaming around enjoying the atmosphere. Its one weekend where everyone seems in good spirits:)

Good stuff.

Its good for the town to have an event like this returning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Tullamore is getting alot of things in it lately, I think its a great idea, brings alot of life to the town :)

Tallon wrote: »
    Tullamore is getting alot of things in it lately, I think its a great idea, brings alot of life to the town :)

Its true, plenty of matches on in O'Conner park over the summer, Agri show, now the fleadh. The avearge Sunday in Tullamore is pretty dead so the town needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Embrace it for gods sake. There seems to be an awful lot of people who've lost touch with our heritage. And its not just the pubs that get richer, all the shops, people renting out rooms, restaurants etc. I know people who have a job this weekend because of the fleadh. We should be thankful its come here for 3 years running.

• Advertisement

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Embrace it for gods sake. There seems to be an awful lot of people who've lost touch with our heritage. And its not just the pubs that get richer, all the shops, people renting out rooms, restaurants etc. I know people who have a job this weekend because of the fleadh. We should be thankful its come here for 3 years running.

I assume you mean traditions or culture rather than heritage.

Your right its not the just the pubs. But I live in tullamore. The shops, restauraunts, hotels etc are not going to get any extra money from me if I embrace the fleadh. The only ones likely to get any extra cash out of me are the pubs so thats why i mentioned them.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I assume you mean traditions or culture rather than heritage.

Your right its not the just the pubs. But I live in tullamore. The shops, restauraunts, hotels etc are not going to get any extra money from me if I embrace the fleadh. The only ones likely to get any extra cash out of me are the pubs so thats why i mentioned them.

Sorry culture what i meant. I was thinkin of other threads at the time about ireland:-S Yea i live there too, and your right about only pubs getting money from locals but they wil get no more money from me than what i usually spend out. Feck it, it could be worse, enjoy the bit of craic. Thats the way i see it anyways, sure its not every night it happens, well not in my sitting room anyways:) il enjoy it anyways, even if its only for a stroll around town on the sunday, there's worse stuff ya could be at:)

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Sorry culture what i meant. I was thinkin of other threads at the time about ireland:-S Yea i live there too, and your right about only pubs getting money from locals but they wil get no more money from me than what i usually spend out. Feck it, it could be worse, enjoy the bit of craic. Thats the way i see it anyways, sure its not every night it happens, well not in my sitting room anyways:) il enjoy it anyways, even if its only for a stroll around town on the sunday, there's worse stuff ya could be at:)

I agree with you.

I don't have a problem with the Fleadh coming to town. It is good for the town.

I am not into what the fleadh is about and after year 1 I had my fill so I am happy to get out of town and leave the fleadh to the people into the events.

I was wondering how other people felt. Maybe a few locals will enjoy it enough to travel in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

I agree with you.

I don't have a problem with the Fleadh coming to town. It is good for the town.

I am not into what the fleadh is about and after year 1 I had my fill so I am happy to get out of town and leave the fleadh to the people into the events.

I was wondering how other people felt. Maybe a few locals will enjoy it enough to travel in years to come.

Exactly, I went into town last night and will head in later, not for the music but just for the atmosphere. I wouldn't travel away to the fleadh but when its in Tullamore, why not see what's going on.

medoc wrote: »
    Exactly, I went into town last night and will head in later, not for the music but just for the atmosphere. I wouldn't travel away to the fleadh but when its in Tullamore, why not see what's going on.

Well have a good time.

One thing I noticed was closing the middle of town works pretty well. It would be good if the middle of town was turned into a mini grafton street, maybe turn some of the empty buildings into shops.

Oh and when I was in town Mr Cowan was doing the rounds.

• Advertisement

Well everybody. The fleadh is all over.. hope everyone enjoyed it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Well have a good time.

One thing I noticed was closing the middle of town works pretty well. It would be good if the middle of town was turned into a mini grafton street, maybe turn some of the empty buildings into shops.

Oh and when I was in town Mr Cowan was doing the rounds.

Yep, saw the fat twat myself....turned my back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

offaly1 wrote: »
    Well everybody. The fleadh is all over.. hope everyone enjoyed it!!

NO!

Not when I spend my days driving a hackney around Tullamore!:mad:

BOLT wrote: »
    Yep, saw the fat twat myself....turned my back!

I was actually just going to comment on how i seen him last year and didn this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭shnaek

I thought it was great. I got to meet a lot of Tullamore heads I haven't seen in years, the atmosphere around was great, and the music was top notch. Fair play to the organisers for bringing some festivity to the place!

Said in the tribune ther today that there was 90boats in town for the fleadh:O. I didn think it was that much but the tribune dosn lie:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Really enjoyed it, apart from the weather, have to say that as usual the Monday after it was over was the best session, even if half the pubs couldn't get ESPN to show the Liverpool match !

BOLT wrote: »
    NO!

Not when I spend my days driving a hackney around Tullamore!:mad:

ah noway:(
    was gonna say if its was your own im sure you were happy, but if your just driving for some company... i can understand why you be mad, as your not benefiting... :o

Oh well ... Im sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i avoided it . and from one shop owner the week of the fleadh was a disaster takings wise . a lot of people avoided the town by the looks of things .

if only i sold booze then im sure i would of made money.

im glad for all the hotels and b&b's that they finally had a full week and hope that they didnt have to replace much after all the breakages were found.

Advertisement